Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Looking at the comparometer on Image Resource, it looks like the K-5 sensor is pushing into D700 and 5D Mark II territory as far as high ISO goes. I'll be interested to see if that holds to be true after formal testing.
Having done such tests in the past, I'll say no. DR yes, high ISO no. That's my guess, but let's wait and see...

10-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I've seen some MKII ISO12800 output(just recently) and its definitely ahead in terms of resolving power. However, I found the DR gamut to be a little narrow. Particularly in the shadow end of the curve. The other things were tinging and slight banding. Though neither really came across as deal breakers.

On the posisitive side, the MKII has amazing highlight recovery, and of course, image definition is second to none, the most impressive I've seen.

On the issue of the 5D, I was under the impression that it maxed-out at ISO3200?
I would certainly expect the 5DMkII to be ahead of the K5

When I bought the K5 my hope was that it would combine the body/features of the K7 while giving me at least the same level of high-iso abilities as the Kx. From what I've seen so far, I would say that in this respect the K5 has met my expectations.

As for the original 5D, a friend of mine shoots with one and there's no way you'd get that kind of result at iso12800 (never mind the fact that it maxes out at 3200). I can't imagine that if you underexposed a 5D (original) image by two stops at iso3200 and then pushed it that it would work very well.
10-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #18

@John, you can use that 5DmkII image

@John: DPR is out so i couldn't respond, but i have put my edit in your directory in two sizes (full and HD format). Your edits where well done and full of detail.

I made my edits from my 5DmkII raw only with ACR and Photoshop, so no additional plugins for NR or otherwise used.

If you want you can post them here.

SeeYa.
Richard.
10-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Smals Quote
@John: DPR is out so i couldn't respond, but i have put my edit in your directory in two sizes (full and HD format). Your edits where well done and full of detail.
Okay thanks. I grabbed the files from FTP.

They look good, perhaps a little oversaturated but ACR tends to do that. I processed them with RPP on my end with has the opposite problem(its one extreme of the other it seems ). Anyways, detail is definitely not the issue with this system(lots of it). And so it was impressive in that sense. And so now, I'm curious to know if the camera can go higher and how that would look also. Either way I enjoyed working with the file. Though it would take a little more time to get familiar with them(as with all files I guess).

PS. I didn't post the images in dpreview because I couldn't think of a way to present them in a practical sense(relevance). Though it would be really nice to try and muster up a K-5, D700, MKII high ISO thread. - Even if they weren't all of the same scene, it might be interesting if we could maintain the same settings across the board.

What do you think?

Last edited by JohnBee; 10-19-2010 at 04:22 PM.
10-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Okay thanks. I grabbed the files from FTP.

They look good, ......
What do you think?
Could be done... i will watch your threads so i can step-in when needed.

From what i have seen so far: the K-5 has impressive uniformity in noise distribution. This is the key factor for successful NR.

The 5DmkII has problems in the very deep shadows if you need to recover more then 2 stops even at base ISO. Up to ISO 6400 the 5DmkII is about 1 1/2 stop better then my K-x in noise, after that the 5DmkII is going downhill fast. The detail retention is marvellous though so you can pull a lot before you pass a minimum detail threshold.

But not every copy of a cam is the same: I used to have two K20Ds and between them there was more then a stop noise difference. One had from ISO 3200 also magenta cast, on the other this was totally absent.

So there is definitely sample variation!

Choi.
Richard.
10-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #21
Inactive Account

it's really really amazing!!!!