Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Its hard to draw any conclusions from the first half of the shots as I look at the trees it does not seem to change focus very often. The closer shots look like its working! I am trying to do a similar test with a sea gull flying towards me but no complete results yet.

Were you holding the shutter button fully down the entire time in 7fps mode or working from the half-pressed mode and clicking off individual shots quickly?

I kept my finger pressed so it was taking shots as fast as it could camera set on continuous hi mode. I am uploading the full size files this morning so people can zoom into the farther shots. 800x600 shots are difficult at distance.

Terry

10-22-2010, 06:30 AM   #17

Which version of Sigma lens is that? Screw drive one or the newer HSM II?
10-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rudemood11 Quote
Which version of Sigma lens is that? Screw drive one or the newer HSM II?
It's the first HSM version.

Terry
10-22-2010, 06:57 AM   #19
Forum Member

AFC test on moving cars is not a challenge. I used to use my K200D's AFC in a drifting event and it was quite easy since the target is so big.

10-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Sorry if I missed this but, were you shooting in focus or speed priority?
10-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you have a little league baseball match nearby, you might want to plant yourself near first base and fire up when the kid runs toward the base.
I still remember a Canon 1dmkIII user complaining that only 60% of the shots were in focus when they all were in focus w/ his 1DmkII (this was Canon's mirror box misalignment problem that caused them to do a recall)...
10-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JamieP Quote
Sorry if I missed this but, were you shooting in focus or speed priority?

Focus priority.

I am not sure I used the optimum camera settings for this test, perhaps others should chime in and I will repeat it. Should I have stopped down to increase DOF. Should I have used only center AF point to prevent the camera focusing on trees as I panned?

I wanted to make it as difficult as I could. Full size files are uploading and I will give the address to see them soon.

Terry

10-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
If you have a little league baseball match nearby, you might want to plant yourself near first base and fire up when the kid runs toward the base.
I still remember a Canon 1dmkIII user complaining that only 60% of the shots were in focus when they all were in focus w/ his 1DmkII (this was Canon's mirror box misalignment problem that caused them to do a recall)...
Will do, and I will post the results. Let me know what settings you prefer for the test.
10-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Full size files can be seen here. Index of /telfish Many thanks to Priyantha Bleeker for the web hosting

From the shots the camera did not fully lock until about the third frame. I am thinking that was because the car was in deep shadow and the 5 point af locked on the transition between the sunlit and shadowed road surface. Fast moving stuff is not my forte I usually do landscapes and macro so please excuse any lack of technique in these shots.

From then on it found focus OK. Not an ideal test and I will do it again at a child’s baseball game.

Last edited by telfish; 10-22-2010 at 08:08 AM.
10-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
Full size files can be seen here. Index of /telfish Many thanks to Priyantha Bleeker for the web hosting

From the shots the camera did not fully lock until about the third frame. I am thinking that was because the car was in deep shadow and the 5 point af locked on the transition between the sunlit and shadowed road surface. Fast moving stuff is not my forte I usually do landscapes and macro so please excuse any lack of technique in these shots.

From then on it found focus OK. Not an ideal test and I will do it again at a child’s baseball game.
Telfish,

Thanks a bunch for the sample AF shots.

I think that what some people were saying in that a car really is not the best subject for AF-C tests is that it is large, usually quite contrasty and easier to follow than a child running to base in baseball!

I don't own the K5 (yet) [I have the K7 and K20D] so I can't vouch for your testing but I believe that trying on running subject TOWARD you would be better.
Also, the smaller the subject the more difficult it is for the AF to "track", so maybe if you are close enough to some birds (gulls?) you could give it a try?

Also, so you know, I started a thread on K5 AF testing here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118553-k5-auto-focus-tests.html
and I thought perhaps it would be a good idea to post some of your pics there as well, as the risk of being redundant perhaps, but with different sample shots?

Anyway, great work you are doing for all of us who will buy the K5 soon.

Cheers!

JP
10-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Telfish,

Thanks a bunch for the sample AF shots.

I think that what some people were saying in that a car really is not the best subject for AF-C tests is that it is large, usually quite contrasty and easier to follow than a child running to base in baseball!

I don't own the K5 (yet) [I have the K7 and K20D] so I can't vouch for your testing but I believe that trying on running subject TOWARD you would be better.
Also, the smaller the subject the more difficult it is for the AF to "track", so maybe if you are close enough to some birds (gulls?) you could give it a try?

Also, so you know, I started a thread on K5 AF testing here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118553-k5-auto-focus-tests.html
and I thought perhaps it would be a good idea to post some of your pics there as well, as the risk of being redundant perhaps, but with different sample shots?

Anyway, great work you are doing for all of us who will buy the K5 soon.

Cheers!

JP

thanks jp.

Will try and find some kids or seagulls to shoot. Can you give me optimal settings to get the best out of the camera in this situation.

I would guess stopping down to f5.6 or f8 would be better and should I still go five point af so I get some chance of one af point being on the bird?

Terry
10-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Yknow that black cloud thing from Lost? Shoot that in low light at f1.4, center point only, with it coming directly at you at full speed. That should give the K-5 a workout
10-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Telfish, I also thank you very much for posting your results. It's very much appreciated. My first reply to you is to not stop down to f 5.6 or 8. It will easier with shallow DOF to really determine whether the focus tracking is really working. So, I think you were correct in the way you did it. My wish would be to test this with somebody running towards the camera on grass. The reason I say on grass is that grass has texture to it, and it's easy to look at the grass and determine where the focus point really was.

To me, the other important variable is testing with centerpoint vs. auto 5 point like you chose. In field sports, centerpoint is often more desirable to use. Again, thank you very much. I'm sure you will get all different kinds of advice from many different users. I apreciate your efforts and those of others. This issue is important to me.
10-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have just taken some shots of my dog running towards me on grass at 2.8 I will post these for you. Some are in focus some seem behind the head I was aiming for, that may be tecnique.

Posted in the AF k5 tests thread here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118553-k5-auto-foc...ml#post1233650

Last edited by telfish; 10-22-2010 at 10:04 AM.
10-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
thanks jp.

Will try and find some kids or seagulls to shoot. Can you give me optimal settings to get the best out of the camera in this situation.

I would guess stopping down to f5.6 or f8 would be better and should I still go five point af so I get some chance of one af point being on the bird?

Terry
Here's a good way to really test it as laid out by Terry: use the lens wide open under poor lighting conditions, and use centre point!
Of course, by using F5.6 to F8 would be better to help the AF but that's not the point here.
Best of luck in your "homework"!

JP