Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #1

Bracketed Exposures - K10D vs K5

Hi,

One of the things I've noticed about my K10 is that if I want to do bracketed exposures (let's say 5) and I want to use the 2sec mirror up timer then I have to press the shutter release 5 times, one for each exposure...ideally I want to just press the button once and the camera immediately take all the exposures I've requested (I know that other makes of camera work this way).
Does anyone know if the K5 will require multiple presses of the shutter button or whether it will fire off all the exposures in sequence when used in timer mode?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

09-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
no, custom function 7 on the Pentax K7 enables one touch bracketing, which can be used in conjunction with the 2 second timer w/Mirror lock up.

I'm pretty sure the K5 will have the same feature, and will hopefully improve on it.
09-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
no, custom function 7 on the Pentax K7 enables one touch bracketing, which can be used in conjunction with the 2 second timer and mirror lock up.

I'm pretty sure the K5 will have the same feature.
That's good to know, I don't use bracketing an awful lot but it's good to know that when I do I can use it in that way...

Thanks for the reply.

Mark
09-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Already the K20 is doing it in one go.

The K5 has additionally a 2-step version: 0/+ and 0/-.

09-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Already the K20 is doing it in one go.

The K5 has additionally a 2-step version: 0/+ and 0/-.
blende,
I'm not sure what you are describing here, because the K20 already has this same feature, i.e. 2 EV steps plus or minus.

For the OP, I gave away my K10 to a relative, but the last time i looked, it had no feature to automate the whole thing to one click. I use that feature, i.e. a 2 second MLU before each step. However, if you buy yourself a cable shutter release, you can step through the manual initiation pretty quickly. Also the cable shutter release is useful in multiple image actuations to judge the exact moment to release it.

Here's an HDR tip, if you want to take more exposures with your Pentax than just 3 or 5, just use AV and a one to 2 step EV offset from the normal exposure setting and you'll get a second set which when combined with the first steps will give you more range.

good luck with the HDR,
09-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
blende,
I'm not sure what you are describing here, because the K20 already has this same feature, i.e. 2 EV steps plus or minus.
What I meant was:
K10-K7 only allow 3- and 5-step bracketing.
The K5 has additionally a 2-step bracketing.
09-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
What I meant was:
K10-K7 only allow 3- and 5-step bracketing.
The K5 has additionally a 2-step bracketing.
Thank you, now i understand, so cool. glad to see pentax keep enhancing their HDR capabilities!! some of the best of all the makes.

09-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I forgot what the answer to this one was:

If MLU is enabled on the K20D, when you fire off a bracket, it will go for 2 seconds between each shot in the bracket.

In the K-7, does it just flip the mirror up once, and trip the shutter (without releasing the mirror) for each shot? The K20D's behavior is kind of silly, since there is zero need for metering or autofocus operation between bracket shots, thus the mirror should stay up for the whole bracket sequence.
09-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies...looks like the K5 will almost definitely allow one shot bracketing. I'd be interested to know the answer to Entropys question as well, it would certainly make sense for the mirror to remain locked up during the exposures...
09-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
In the K-7, does it just flip the mirror up once, and trip the shutter (without releasing the mirror) for each shot?
No, but there is a workaround. When you activate Liveview, the mirror stays up during the bracketting sequence.
09-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Mark,

I do a fair amount of bracketing with both my K100 and K20. In this regard they both operate the same. Enable the bracketing mode and a single depress of the shutter (and holding it down) will take the 3 or 5 frame sequence. In addition, if you have a wired remote connected (even with the camera turned off), depressing the external shutter will enable to taking of the multiple frame sequence. For the remote IR the camera has to be on so that the IR receiver is enabled to receive the external command.

I don't have the K10 nor ever used one, but I can't imagine that it would be that much different, in that the K100 preceded it while the K20 following it.