Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
That is true, but without marketing it is very hard to increase sales, or know what products the market demands.
The history has showed many times that "worse products" can be more popular if the marketing is done right.
Right you are Fogel. Look at the competition between VHS and Beta. We had both, much preferred the, IMO, higher quality of Beta.

VHS had better marketing....eventually Beta became the professional format....hmmmnnn

10-07-2010, 12:49 AM   #77

Photos: Albums
I think they should use their awards to reach the grand public. For instance, letting people know that they got an award in Photokina would be good.
In france, I can see Pentax ads in Photo magazines alongside with other brands. But none of the other brands advertises either on TV.... Pentax is selling well in France, they have their cams present on the shelves at the major electronics retailers ( Darty, Fnac, Boulanger...)
So it might be a matter of international presence, probably linked to their target sales and their advertisement means. I am quite surprised they don't more in the US, given the size of the market...
10-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #78
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
I'm not a "pro", hell I don't even consider myself that good. Could you elaborate for a plebeian like me? I tend to agree with tuco, how does marketing affect your business? I can understand If it's wanting to ensure the continued existence of your choice of camera or that more marketing will lead to more money for Pentax to invest in R&D, and eventually new products. However, I have to wonder why a "pro" would buy into a system that doesn't already meet their needs or why there would be much hesitation to switch brands if it would actually affect you're bottom line. If it's public perception, does camera brand really matter more than the photos you take? If so, then why not switch, it's just a tool. I can't help but feel a bit of condescension in your post, maybe it was unintentional. Tuco is certainly capable of taking "pro" quality photos, whether he gets paid for it seems irrelevant.

Also, what about the K-5 "Sit's Canon and Nikon Straight back on their ass"? It seems like a great camera, and certainly worthy of our support and Hoya's ad dollars, but I can't help but feel there's a bit of hyperbole going on here.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer. I agree the the K-5, k-R, and 645D look great and Pentax could use more advertising, for sure.

Edit: After doing a little research, I feel like such a dummy. I thought the troll was a real person, I can't believe I offered it food.
It would be refreshing if one would not jump to the conclusion that one is a "Troll".

Some that post here are "experts" in Pentax PK mounts and I have probably had more in my hands than you will ever have in a lifetime.

Here is a link to some of the less than top rated Pentax lens's I have owned and still own more than one of each that I have had in my hands.

pentax_lenses Photo Gallery by Indecent Exposure at pbase.com

You would crap a 25+ pound brick with major hemorrhoids as a result. If I showed you some of my DA star lenses.

I do not need to, I have them and you do not.

Look let's get something straight. I post in this forum for informing, not to mislead. I post here when I have time to do so and to help and not degrade forum members.

If you are so "daft" of mind to think that someone like myself whom has been exclusively using Pentax equipment for over 30+ years has not established a "working relationship" with Pentax/Hoya. You are sincerely fooling "yourself".
10-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Indecent Exposure Quote
Quite honestly it knocks the competition straight back on their ass with a "wow" factor. How did Hoya/Pentax do that ? !!!!!!!!
The truth is it's all in the minds of consumers. Perception is a funny thing and Steve Jobs knows it all too well.

10-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #80
Inactive Account

Original Poster
But the truth is the K-5 camera body and lens sets "knocks the competition straight back on their ass !" What works "works". Plain and simple.

I guess Pentax/Hoya better think it out. Mainstream is what sells. The best part is Pentax "Has The Product" They should do something about it. Why in the Hell did they make it in the first place?

Last edited by Indecent Exposure; 10-12-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: More thoughts
10-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #81
Inactive Account

It would be refreshing if one would not jump to the conclusion that one is a "Troll".
Sorry, but I did not jump to conclusions. I did some research and my BS meter shot to 11. I find far too many strange coincidences to take your posts seriously. Maybe I'm mistaken, if so I apologize. You'll have to forgive me for finding it all just a little bit fishy.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/35209-wendy-b-conundru...tml#post343628

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/welcomes-introductions/37101-wow-what-rea...tml#post343647

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/75228-hoya-pentax-2010...tml#post806043

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/96709-kx-giveaway-rumo...tml#post985168

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/64467-if-you-want-k-7-...tml#post656832

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/114977-pentax-k-5-offi...ml#post1191757

Some that post here are "experts" in Pentax PK mounts and I have probably had more in my hands than you will ever have in a lifetime.

Here is a link to some of the less than top rated Pentax lens's I have owned and still own more than one of each that I have had in my hands.

pentax_lenses Photo Gallery by Indecent Exposure at pbase.com

You would crap a 25+ pound brick with major hemorrhoids as a result. If I showed you some of my DA star lenses.

I do not need to, I have them and you do not.
I don't recall entering a pissing match on who has or will have the most gear. I also can't seem to find the link to all your gear on pbase. I'm sure it's truly remarkable, but excuse me if I fail to see what that has to do with the price of tea in china.

Look let's get something straight. I post in this forum for informing, not to mislead. I post here when I have time to do so and to help and not degrade forum members.

If you are so "daft" of mind to think that someone like myself whom has been exclusively using Pentax equipment for over 30+ years has not established a "working relationship" with Pentax/Hoya. You are sincerely fooling "yourself".
In a previous post you said you have never tested for Pentax, but now you are. Things change, sure... but after the strange prior occurrences why should I believe you now?

In my post I asked questions that you didn't answer. How does Pentax marketing affect your business? What about the K-5 will knock owners of the 7d, 1ds, 1d, 5d, d3, d3x, d700, d300s, d7000, etc. back on their ass?
10-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Why does it bother you? Who cares if everyone else doesn't know about it. Is there some need to be on the "winning side"?
If Pentax want to keep selling products then they have to "bother", or sink without trace.
It's how selling stuff works, make a good product, advertise successfully, sell more product, reinvest.

10-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ah, Wendyb...

Having returned home from quite a wonderful Sports weekend.

Something holds true about Pentax. On the sidelines at the Michigan Indiana football game on Saturday. The press photographers again chuckled " here she is again with her (cough, cough, cough,) Pentax equipment. All 30 or so of these photographers, which I work with on a regular basis, take great fun in poking fun at this. While they run around with their C&N equipment. Boasting their greatest new hard on's in camera equipment

But my next assignment on Sunday took me to the (cough, cough, cough,) Detroit lions @ Packers Game. While unpacking my F* 250-600 from its case another photographer that was also at the Indiana venue. Cracked off a comment of "are you still shooting with those old crap Pentax lenses?"

Another photographer in our group shot back at him " then why the hell is she more published than all of us as a whole?"" Might it be she uses Pentax?"

Not one of them took the time to notice the black tape over the branding on the camera body.
They were to busy poking fun at me for using Pentax. Except the one who noticed.

By now Pentax/Hoya has figured out who I am, but after 30 some years of devotion and cooperation to this brand. Why not use true story about Pentax in the field of the real world?

The response to this should be quite a good read.

Any other old timers on this forum remember "wendyb"? Good times...