Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
It does work!!! I just downloaded it. I know he said there were some kinks to be worked out. One thing I noticed is that if you take a potrait photo, the program doesn't rotate it. Thats kinda a big deal to me since I take a lot of protraits in the studio. But I'm sure it's an easy fix for this guy.

Awesome!!

12-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #32

so a couple quirks....with this pk-tether. when first connected, you have access to the menus on the camera. but once a shot is taken, access to the menu disappears. this may make it annoying to adjust things on the camera. access to camera menus is re-enabled if you disconnect and reconnect; you could also adjust a setting thru the program (i.e. JPEG quality, file size) and that would let you mess with the camera menus again. preview mode doesn't work in the white balance--but i think the author mentions live view or something could mess up the camera. but if your settings are in, it's a pretty cool program. i can shoot with either the shutter on the program, or the camera, and the files autosave onto my laptop. i would imagine that pentax should contact this guy and have him develop software, as this is a very cool thing. i am wondering if pentax actually has an official piece of software like this in the works?
12-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #33

tried it with my wife's K20D, and all menus are accessible pretty neat! i may consider donating to this fella
12-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #34

i really liked this program! ok so i donated to the fella, 50 EUR....

12-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #35

@caymanimaging hey, i think it does rotate ok....well i tried it on my K-5 and using adobe bridge cs2, it knew what the orientation was. i guess what you mean is that it should also rotate in the pk-tether program?
12-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #36

so playing a little more with it....JPEG quality selection is still odd, even tho i select 4 stars within the camera. i tried to get a RAW pic...but that didn't seem to work. but this looks promising still. can't wait for the next version
12-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #37

Exciting times here at pentaxforums! I can't wait to get my hands on the K-5 eventually! The program will only get better, or lets hope so!

12-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #38

so the author emailed me back, and told me a quick fix to re-enable camera menus is to hit the live-view button the k-5. not ideal, but better than disconnect/reconnect thru the program. xfer speeds are pretty quick thru the usb cable onto my laptop. @idkjai what makes me wonder is, that the author of the program made it to work with the K20D.....i wonder if pentax *always* knew they had this ability....it's like suddenly unlocking a super cool feature!
12-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #39

I was talking about the tethering program, it doesn't rotate. I only played with it for 5 mins, but was impressed. I agree, I think Pentax should hook up with this guy.
12-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #40
Veteran Member

This Polish prog sounds great. I need a means of taking a pic every 1 sec, with the # not limited to 999.

Auto image rotation is quite a complex issue. There are two separate tags in Jpegs which record the original orientation and whether the image has been rotated. If you read this rather tedious thread you will see it

On my K5 I have disabled the recording of the camera orientation in the EXIF data, so all recorded jpegs are written with "upper left". This stops display programs auto-rotating portrait images so they look the right way up, but on the plus side it makes it 100% compatible with apps which implement one of the two tags and not the other.

BTW, the problems with the Eye-FI - what are they? Does the card not work as an SD card (reliably) or it is the WIFI feature which is unreliable?
12-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #41

Photos: Albums
K5 only Green Mode Da Lens

PK_Tether.exe works with the K5.

However only green mode and with the auto lenses (tried kit 18-55DA lens).

Support for othe modes will be good to have too . I was even able to use my manual lens for a while until the images began to have those strange stripes. Looking forward to the next release! Please, manual lenses too, please!
12-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #42

I used it in M mode with no problems.

But that was with a K20, not K5.
12-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #43

Use caution when testing the tethering software. I tested it on my K5 and lost my Green Mode. Is seems you can accidentally customize some of the modes.

See this post
12-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
make sure you donate to the guy, just a couple $ would be nothing to you and huge to him.
12-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #45

he's released a new version!

https://sites.google.com/a/pentax.org.pl/tomaszkos/en/pk_tether

here's the email he sent to me:

QuoteQuote:
released version 0.3.2 PK_Tether - changes:
- added support for K10D and K200
- fixed periodic shutting
- fixed problem with jpeg quality for cameras with 4 stars jpeg quality
- fixed problem with save program settings
- cleared buttons which are not handled yet correctly

Next two weeks I won't have access to internet, so it is last version this year.
I also won't answer on email, but of course you can send any
information or bugs reports.

Thanks again for so big support with testing.

I added News page on my site, where you can subscribe to RSS, and you
will be inform about every new version.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year