Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I had to deal with a few repairs and I think it's faster shipping the defective product to Pentax Canada directly than to go through the store where you purchased it. The downside is that you have to pay the postage to send it (but the return is free) and to pack the thing correctly. I've sent my DA* 16-50mm 2 times that way and my K20D and it was always relatively fast (2-3 weeks max.). The K-7 I returned through the store, I waited almost 5 weeks.
In that case, it looks like doing your own shipping is worth the effort in the end.
I'll keep that in mind if this is something I ever have to do.

JP

10-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone ever ordered a camera from the USA, had a problem with it and ran into warranty problems because we are in Canada? Or it could have been a lens?

I'm asking this because in spite of the really close exchange rate between the USA and Canada, as we speak, I notice that most of the time the prices are way better "down there".

JP
10-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Has anyone ever ordered a camera from the USA, had a problem with it and ran into warranty problems because we are in Canada? Or it could have been a lens?

I'm asking this because in spite of the really close exchange rate between the USA and Canada, as we speak, I notice that most of the time the prices are way better "down there".

JP
Bought my K-X kit from Newegg.ca but camera is from the USA and took the extended warranty . But everything is perfect up to now. Newegg was a lot cheaper last April than anybody else for the K-X . Now no advantage anymore
10-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

JP
With the current exchange rate, you can certainly save some money to shop from the USA. The only problem is the warranty which is reduced to 1-year instead of 2-years. If you use the benefit of the topping 1-year extra on your credit card (some do), you will be ahead of the game. If I have to purchase from Canada, Prodigital2000 would be the least expensive option.

10-06-2010, 03:36 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Wow, major difference with Pro Digital
Thanks
10-06-2010, 03:41 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The only problem is the warranty which is reduced to 1-year instead of 2-years.
Not only. Since one year or two Pentax Canada now ask a flat rate of 50$ for any international repair. It's written on their website. They probably were fed up to assume the repairs for stuff they didn't make any money on.
10-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From what I have been seeing on the Web, my guess is that by the time Spring 2011 comes around, the K5 might sell for somewhere around $1200 !!
It went from the suggested retail price of $1699 USD (when it was first announced) and now you can order it at $1499 Cdn (or less?)!

I wonder if this trend will come true.
Perhaps Pentax has decided to be agressive toward the D7000 pricing?

JP

10-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Here a graph of the USD Price of the K-7 body from photoprice.ca
10-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #39
Veteran Member

As always, the market (that's us) will set the target price: it's what we're willing to pay.

Pentax will set a floor below which we cannot drive them. This is done by setting the wholesale price.

Gear will sell at which ever is the higher of the two at any given time.

As has been noted elsewhere, the target street price is based on the value the market sees in the gear. That value is determined by the answers to two questions:

What is the thingie worth to me in itself?

What is it worth to me in comparison to other choices (Nikon, Canon, rent, etc.)?

So it's also dependent to a great extent on the competitive pressures. We don't know where all of this will go as we cannot figure out what our sales demand will be in six months, never mind knowing what competition will do in products and pricing strategies. All a wild guess now.

Except that we know that products have life cycles and that prices decline toward the end. That's it.

The graph above is especially interesting in that the January pricing is $100 more than October pricing. I can see the price firming or rising in November-December, but it's not until March that the October price is met. Odd, that.
10-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Here a graph of the USD Price of the K-7 body from photoprice.ca
Interestingly enough, this graph starts with peak prices during November - December, almost the same as for the K5.
So, if we take this graph and extrapolate for the K5, we should have some great prices comes next pring/Summer.

On the other hand, if the demand is strong, the price might not go down as much as that of the K7.

Thanks for the reply.

JP
10-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #41

Photos: Gallery
in Romania

K5 body = 1220 E
K5+18-55 = 1284 E
K5+18-55-200 = 1456 E
no 18-135 kit offer

The values are a little high especially for Romania income.
10-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #42

Not sure if it was mentionned here before,

was at the L.L. Lozeau Camera store in Montréal last night,
the new Pentax DA 18-135mm is listed there at 590.00$ CAD
but not in stock yet.

Last edited by mlatour; 10-09-2010 at 06:12 AM.
10-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #43
Veteran Member

L.l. Lozeau in Montreal is advertising the K-5 body at $1529 CDN . Not in stock yet
10-15-2010, 05:56 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
they could possibly be attracting pre-orders then adjusting prices as demand rises above supply.
10-15-2010, 06:31 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
they could possibly be attracting pre-orders then adjusting prices as demand rises above supply.
They could but CDN$ is still going up vs USD and stable versus Yen.
USD lost against yen

Now it's cheaper to buy a K-5 in Canada than in the USA(excluding tax)