Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-7 or K-5?

The K-5 is the hot topic nowadays

Its time for an upgrade for me, coming from the K100D Super
(mirror slap is so loud! 40,000 photos shot with it)

My question is- which one do you recommend, the K-7 or the K-5?
K-5 stats- Other than 2mp jump, 1080 HD video, and 5 programmable user functions, the cameras are pretty much identical... only the K-7 is $875 and the K-5 is $1500

The comparison on continuous shooting makes the K-7 to be the better camera, K-5 on left, K-7 on right

Continuous shootingHi: 7 fps to 22 frames (JPG), 8 frames (PEF/DNG),
Lo: 2 fps until card is full (JPG), up to 12 frames (PEF/DNG)Hi: 5.2 fps to 40 frames (JPG), 15 frames (PEF), 14 frames (DNG)
Lo: 3.3 fps until card is full (JPG), up to 17 frames (PEF/DNG)

10-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The two cameras have the same buffer- so if you shot at 5FPS with the K-5, you'd probably end up being able to get just 20% fewer photos than with the K-7, due to the size increase. But you rarely actually would use that, and it's still an upgrade over the K100.

The biggest perk that the K-5 will offer is the improved high-iso performance. It's 2 stops better than the K-7, and as much as 3 if you use NR software.

But you're right- same body, same basic features. The K-5 is to the K-7 as the K-r is to the K-x. Therefore, the real question should be if the improved image quality is worth the extra $800. I'd take it from there.

You can probably get your K-7 for $700- in fact, I'm about to throw mine up on the marketplace at that price.

Here's a side-by-side comparison: Pentax K-5 & Pentax K-7 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chattphotos Quote
The comparison on continuous shooting makes the K-7 to be the better camera, K-5 on left, K-7 on right
The stats don't tell the story. As Adam said, there seems to be a 2 stop difference in high ISO performance, 2 stops is a huge advantage. AF is also more "decisive" and therefore locks faster. But if you don't shoot above ISO 800 and don't shoot fast moving things it's probably no big deal. Otherwise...
10-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

As twitch said, it depends on what you shoot.

I personally do a lot of street photography, studio photography, and landscapes. Generally I either control the light or have enough light, so slow zooms or fast primes are the lenses I use. With my K-7 I generally shoot at ISO 800 or below, and I am totally happy with the results.

The High ISO thing was blown out of proportion from the beginning in my opinion. It's like the antenna issue with the iPhone 4.

10-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well you can probably pick up the K-7 cheap because everyone who can afford the K-5 will probably let go of their K-7. Money aside, few would want opt for the K-7 now when the K-5 is a lot better in so many areas. Why look at on paper stats alone such as fps when there are far more important criteria such as AF speed and accuracy which are more relevant.
10-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Seems that if you don't need the higher ISO performance or faster focus, you will still have an excellent camera in the K7, plus some money to buy some seriously good glass to use with it. The latter will definitely outlive the former. Bodies come and go, but great lenses are forever. You can get a used K7 and DA*50-135mm (or FA 43, or FA 50 or, or, or...for the price of a new K5 right now. The K5 will come down some in price eventually, so you could enjoy your K7 and new lens while you save money for it and have a good quality lens to use on it when the time comes.
10-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd say go with the K-7. It will be a huge upgrade from your K100D Super (a good camera by the way. I bought my sister one for Christmas) and you should be able to find a good deal on either a used or new body in the next few months. Keep an eye out, since people will be selling their used K-7 bodies and camera websites will be trying to sell out their stock.

10-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Seems that if you don't need the higher ISO performance or faster focus, you will still have an excellent camera in the K7, plus some money to buy some seriously good glass to use with it. The latter will definitely outlive the former. Bodies come and go, but great lenses are forever. You can get a used K7 and DA*50-135mm (or FA 43, or FA 50 or, or, or...for the price of a new K5 right now. The K5 will come down some in price eventually, so you could enjoy your K7 and new lens while you save money for it and have a good quality lens to use on it when the time comes.
Despite really liking my new K5, I agree with the above thought.

Unless you specifically want the higher ISO performance and/or improved AF, you can save a ton of money buy going with the K7 right now as it's less than half the price of a K5. Buy a really nice lens to go with it and then in a year or so when the K5 is down to K7 prices because the K3 is around the corner, dump the K7 and upgrade to the K5 and you'll still have the great lens you bought with the K7.
10-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've ended up buying ALL my Pentax DSLR bodies at the end of the product cycle. I started with the K10D and now, 2 more bodies later, I know that I'll be buying a K-5 sometime late next summer ... for about 800 dollars or so. It's like waiting for Old Faithful.

I just wish I could find a bargain FA 31 by using the same technique!!!
10-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I suspect if the K5 draws more customers into the Pentaxl fold, today's price on the limiteds will be the bargain price. It's that old supply vs. demand curve.
10-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
I've ended up buying ALL my Pentax DSLR bodies at the end of the product cycle. I started with the K10D and now, 2 more bodies later, I know that I'll be buying a K-5 sometime late next summer ... for about 800 dollars or so. It's like waiting for Old Faithful.

This could work if Pentax ever came out with a Mark II upgrade of the FA31. I'm sure there'd still be people who owned the old copy who'd swear it was better, though, so the price might not drop even then.
10-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

"Originally posted by loveisageless
Seems that if you don't need the higher ISO performance or faster focus, you will still have an excellent camera in the K7, plus some money to buy some seriously good glass to use with it. The latter will definitely outlive the former. Bodies come and go, but great lenses are forever. You can get a used K7 and DA*50-135mm (or FA 43, or FA 50 or, or, or...for the price of a new K5 right now. The K5 will come down some in price eventually, so you could enjoy your K7 and new lens while you save money for it and have a good quality lens to use on it when the time comes."
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Despite really liking my new K5, I agree with the above thought.

Unless you specifically want the higher ISO performance and/or improved AF, you can save a ton of money buy going with the K7 right now as it's less than half the price of a K5. Buy a really nice lens to go with it and then in a year or so when the K5 is down to K7 prices because the K3 is around the corner, dump the K7 and upgrade to the K5 and you'll still have the great lens you bought with the K7.
+1 & +1 to loveisageless & dgaies
*Buy a really nice lens.
*If you don't need the higher ISO performance or faster focus, you will still have an excellent camera in the K7

It is really worth to invest in some "good glass". The lens is a long-term investment and it is more important than the body.

Take the K-7 with a good fast prime lens, and you will do better in low-light conditions than a K-x (even possibly a K-5) with the cheapest kit lens. Yes the comparison is unfair.... (and I am sure that some pentaxians will cry foul play) but it illustrates the difference between lenses and the value of "good glass".

Last edited by hcc; 10-22-2010 at 02:12 PM.
10-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'd say if money isn't much of a consideration get a K-5. Otherwise save big bucks and get the K-7, or spend about the price of a K-5 on a K-7 and a nice lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Same here.
10-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
Inactive Account

The K5 seems very, very promising and if I look deep enough into my crystal ball I can definitely see one for myself in the future. Being a more recent model, it is only fair that it should beat the K7 in most, if not all, areas. However, this does not in any way make the K7 a bad dslr. On the contrary, the K7 is a fantastic camera and I’d be damned if it’s not just possible, but quite easy, to squeeze very nice pictures from it’s much criticized sensor. It is an absolute joy to work with and nowadays very affordable. If you don´t have very high standards regarding handheld low light photography and/or require the fastest AF Pentax can provide, I feel confident that you’ll find lots of photographic satisfaction with a K7. I therefore advocate the K7 plus fancy lens deal, it will pay dividends.
10-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I upgraded from my k100D to the K-7 last year and yes, the K-7 is a major improvement over the older k100D and i dont think you will be disappointed. Having said this, I don't see any reasons why you should go for the K-7 now that the K-5 has arrived. If you are a current K-7 user, maybe (just maybe and if money is an issue) you can stay with the K-7 and save the money for a better glass. But since you own the k100D, i would say go K-5 yeah!