Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How important is it to have tethering on the K5?
I have to have it or I'm not spending that much money on the camera!!! 1522.06%
The K5 is so good looking on paper that if it's not on there, I can over look it. 2130.88%
If it's included, I might try it. 1927.94%
I'll never use it!! What's tethering anyway. 1319.12%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #31
wll
Veteran Member

On a side note :- )

Does Ben use tethering ?

I wonder in his line if it is a major concern. I think he uses Canon also, and does Canon's Tethering feature make a difference in what camera he uses. Some clients wish to see what is going on in real time.

wll

10-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
On a side note :- )

Does Ben use tethering ?

I wonder in his line if it is a major concern. I think he uses Canon also, and does Canon's Tethering feature make a difference in what camera he uses. Some clients wish to see what is going on in real time.

wll
Good question...these days I worry Ben might be shopping elsewhere...man I hope not because he really shows off what one can do with Pentax bodies if you try....and of course that evil bastard pcarfan and his legendary "frog shot" in the thread dedicated to the FA Limiteds...and oh, yeah, Robin (rparmar), jsherman (just the best shots and I love seeing them)...but those and a few dozen others really show it's not just the name on the camera but the "EVIL Genius" behind the glass...
10-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ok, I thought I would add this, I don't really want to open a new thread about tethering, we already have more than enough...that alone should show the interest is sincere and pretty wide spread...if nothing else it's helping many who never heard of or understood the feature. But here are some reference PF threads and other thoughts...I promise this is my last longer post on the topic:
There are more but for those who don't have much or any experience with tethering I hope these offer some insight into the process. If you look at the "Related Threads" section at the bottom of any thread where tethering is the primary topic you can find the above and many more...

For people still confused by all this perhaps a great way to think of full feature tethering is it moves all control of the camera settings, live view and everything in between onto your computer.

I have a question for those using the HDMI option while in live view mode on your K-7 or even composite output to a display with a K10d/K20D or other model Pentax body that supported tethering (I am only a bit under 2-yrs back into Pentax so my understanding of the history and evolution of the bodies is margin and sketchy in many spots.) But does the Live View on the K-7 support changing settings on the camera (unlike the K20D which does not allow any changes in live view mode)? If so then does the external output allow a screen overlay to show the settings?

I know the above is not close the real tethering but really I am trying to find a way to let me live with the possibility of not having tethering on the K-5. I truly want to stay, but needs must over loyalty and enjoyment of the brand on the front. I think for everyone who does not need tethering Pentax might very well have hit that home run with the K-5 that can bring the camera to the forefront of the market...assuming no after release sensor issues which, btw, I think Pentax seems to be doing a better job in making sure does not happen compared to the K-7 production release build.

Anyway, any info will be either re-assuring ot increase my daily xanax intake by ohhh...50x...hahahaha...btw, that would certainly be fatal so I do not recommened it for anyone who is not serious about their exit strategy and highly recommened Canon instead because lawds only now what the photography options are in the great beyond...it might be...shudder...old Polarorids or Kodak 110 Instamatics!! hehehehe...
01-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #34
Inactive Account

I am very unhappy that there is no tehrering on K5 ...
I am using my K10D for astrophoto, so setting time, ISO, remote shooting (all from the laptop) and then instant viewing of the photos in full scale is for me necessary. Similarly, taking of series (exposure time about 3-7 min for 1 photo, the series will be then stacked and processed in a special kind of software and one pretty picture will be generated) is for me needed. Without tethering I have to touch telescope (with mounted camera) if I want to change some parameters while taking the series and the picture is then moved on the chip ...

I wanted to buy a new camera. I have a set of lenses for K10 (my wife shoots macro) and the big ISO of K5 is ideal for astrophoto, so the Pentax K5 would be the logical step. But without tethering I must look for another brand :-(.

P.S.
Sorry Pentax, it was possible with K10D so why not K5 ???

01-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #35
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benackac Quote
. But without tethering I must look for another brand :-(.
well I can certainly understand that! It isn't physically possible to get good astro photos untehered. I've always wondered though, just how they used to tether film cameras, to computers that hadn't been invented yet, to produce some very stunning astro photos back in "the old days".
01-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure I really understand this "tethering"....someone explained it a while back but I forgot just how it is best used. I also read where someone wrote a program that allows it on the K5.....what about that? If my K20D does it, and I didn't even realize it, I doubt that it is something I would miss....personally. If it had it and didn't have the fantastic High ISO IQ of the K5....now that would concern me.....you too?
Best Regards!
01-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #37
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
...If it had it and didn't have the fantastic High ISO IQ of the K5....now that would concern me.....you too?
Best Regards!
Well I'm convinced!!!!!!!!!!!

If someone needs a feature they should shutup because they have other features.

01-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #38

Esto ya lo he publicado en este foro en otro post, pero lo repito, aquí tenéis software pasa la k5 para controlar la cámara desde el pc

https://sites.google.com/a/pentax.org.pl/tomaszkos/en

Saludos
01-02-2011, 01:42 AM   #39

k5

Esto ya lo he publicado en este foro en otro post, pero lo repito, aquí tenéis software pasa la k5 para controlar la cámara desde el pc

https://sites.google.com/a/pentax.org.pl/tomaszkos/en

Soporta estas cámaras: k-x, K7, K5, k-r, K20D, K10D, K200.

Saludos
01-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #40
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by azimuthal Quote
Well I'm convinced!!!!!!!!!!!

If someone needs a feature they should shutup because they have other features.

That is not what I said, but if you read the Poll, you might come to that conclusion.
Regards!
01-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have it I use it so what

Couldn't answer the poll.

As tethering has been available for practically all Pentax cameras for a few months the poll doesn't have the

Have it use it what's all the fuss .?

I guess every answer is invalid in the won't buy camera until category.