Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 and K-r tested by Pentax Forum yet? ... When?

The title is likely to provoque some anxiety attacks! Wasn't meant to be but ...

Have Pentax Forum folks started to test the supposedly "in hand" K5 and K-r cameras yet?

Last I read about the subject (posted on the Home Page), there was mention that PF would have them for testing as of September 21, 2010.
Three weeks later, what's happening?

Sure! I am impatient but I look so forward to this before I take the plunge!

[I wasn't sure if this thread should go into "DSLR Discussion" or "News and Rumours"]

Mod's: If I missed a whole thread about this, please redirect me to it and delete this thread.

JP

10-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We're getting the first one (K-5 at least, K-r will come later), but it's not available yet! Still no clearer estimate from B&H, either- I spoke with them late last week.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We're getting the first one (K-5 at least, K-r will come later), but it's not available yet! Still no clearer estimate from B&H, either- I spoke with them late last week.
Wow, I didn't realize 'we' rated early copies. Well-done, Adam.
10-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback Adam.

Looks like another case of We-Are-Pentax-wait-for-us situation.

What is your time frame estimate from the time you receive the camera(s) and the test results?
Asking so I won't be nagging you again.

JP

10-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Can I have it after the testing is done?
10-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #6

Let me share my 30mins hands on preview of both K-5 and K-r.

Pentax has upgraded the interface for both new camera, and its slightly better than K-7 and Kx.
Some of the common features are:
1. Custom NR settings for different ISO (which I really like!!!)
2. Moving some custom settings to shooting settings
3. Can't remember anymore. :P

I've tested the shutter sound of K-r and K-x side by side, and I can't tell the difference, so no new improvement in that department.

K-5 shutter sound's quieter than K-7 when I shot them side by side. Really like the queiter sound.

I then tested the AF of K-5 and K-r with 18-55 and 18-135. My gut feel is that they are slightly faster than K-7 and K-x.

I shot K7 and K5 using AV setting, 135mm f5.6 auto ISO 3200 shutter 1/125s (maybe 1/160) and the noise of K5 is a lot better than K7 using side by side comparison on the default LCD zoomed in at 9.5x magnification. My estimation of the noise grain advantage is about 2x between them. I managed to reduce the difference to about 1x when I changed the custom image setting of K-7 to -4 High/Low Key -3 contrast -3 sharpening.

Sadly they sealed the memory card door in Pentax Square, else I would have shared the photos with you guys. Just treat this as an early appetizer to the real reviews from other sites I guess.

On the new 18-135mm lens, I think it focuses faster than my 16-50. It is very "spirited" when I change focus point from close to far object. The zoom ring that is on the far end of the lens (reverse of your typical focus and zoom ring) takes a while to get use to. Ok, maybe 10 sec.
I'll let other sites to test the sharpness and other quality of the lens. My impression is, its quite a nice walk-around lens for vacation and holiday just like the discontinued 18-250mm.

If K7 and Kx share the same Prime II processor as K5 and K-r, then I would want Pentax to upgrade my old camera with the new interface.

One last note, I asked for the DA(L) 35mm f2.4, and they don't have it yet. Scheduled release date in Nov.

Thats all from me.

Mike

Last edited by mcjm78; 10-13-2010 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Changed hightlight to High/Low Keys
10-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcjm78 Quote
Let me share my 30mins hands on preview of both K-5 and K-r.

Pentax has upgraded the interface for both new camera, and its slightly better than K-7 and Kx.
Some of the common features are:
1. Custom NR settings for different ISO (which I really like!!!)
2. Moving some custom settings to shooting settings
3. Can't remember anymore. :P

I've tested the shutter sound of K-r and K-x side by side, and I can't tell the difference, so no new improvement in that department.

K-5 shutter sound's quieter than K-7 when I shot them side by side. Really like the queiter sound.

I then tested the AF of K-5 and K-r with 18-55 and 18-135. My gut feel is that they are slightly faster than K-7 and K-x.

I shot K7 and K5 using AV setting, 135mm f5.6 auto ISO 3200 shutter 1/125s (maybe 1/160) and the noise of K5 is a lot better than K7 using side by side comparison on the default LCD zoomed in at 9.5x magnification. My estimation of the noise grain advantage is about 2x between them. I managed to reduce the difference to about 1x when I changed the custom image setting of K-7 to -4 High/Low Key -3 contrast -3 sharpening.

Sadly they sealed the memory card door in Pentax Square, else I would have shared the photos with you guys. Just treat this as an early appetizer to the real reviews from other sites I guess.

On the new 18-135mm lens, I think it focuses faster than my 16-50. It is very "spirited" when I change focus point from close to far object. The zoom ring that is on the far end of the lens (reverse of your typical focus and zoom ring) takes a while to get use to. Ok, maybe 10 sec.
I'll let other sites to test the sharpness and other quality of the lens. My impression is, its quite a nice walk-around lens for vacation and holiday just like the discontinued 18-250mm.

If K7 and Kx share the same Prime II processor as K5 and K-r, then I would want Pentax to upgrade my old camera with the new interface.

One last note, I asked for the DA(L) 35mm f2.4, and they don't have it yet. Scheduled release date in Nov.

Thats all from me.

Mike
Thanks for the hands-on try, Mike.

What again is evident here is that there are lots of similarities between the K5 and the K-r, much like there were with the K7 vs. Kx, although the latter had better high ISO noise handling.

If the AF, the ISO capabilities, FPS, etc ... are really this close (or maybe exactly the same), why would one spend a lot more money on the K5 when the K-r will do the same job?

Although I am a bit surprised to see that the supposedly better K5 AF is on par with that of the K-r.

Pleased to see that the new 18- 135 is actually feeling faster than my DA*16-50 -- this is the one you are referring to, right?

Again, thanks for sharing.

JP

10-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
What is your time frame estimate from the time you receive the camera(s) and the test results?
I'm really enthusiastic about reviewing the camera, and really want to produce a quality review of the camera (not the typical blog BS or DPReview banknote shots). Thus, we'll be working on the preview as expeditiously as possible while maintaining a focus on quality. It'll take some time for us to conduct and process tests, but I don't think it'll take more than a week after the body comes in. If the K-5 is in by October 28th, the review should be posted by the following Monday, and if it's made available after that, the review will be posted around November 18th.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm really enthusiastic about reviewing the camera, and really want to produce a quality review of the camera (not the typical blog BS or DPReview banknote shots). Thus, we'll be working on the preview as expeditiously as possible while maintaining a focus on quality. It'll take some time for us to conduct and process tests, but I don't think it'll take more than a week after the body comes in. If the K-5 is in by October 28th, the review should be posted by the following Monday, and if it's made available after that, the review will be posted around November 18th.
Great!

Looking forward to watch the results here!

Cheers!

JP
10-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #10

Great lets hope it's in by the 18th, you think the K-5 will have better noise performance than the K-r? or do they have the exact sensor?
10-14-2010, 03:39 AM   #11

Yup Jp,

I'm referring to DA* 16-50mm.

I've asked the staff in Pentax Square about which sensor between K-5 and K-r has better noise performance. He said K-5, due to the 51200 expanded ISO setting vs 25600 in K-r. He also mentioned that K-5 uses the Sony sensor, and K-7 used Samsung sensor.

Mike
10-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcjm78 Quote
Yup Jp,

I'm referring to DA* 16-50mm.

I've asked the staff in Pentax Square about which sensor between K-5 and K-r has better noise performance. He said K-5, due to the 51200 expanded ISO setting vs 25600 in K-r. He also mentioned that K-5 uses the Sony sensor, and K-7 used Samsung sensor.

Mike
Thanks Mike.

Too bad for my 16-50 then! But I still like it!

So, K5 would be the "better" one for noise handling ... can't wait to see tests comparing both; hopefully not a case similar to what happened between the K7 and Kx.

I own the K7, and of course, inspite of its less than stellar high ISO noise performance, it is still one great camera.

JP
10-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Looks like another case of We-Are-Pentax-wait-for-us situation.
Pff, like this doesn't happen elsewhere!
10-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Pff, like this doesn't happen elsewhere!
... of course it does!

JP