Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #61
Forum Member

How light was it out when you were taking the seagull shots? With the combination of overcast sky, white/gray birds, and their small size, the K-5 appears to have done a pretty good job. There doesn't appear to be much contrast between the sky and the bird, so most cameras would struggle with AF, I believe. With better light, and a white bird against a blue sky (along with the bird being closer/larger in frame), you're probably going to see even better results because of the higher amount of contrast between bird and sky.

10-31-2010, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was not too good for part of the time, low clouds and misty. Then it brightened up and the second set was against a mix of clouds and blue sky. Having done more shooting of birds since this test I am really please with the AFC of the K5.
10-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #63
k54
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing your nice AFC shots.

Just want to share my observation on the AF of my Pentax that seem to happen also on your sample images.

1. AF seems to hunt or not focus properly then the target object is mostly black and white as can be seen with your shots on the bird. I have similar shots and experienced it also.

2. AF seems to be better or focus faster and hunt less when target object have many colors just like your shots of the girls.

This is the reason why if I host my own parties or events, I request my guest or attendees to avoid purely black and white attire. The more color the better especially to beautiful ladies so that my shots will be in the right focus most of the time.

However in coat and tie events, that will be a problem......

My only option is to go manual AF or are there other techniques or settings to address this.....

Doing Center Weighted AF help a bit but maybe others here have a better method......
11-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Telfish:

Excellent work on those AF tests with the gulls and girls!

When I started a thread on the K5 AF-C, I also asked for a few shots in "less than ideal" conditions, such as a small, distant and moving subject TOWARD the camera .... you done it!
With BIF, especially when the contrast is not very good, the camera better be very good at "catching" (I am not saying "tracking") the subject.
These series of shots prove without a doubt that the K5 has indeed a much improved AF-C.

The running girsls series is also very convincing. There was a better contrast this time and all shots are in focus.
Another well received proof of the AF performance here.

For me, this is what I have been looking for: ability to keep good focus on moving targets, especially toward (and away) from the camera.
Also, the ability to focus on small moving subjects (BIF) even under less than ideal lighting conditions.
For the latter, no doubt that the ISO handling capabilities, combines with a better AF, will allow for a much higher keeper rate.

Thanks for all of the effort and sharing of your sample shots ... greatly appreciated!

Well deserved Rep. points!

Cheers!

JP

11-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k54 Quote
Thanks for sharing your nice AFC shots.

Just want to share my observation on the AF of my Pentax that seem to happen also on your sample images.

1. AF seems to hunt or not focus properly then the target object is mostly black and white as can be seen with your shots on the bird. I have similar shots and experienced it also.
The fact is that there is little contrast when it is overcast, as it show in the first series.
As far as I am concerned, this is all very, very good AF "tracking".

2. AF seems to be better or focus faster and hunt less when target object have many colors just like your shots of the girls.
Ditto! Contrast = better tracking ability of the AF system.
This is the reason why if I host my own parties or events, I request my guest or attendees to avoid purely black and white attire. The more color the better especially to beautiful ladies so that my shots will be in the right focus most of the time.
Right on: lots of contrast there too, right?
However in coat and tie events, that will be a problem......

My only option is to go manual AF or are there other techniques or settings to address this.....

Doing Center Weighted AF help a bit but maybe others here have a better method......
Sorry, I barged in on your post ... just wanted to make it clear that no matter what high-end camera you'd use, if the contrast is poor while shooting moving subjects, especially if they are far and small (and moving toward/away from you), you are bound to get some OOF frames.

Cheers.

JP
11-03-2010, 05:33 AM   #66
k54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Sorry, I barged in on your post ... just wanted to make it clear that no matter what high-end camera you'd use, if the contrast is poor while shooting moving subjects, especially if they are far and small (and moving toward/away from you), you are bound to get some OOF frames.

Cheers.

JP
Therefore no other option but to go manual focus......
11-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks jp, I posted the worst set of the gull sequences I did so the rest were far better. The gulls were small in the sky so the first set are crops of between 60 and 90% of the original frame.

As you say there was little contrast between the birds and the sky so the K5 did pretty well in this sequence.

Terry

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

Cheers.

JP

11-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k54 Quote
Therefore no other option but to go manual focus......
Well, that is usually what I do under such circumstances.
I have no problem to switch to manual focusing when it is needed.

JP