Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

k-5 issue with the electronic level :(

I just received my K-5 and it's fantastic except the electronic level is off by 1-2 degree which isn't huge but it means the auto horizon correction doesn't work! I've checked it against an on camera bubble level, a carpenters level and my K7. I contacted Pentax but I apparently was the first person to contact them for K5 problems and they suggested I return it. So I'm returning it to Amazon but they don't expect to be able to ship a replacement until December (hopefully that's just bad information)! I love the K7 except for high ISO performance and the K5 seems to fix that and more...but why they can't have the level adjustment be user adjustable I can't for the life of me imagine! Has anyone else noticed this on the K5?

10-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same issue existed on the K-7, a lot of them had the level off. I sent mine to be fixed by Pentax, it's now fine.
10-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd wait to send it in until sufficient stock is in place for a quick turn-around. Of course I'd let amazon know so they can mark this info in your file... but no sense in being w/out a camera for a couple months if you can help it! Good luck w/ your exchange.
10-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks--good idea. I now have until Nov 20th for AMZ to receive it. So in a couple of weeks hopefully they have them in stock and in the meantime I'll keep using it!

10-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bsimon Quote
I just received my K-5 and it's fantastic except the electronic level is off by 1-2 degree which isn't huge but it means the auto horizon correction doesn't work! I've checked it against an on camera bubble level, a carpenters level and my K7. I contacted Pentax but I apparently was the first person to contact them for K5 problems and they suggested I return it. So I'm returning it to Amazon but they don't expect to be able to ship a replacement until December (hopefully that's just bad information)! I love the K7 except for high ISO performance and the K5 seems to fix that and more...but why they can't have the level adjustment be user adjustable I can't for the life of me imagine! Has anyone else noticed this on the K5?
I'll take a look at mine tonight. I used the electronic level once so far for a tripod shot, but I didn't check it against an actual level. It looked right to my eye, but I suppose that doesn't mean it's not off by a small amount
10-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
but why they can't have the level adjustment be user adjustable I can't for the life of me imagine! Has anyone else noticed this on the K5?
I have already suggested it elsewhere. Apparently Pentax has not listened to me :-)
Same problem on my 2 bodies. I would not send it back for that. I automatically reach for the "level" command in Elements.

Last edited by SpecialK; 10-29-2010 at 08:56 PM.
10-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My level works fine on the k-7 but the auto correct tilts the images, go figure!

10-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax could save themselves at least a few QC/QA returns if they provided the ability to enter a bias. Set the camera on a level and level it out, dial in the correction (or indicate its level to the camera and it computes the bias) to achieve level on the camera, store. Problem solved, life continues, no returns, reduced warranty costs, greater profit...

10-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My K-5 is perfect.
10-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another QC slip. Just the general problem with Pentax; lowend or highend, they all received the same QC, or lack of.
10-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #11

Have you considered the earth is wrong and the camera correct?
10-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Before you declare there is a problem, double and triple check that the camera is exactly level, if you're using a tripod, don't assume the tripod is level just because the bubble level is centred, same for the ball or pan head and even the bubble level that is mounted on the camera hotshoe. I have seen bubble levels that don't sit exactly level, the quick release plate used can be ever so slightly uneven and even the camera hot shoe being a tad off.
10-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Have you considered the earth is wrong and the camera correct?
It's OLD problem. Pentax knows about it. Pentax MUST fixed it with K-7 and we shoudn't see the same in new cameras.

To trigger a backflash is no good for manufacturer.
10-19-2010, 12:31 AM   #14
Pentaxian

making their flashes the wrong way round now? Damn!
(apologies to ogl for joke at his expense)
10-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought my K7 level was a bit out, so I tested it somewhat more rigorously and found that it was my initial test procedure that was at fault.
I'm betting that virtually every problem people have with the in camera level is related to trusting a piece of testing equipment that is not designed for testing cameras.
And then, they spew their crap results all over the internet and all of a sudden it's a big QC problem for Pentax.