Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The irony is that I was planning on waiting too
There is no second go round in this life and money is not a lot of use when you are a pile of ash. So my philosophy has always been to leave as little as possible behind me.

10-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BlackWatch Quote
I've had my K7 for almost a year now and I’m embarrassed to say, but it wasn’t until quite recently that I understood that I have to wait for the little green hand to show up in the VF if I want the benefit of SR . Before that I spent a lot of time cursing mine and the camera’s inability to shoot sharp pictures under certain circumstances. The discovery open up a new world of sharp photos, but the time it takes for the SR to kick in, sometimes mean that I miss out on a good shot, especially if I’m trying to catch my little son who’s not in the habit of posing for cameras. So this sounds like yet another great improvement and I’m very pleased to hear about it. Keep ‘em coming!
I think most people missed that when it was new. I did not understand it myself until I read a note here last summer pointing it out. I am still quite poor at waiting though, so K-5 will be a great upgrade. Of course with the K-5, I might use ISO 6400 and switch off SR as it looks....so will see how I am going to use it :-)
10-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I'm impressed at the speed some of you are composing your pictures. Personally I don't see it as a big deal as it usually takes me a second or two just to frame the picture as I want it.

Please consider: TIF (Things In Flight - aircraft, in my case), kids (meaning toddlers moving, at random, at inhuman speed), pets, sports, kids doing sports, pets doing sports, photojournalism, etc.

In other words, this is good news for those of us who shoot subjects that are active and outside our control. Situations that may appear both suddenly and briefly.

Those who shoot landscapes and other subjects that move at the speed of plate tectonics don't have much need for capturing the right instant.

I may have to move up my purchase date.
10-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
There is no second go round in this life and money is not a lot of use when you are a pile of ash. So my philosophy has always been to leave as little as possible behind me.
K-5, KX, DA15 Ltd, DA21 Ltd, DA35 Ltd, DA40 Ltd, DA70 Ltd,DA*300, DFA 100 Macro WR, DA 10-17, DA 12-24, FA 50, FA 50 Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200. Sigma Bigma

With that collection looks like your philosophy is working so far

10-22-2010, 04:36 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Please consider: TIF (Things In Flight - aircraft, in my case), kids (meaning toddlers moving, at random, at inhuman speed), pets, sports, kids doing sports, pets doing sports, photojournalism, etc.
Often when I shoot these fast moving things I try to set a somewhat higher shutter speed to begin with (and thus the SR isn't needed anyway). But of course any improvements are welcome.
10-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by BlackWatch Quote
I've had my K7 for almost a year now and I’m embarrassed to say, but it wasn’t until quite recently that I understood that I have to wait for the little green hand to show up in the VF if I want the benefit of SR . Before that I spent a lot of time cursing mine and the camera’s inability to shoot sharp pictures under certain circumstances. The discovery open up a new world of sharp photos, but the time it takes for the SR to kick in, sometimes mean that I miss out on a good shot, especially if I’m trying to catch my little son who’s not in the habit of posing for cameras. So this sounds like yet another great improvement and I’m very pleased to hear about it. Keep ‘em coming!
I've had my k10d since early 2007, and thanks to your post I learned something new. ^__^
10-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The thing is everyone was moaning about the lack of a fast AF lock despite the fact that it was useless to have a fast AF if the SR was lagging way behind. Now that the SR is ready in most cases before the AF has locked it means that you can if you need to just point and shoot. In some circumstances particularly timid wildlife you just don't get that split second for the SR to kick in.
For those cases, I half-press the shutter as soon as I grab the camera from around my neck or in the bag. By the time it's up to my face, the green light is on...

Not saying it's not a great thing (I suspect it's part of the faster AF too)...just that it was easy to deal with before...

10-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
For those cases, I half-press the shutter as soon as I grab the camera from around my neck or in the bag. By the time it's up to my face, the green light is on...
Although that is probably not a good way to do it. My understanding of the SR is that during "spool up" time the SR system measures the shake in order to find a base frequency and amplitude. So if one swings the camera around during spool up time and then fires of the shoot under a totally different situation, then you have effectively fooled the SR system and that might pay off in a blurred shot.
10-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Not saying it's not a great thing (I suspect it's part of the faster AF too)...just that it was easy to deal with before...
So are you using AF-C or do you not have focus tied to the 1/2 press of the shutter?
10-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Although that is probably not a good way to do it. My understanding of the SR is that during "spool up" time the SR system measures the shake in order to find a base frequency and amplitude. So if one swings the camera around during spool up time and then fires of the shoot under a totally different situation, then you have effectively fooled the SR system and that might pay off in a blurred shot.
Agreed.
10-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JamieP Quote
So are you using AF-C or do you not have focus tied to the 1/2 press of the shutter?
I use AF-ON (the AF button).
Gimbal has a good point though. However, the question is how often the SR figures out what the vibration frequency is. I.e., in the time between you bring it up, and stopping to look through the viewfinder or just pause and take a shot, will it lock in time? My suspicion is it's fast enough to compensate for this...I haven't used this technique that often but the times I have, I haven't gotten horribly blurry pictures...
10-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So my philosophy has always been to leave as little as possible behind me.
I don't have this problem as my lovely wife and kids (+ grandson) take care of this for me.
10-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I use AF-ON (the AF button).
Gimbal has a good point though. However, the question is how often the SR figures out what the vibration frequency is. I.e., in the time between you bring it up, and stopping to look through the viewfinder or just pause and take a shot, will it lock in time?
My guess is that it takes about 0.6 seconds to adapt to a new situation.
10-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I don't have this problem as my lovely wife and kids (+ grandson) take care of this for me.

Kids grown and flown, no grandkids, wife buys her own Nikon gear.
10-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #30

what does SR stand for?

Sorry, I'm a newbie and don't quite understand all the Pentax lingo