Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-5 Is there a simple way of going from HDR back to RAW?

Hi, First post so be gentle.
Got my K-5 a couple of days ago (upgrade from K100d).
I shoot RAW or RAW+ habitually except for the occasional HDR. What I'd like to be able to do is switch from one to the other (RAW to jpeg in HDR mode and back to RAW without having to burrow deep into the menu to turn HDR off to get the RAW option back. Ideally it should be possible to have to go no further than page one of the capture menu (the first thing you get to when you hit the 'menu' button) and switch file format. Unfortunately 'file format' is greyed out if the camera is in HDR mode and I have to dig down to the HDR options to get the 'file format' un-greyed and then reverse the process when I want HDR again. By which the time the moment has passed.

Can anyone with a k-5 think of a work-round? I sort of hope I've missed something obvious...

Allan

10-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Press the INFO button while on the status (main) screen. The file format toggle is right after the HDR toggle (it's on a different line, but you can just hit right once to move to the file format or left once to go the other way). You can very quickly toggle the HDR on/off with the dial, then move the cursor one spot right to toggle the file format back to RAW, or vice versa. Much faster than digging through menus.

Last edited by Cannikin; 10-23-2010 at 04:14 PM.
10-23-2010, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by allantois Quote
Hi, First post so be gentle.
Got my K-5 a couple of days ago (upgrade from K100d).
I shoot RAW or RAW+ habitually except for the occasional HDR. What I'd like to be able to do is switch from one to the other (RAW to jpeg in HDR mode and back to RAW without having to burrow deep into the menu to turn HDR off to get the RAW option back. Ideally it should be possible to have to go no further than page one of the capture menu (the first thing you get to when you hit the 'menu' button) and switch file format. Unfortunately 'file format' is greyed out if the camera is in HDR mode and I have to dig down to the HDR options to get the 'file format' un-greyed and then reverse the process when I want HDR again. By which the time the moment has passed.

Can anyone with a k-5 think of a work-round? I sort of hope I've missed something obvious...

Allan

I set up a user mode and titled it "In Camera HDR" set the camera how you wish with hdr enabled then save the settings. You can then go right from user to any other mode by turning the dial to say "M" the camera can be set to RAW and when you switch to your user setting it will switch to JPEG.

The user modes are really powerful.

I have 4 user modes set for the things I do. One for hight speed with TAv set, hi drive mode, and the shutter set to 1000th. A bracketing mode with the bracketing set to 5 shots at 2 EV steps for ultra HDR, a Macro mode set for Max DOf and my in camera HDR.

Last edited by telfish; 10-23-2010 at 04:35 PM.
10-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Excellent. Thanks very much for quick and helpful responses. I'm working my way through the manual but as you can imagine - the K-5 after the K100d is a bit like going from a Tigermoth to a Typhoon in one jump.

Allan.

10-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I'm not terribly familiar with the K-5, or in-camera HDR for that matter. What's stopping you from using auto-bracket and RAW and processing the HDR out of camera? It's far faster just to switch between auto-bracket and single shot than to dig through menus and you get the added bonus of more control over your image depending which software you use.
10-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
The user modes are really powerful.

I have 4 user modes set for the things I do. One for hight speed with TAv set, hi drive mode, and the shutter set to 1000th. A bracketing mode with the bracketing set to 5 shots at 2 EV steps for ultra HDR, a Macro mode set for Max DOf and my in camera HDR.
How do you get the camera to save a shutter speed in user mode set up? I was looking to set up my Bird in Flight mode.
10-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Mr Espie: The K-5 will take, say, three pictures in rapid succession with what ever bracketing you like (in my case usually very narrow) and then blend them to make an HDR. Even better - it adjusts the images so than can be layered precisely. This makes hand-held HDRs possible in camera. In the Bad Old Days one had to use a program like PTGUI (normally used for panoramas) to adjust the images so they could be layered. Very labourious.

Allan

10-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
How do you get the camera to save a shutter speed in user mode set up? I was looking to set up my Bird in Flight mode.
Sorry, my bad. I though it saved the shutter speed and aperture in Tav mode in the User modes but it does not. Sorry.
10-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Col
Veteran Member

Yes it is a pain to get out of some of these modes... simplest way is to change the saved settings on power off and untag HDR, (on 2nd page under Memory...page 5 of the "Camera settings"). Then you can just switch the camera off and on to clear it.
10-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
Sorry, my bad. I though it saved the shutter speed and aperture in Tav mode in the User modes but it does not. Sorry.
Oh bother... (did you find that pressing the green button to get lower case letters frequently dropped you out of the renaming screen?)
10-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
re: Tav and USER mode

I was slightly dissapointed too but in reality I dont always use the same shutter and aperture in Tav so just knowing that WB, format and all the other settings I need are in place is a big help. I have hosed my share of shots by walking outside first thing in the morning and popping off a couple rounds in Tav thinking I was catching some handsome marsh bird in the warm rising sun....when actually it was an ugly cold blue jpg from WB still set to Flash from the night before..yes, I should just leave it in AWB since it it SO MUCH better than my K20 for indoor light.
10-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
re: Tav and USER mode

I was slightly dissapointed too but in reality I dont always use the same shutter and aperture in Tav so just knowing that WB, format and all the other settings I need are in place is a big help. I have hosed my share of shots by walking outside first thing in the morning and popping off a couple rounds in Tav thinking I was catching some handsome marsh bird in the warm rising sun....when actually it was an ugly cold blue jpg from WB still set to Flash from the night before..yes, I should just leave it in AWB since it it SO MUCH better than my K20 for indoor light.
I am still learning what does and does not stay in user mode when you save the settings. It's a very useful feature.