Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
OK, so who has pre-ordered the K-5 already?

Just curious if anyone has ordered one yet, or are we all going to wait until the smoke clears and the real (and hopefully better) price comes to light? I know Amazon says you will only get charged the lowest price from the time you order until shipping time, but I still don't like to pre-authorize higher stuff on my cc if I don't have to.

09-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #2

I did, through Amazon. Time will tell!
09-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did, in my DREAMS last night. It came with the new 15-500mm/f2 kit lens. But I will probably do so for real shortly so my K20D can go for a visit to Eric H.
09-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #4

I did through Amazon. Body only option.

Joe

09-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I did, in my DREAMS last night. It came with the new 15-500mm/f2 kit lens. But I will probably do so for real shortly so my K20D can go for a visit to Eric H.
Sure you did!

Imagine this with your 400/2.8 !!!! Oh! By the way, this last posted photo of the eagle is splendid!! Congrats!

JP
09-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Sure you did!

Imagine this with your 400/2.8 !!!! Oh! By the way, this last posted photo of the eagle is splendid!! Congrats!

JP
Seeing this thread did rev up the CBA and I just made the move through Amazon. Never in my life have I been the pioneer for an untested product but PF.com is to blame!

Yes, now with the higher iso and big lens and a TC I can still get that 1/1000 shutter for marsh bird action instead of choosing blur versus noisy when light is low. I hope.....

Thanks for comment on the Eagle. I get lucky now and then.
09-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Seeing this thread did rev up the CBA and I just made the move through Amazon. Never in my life have I been the pioneer for an untested product but PF.com is to blame!

Yes, now with the higher iso and big lens and a TC I can still get that 1/1000 shutter for marsh bird action instead of choosing blur versus noisy when light is low. I hope.....

Thanks for comment on the Eagle. I get lucky now and then.
My advice is to return all complaints directly to Adam !

I am sure you will be pleased.

Regarding the comments re: the Eagle ... this is not luck; you have improved a heck of a lot in your technique for bird photo! I also took a look at some other pics (heron, hummies...) excellent.

Take care and continue showing us great stuff.

JP

09-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I would have pre-ordered one already.

But it seems like the K-5 won't have manual video controls or 24 fps video.

In which case, I might just as well pick up a used K-x for cheap, and keep shooting my K20D for stills.

Pentax, why do you want to lose sales instead of making small firmware upgrades to your pro models?
09-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I would have pre-ordered one already.

But it seems like the K-5 won't have manual video controls or 24 fps video.

In which case, I might just as well pick up a used K-x for cheap, and keep shooting my K20D for stills.

Pentax, why do you want to lose sales instead of making small firmware upgrades to your pro models?
What does the K-x video have over the K5? Manual controls? I thought the K5 was going to have manual focus and controls, just not AF during video?
09-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #10

I've preordered! Can't wait! I'm looking forward to the hopefully faster AF (than the k20d)
09-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I DID.........not !
09-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #12

i would have except for the shallow buffer - 8 raw frames is well its entry level not flagship - k5 should have had a larger raw image buffer than the k7 not worse

i been swithering on weather to get one or not at the moment i'm thinking not will invest in glass this year and wait for the k-3
09-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
What does the K-x video have over the K5? Manual controls? I thought the K5 was going to have manual focus and controls, just not AF during video?
The K-x will have 24 frames per second. The real question, if I'm buying another DSLR specifically for video, is what does the K5 have over the K-x. Answer: not much. Slightly higher resolution. A frame rate that is a pain in the a$$, because I will need to retime it to 24fps. Without the advantages of true manual exposure controls, why spend $1000 more than a K-x? It doesn't make sense.
09-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm leaning towards definitely buying a K-5, but I'll wait until the fog clears on some of the questionable specs, and some real-world results on performance and IQ.
09-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

PentaxForums has!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: