Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
As requested by jpzk, here's a random "real life" test I did yesterday under absolutely terrible light conditions. They aren't much to look at, but they do serve to make a point. I'll just quote myself from the other thread to do the explaining:

Keep in mind that this scene was quite a bit darker than these photos would lead you to believe, so all of them suffer from some motion blur (worsened by my amateur motion tracking technique). I thought about dialing down some EV compensation (which would make it look more like it did to my eyes) to bump up the speed, but he decided to call it quits then. But this is about AF-C under terrible lighting, so that's just a side note.

Here's a crop from one shot that was a total loss due to motion blur. Despite that, this crop shows that the camera still kept good focus.
I wish you had used ISO 25600. in RAW ofcourse)

10-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #122

QuoteOriginally posted by dotchoucou Quote
The best would be to try the camera at an indoor shooting range place.

Yes, I propose that we test the ability of the K-5 to AF.C on bullets and the tester can stand just to the side of the bulls eye target.
10-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #123

I finally got a chance to get to the arena with my new K5. I had the K20D, and always found it quite hard to balance the noise/AF etc. for the low light arena's when working with moving hockey players. SO.......after only one hockey game with the little guys, I find the K5 quite a step up from the K20D.
I have only cropped the attached photo's- no PP done. Shot with AF-C, spot focus, no in camera NR.
3200 ISO (god I love that) and all in a really dimly lit arena with nasty lighting.
My opinion- the higher ISO has given me a chance to up my shutter speed, plus the AF tracking is much better than my K20D. BTW the lens I used was the DA*50-135
Attached Images

10-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
I have only cropped the attached photo's- no PP done. Shot with AF-C, spot focus, no in camera NR.
3200 ISO (god I love that) and all in a really dimly lit arena with nasty lighting.
My opinion- the higher ISO has given me a chance to up my shutter speed, plus the AF tracking is much better than my K20D. BTW the lens I used was the DA*50-135
=============================

Quite clear shots at that ISO.

10-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #125

I definitely found a lot more "keepers" than I usually do. I found the K20D had a lot of slightly out of focus ones - whether they were motion blur because I had to go slower shutter, or if the AF just didn't track as well- I honestly think it was a bit of both. The higher ISO is making me very happy, and the AF on the K5 is quite a lot faster than before!
10-31-2010, 03:49 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote

Here's a crop from one shot that was a total loss due to motion blur. Despite that, this crop shows that the camera still kept good focus.
===================================

#123 - Thanks for posting those 'real-world' shots. IMO, and in that poor lighting with the subject requiring a fast shutter speed and a high ISO, the K5 performed admirably.

BTW, WHERE ARE THE SHOTS OF THE DUNCE ON THE BIKE?

LoL
10-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I finally got a chance to get to the arena with my new K5. I had the K20D, and always found it quite hard to balance the noise/AF etc. for the low light arena's when working with moving hockey players. SO.......after only one hockey game with the little guys, I find the K5 quite a step up from the K20D.
I have only cropped the attached photo's- no PP done. Shot with AF-C, spot focus, no in camera NR.3200 ISO (god I love that) and all in a really dimly lit arena with nasty lighting.
Job well done, Mokey!

It is with these kind of photos, real situations and not staged, that we can really appreciate the performance of an AF system.
I am pleasantly surprised that this was taken at ISO 3200, with non-ideal lighting conditions and that you used AF-C, just as I proposed when I started this thread.

Using a great lens obviously helps too!

Keep them coming photos!

JP

10-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #128

I've posted some from today's Bantam game in the "AF is not just improved...its beyond that" thread. Can't seem to post them here again. Those are ISO1600 with a faster kid coming at me, and it was shot thru glass(not the cleanest). AF-C also. No PP on these. I am very very impressed with the AF of the K5.
11-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've posted some from today's Bantam game in the "AF is not just improved...its beyond that" thread. Can't seem to post them here again. Those are ISO1600 with a faster kid coming at me, and it was shot thru glass(not the cleanest). AF-C also. No PP on these. I am very very impressed with the AF of the K5.
Yeah, once you post some photos one one thread, it seems the system won't allow you to post the same again in another thread.

I am just trying to keep all of the K5 AF Tests (NOT LV AF though) in one single thread .... easier to follow.

JP
05-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #130
Inactive Account

here some of my first BB game. I was on center point AF-c.

05-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #131
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I knew AF problems were over when Otis asked to pose for some "Action Shots"....and I nailed him!
[IMG] [/IMG]
05-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #132
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I knew AF problems were over when Otis asked to pose for some "Action Shots"....and I nailed him!
[/url] [/IMG]
Thanks, Rupert! That shot made me laugh out loud.
05-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #133
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Thanks, Rupert! That shot made me laugh out loud.
Life is short, a few smiles and a little fun never make it shorter. Sometimes we get too serious....sometimes I get too serious......those are the worst times of my life, because they signal that something is wrong, and most often it is just me that is wrong.
Best Regards
05-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #134
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wise words Rupert. And sometimes it's the "I don't do what I know to do" problem too. I do know that smiling invokes more muscles and less wrinkles than frowning, so it's also healthier for you.

The K-5 also gives me fewer frown wrinkles, its AF is responsive and fast enough to get the action well:

05-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LEON Quote
here some of my first BB game. I was on center point AF-c.
Great basketball shots!

Out of context ... where is MIGDAL HA-EMEQ ??

Cheers.

JP