Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Talk me into buying both the K-5 *AND* K-r!

Hi, I am a K10D owner.

Nearly bought a K-x last year because of the positive reviews. I wanted a pink or purple version (they are my favourite colours), so kept waiting and hoping ...

Well, the pink and purple K-x is now finally here, but the new cameras are on the horizon.

I would LOVE a purple K-r, but not sure how long I have to wait for that.

In the meantime, I'm getting very excited with the K-5 and wondering whether I should buy the K-5, but then keep on waiting for a purple K-r and buy that as well.

Is that too silly, or does it make sense?

PS - I really enjoy the controls on my K-10D, particularly the twin dials and easy access to key functions. I am a bit nervous that the K-r will cramp my shooting. So I'm thinking K-5 for serious shoots, K-r with pancake lenses for point and click.

10-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I really enjoy the controls on my K-10D, particularly the twin dials and easy access to key functions. I am a bit nervous that the K-r will cramp my shooting. So I'm thinking K-5 for serious shoots, K-r with pancake lenses for point and click.
I also think that the lack of both e-dials will be a bit annoying for you should you decide to get both bodies. The K-r doesn't really boast anything over the K-5 (that we know of), so I sort of think that it would be a bit redundant to get both. One would probably stay in the closet and collect dust.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi, I am a K10D owner.

Nearly bought a K-x last year because of the positive reviews. I wanted a pink or purple version (they are my favourite colours), so kept waiting and hoping ...

Well, the pink and purple K-x is now finally here, but the new cameras are on the horizon.

In the meantime, I'm getting very excited with the K-5 and wondering whether I should buy the K-5, but then keep on waiting for a purple K-r and buy that as well.

PS - I really enjoy the controls on my K-10D, particularly the twin dials and easy access to key functions. I am a bit nervous that the K-r will cramp my shooting. So I'm thinking K-5 for serious shoots, K-r with pancake lenses for point and click.
Yes. There is nothing that the K-R can do that the K-5 cannot do. If you have a K-5 why would you need a K-R? Not to mention there is no guarantee Pentax will release a purple K-R. You should look at the K-X percentage sales by color chart. Chances are if the purple K-X wasn't among the top sellers, Pentax won't create it.
10-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So I'm thinking K-5 for serious shoots, K-r with pancake lenses for point and click.
I'm thinking the K-5 is compact enough to serve both unless you are use to shooting with two bodies, I really wouldn't t see the sense in buying both. Especially if our coming from the K10D.

10-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So K-5 and wait hopefully for purple K-mount EVIL? :-)
10-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atomiccow Quote
Yes. There is nothing that the K-R can do that the K-5 cannot do.
Yes there is: IRsimple .
10-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Here you go..

Pink..

Purple

Blue

Red

Back when I was at Ford in the Mid 1990s, they had an experimental paint job on a preproduction 1996 Mustang, called Mystic. This paint would change colors based on how the light was hitting it. We only had the car for a few days because someone left the keys in it and it was stolen. It was recovered minus the least valuable stuff. The paint job was a $5000 option so I was told and I've never seen another like it. Anyway, I think it looks pretty bad-ass on a camera..

Something a little brighter

Last edited by JeffJS; 10-02-2010 at 01:36 AM.
10-02-2010, 02:42 AM   #8

sign me up for a rainbow k-5 =)
10-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #9
Banned

Yes it's silly. I have a K-7 and going to upgrade to the K-5. I'm going to keep the K-7 until the day that the yellow K-r hits Europe.

So if you want pink, go for it.
10-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

@JeffJS: Yes, I've seen cars with that colour. Usually tuned ones, cause they are expensive and don't come like that from the factory. Not sure I'm into it.

I don't really see the point in getting a K-r next to a K-5 either, except as backup body. The size advantage can be neglected, and there's nothing the K-r should be better at. If you want a second point & shoot body, try something like the Sony NEX-3 or 5, I think the 5 also comes in pink... not sure though.

I like my camera in black though... or camouflage.
10-02-2010, 05:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you need two bodies (and can afford them) by all means buy two bodies. But I would be cocerned that you find it difficult, or at least confusing to have two with very different controls. You would learn to favour one over the other which would end up being left on the cupboard more often than not - a bit of a waste. What use is a purple/pink anything that is stuck out of sight? If you need two bodies and have the cash to splash buy a K-5 and perhaps a pre-loved K-7.
10-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
@JeffJS: Yes, I've seen cars with that colour. Usually tuned ones, cause they are expensive and don't come like that from the factory. Not sure I'm into it.

I like my camera in black though...
So do I. The success of the color schemes in the entry dSLRs shows however, that people like options. For me, the novelty would be gone in about a week and I would be regretting the decision to go with a colored camera.

The Mystic colored Mustang was a new sight for me back then. I've long admired the custom paint jobs that some people do on their cars and prefer the car to stay one color.

10-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I'd take a "Titan" silver K-5 in a heartbeat! But it seems they only release those after a year or so...

(Not sure I can wait that long!)
10-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If only they made the K-5 like this:

Or perhaps an all pink version:
10-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The rainbow k5 is seriously cool!