Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Ugh. I guess I have to drive to Rockford soon now. At least I'll be about a half hour closer in a couple weeks.

Do they stock lenses?

10-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Ugh. I guess I have to drive to Rockford soon now. At least I'll be about a half hour closer in a couple weeks.
Do they stock lenses?
Yeah, Rockford isn't exactly exciting, but it does have a few benefits.

They have quite a bit lens wise. At least two guys are Pentaxians I believe, which explains the large Pentax offering.

For Pentax I recall seeing:

Lenses:
DA* 300mm, DA* 60-250mm, D-FA 100mm WR Macro, DA 55-300mm, DA 21mm LTD, 40mm LTD, DA 70mm LTD, kit lenses ... but I suspect they stock a large percentage of the Pentax glass. I also remember seeing some teleconverters but didn't see them up close (saw some Kenko boxes and either sigma or promaster). They also mentioned the DA* 50-135 was on order when I was in there on Saturday.

Bodies:
K-5, K-7, K20D, K10D, and K-x (orange, bright blue, green).
I'll assume they have K-r now too.

Other Pentax stuff:
floating wrist strap, a few lens hoods, cable releases, W90 digicam, m42 to Pentax K adapters...
10-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Rockford is just so far from everything. Were their prices the same as their online? They're a tad steep, even for a b&m store. DA* 16-50 at almost $1100, for instance.
10-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't ask about in-store lens prices, but you could always send a PM to David (user dnaseigel) or send them an email ( info [ at ] cameracraftinc.com ). I think as with any camera shop they might be willing to deal if you are polite and reasonable. There are pluses (a real person, hold what you are buying) / minuses (sales tax) to buying locally.

Last edited by sjwaldron; 10-27-2010 at 01:52 PM.
10-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #35
Inactive Account

I have no problems paying sales tax out there (just not Cook Co), or a tad more. But there's a point of diminishing returns for in person. I'll contact them when I'm ready to make a move. Thanks!
10-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
I have no problems paying sales tax out there (just not Cook Co), or a tad more. But there's a point of diminishing returns for in person. I'll contact them when I'm ready to make a move. Thanks!
I buy a lot online as well. Anyways, I'm the man in the middle here so I don't speak for anyone but myself.
10-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #37
Nic

Any updates on how you're liking the k10d?

10-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #38

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Now that's a good deal! I'm guessing that was before tax? I googled "Ultimate Electronics" and found their site. They didn't have much Pentax wise on there, so I'm guessing deals only happen locally...
Yes, that was the pre-tax price. They didn't have the K20 listed on their web site at all and they had no other Pentax gear apart from a few K-x kits. They claimed to have marked it down $400 but I think they were just trying to clear out inventory.
11-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nic Quote
Any updates on how you're liking the k10d?
Sorry, I didn't see this until now.

Let's see...

Some of the K10D buttons are better in my opinion:
- The AF.S | AF.C | MF switch is easier to change with more travel between each step than the K-7.
- The main control knob is easier to change than the K-7.
- The AUTO | SEL | . control is much easier to select the one I want. The K-7 knob always feels like I get between one of the settings as there isn't enough travel or locking feel into each mode in the switch.
- I like the bracketing button and shake reduction off buttons.
- I like the placement of the exposure, green, and ISO buttons on the K-7 better.
- The K-7 menu system is a lot better.
- No ISO button on the K10D.
- The K-7 with battery grip is my all time favorite feel with a camera.
- I think the shutter cable connector is a lot more weather resistant looking than the K10D one, especially since the K10D is in the same location as the other connectors under that plastic door. My bushhawk shoulder stock mount will be used exclusively with the K-7.
- The K10D is hefty, but I think it might benefit in hold-ability with a grip, so I might get one eventually.
- I was having close auto-focus accuracy issues with the DA 14mm f2.8 at f2.8 close focus with the K10D (the K-7 is spot on). So eventually I'll do some testing to see if it happens with more of my lenses and attempt to fix the issue if need be.
- I like having the K10D as it renders images differently than the K-7.
- When I write articles, it's pretty much necessary to have two camera bodies, so the K10D purchase was well worth it just for that aspect.

Edit, I found out that it's easy to access the debug system and AF correction system in firmware v1.31...
Here is the gigantor article I wrote on my process in correcting back focus:
http://photographybanzai.com/2010/11/06/fixing-k10d-back-focusing/

Last edited by sjwaldron; 11-06-2010 at 08:03 PM.