Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi phillippe- this is a zombie thread I resurrected. Not sure the OP is still checking it. I may just have to make my own thread.

But back to me... :-) I have now checked 6 lenses, and with +10 they are all correctly focused or, in 2 cases needing a bit more. I can't send the K5 back unless it is "defective", not sure if this qualifies. On the other hand, it is under warranty, so I could try to have it adjusted. Anyone with any thoughts?

02-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #17
Closed Account

Hi Nick, perhaps you should get your camera adjusted. I have 6 lenses now (5 autofocus), and only my DA 12-24 required a -8 adjustment; the others are spot on, including a DA*, a FA, and 2 DAs. It's not often I read of someone in your situation who requires a major adjustment to most of their lenses.
02-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi, Zombie here...

I had to swap that copy because of staining.
New copy no satins but required some adjustments for most lenses.
Nothing excessive.
I will try to find time to see if the settings have been 'forgotten' though I doubt it as images seem good still.
Be interested to know what set up you use for checking focus, what setting used on camera (contrast/phase) and if natural light or artificial.
Now, where can I find some living flesh...
03-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I sent mine in for exchange too. Hoping for better luck with the new one! Seems like a sweet little camera, otherwise.

03-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
My new K5 has required +10 with the first three lenses I tested (and at least one looks like it could use more). Should I have it looked at, or return it for a different copy? Thanks, Nick
what lenses did you test ?
03-05-2012, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I sent mine in for exchange too. Hoping for better luck with the new one!
Maybe you should read something like this:
LensRentals.com - “This Lens Is Soft” and Other Facts

or this summary article
Variation Facts and Fallacies: Digital Photography Review
03-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #22
Inactive Account

I had some back focus issue in several Pentax da and FA lenses, need +10 af adjustment. However, after I upgraded the firmware from 1.12 to 1.14, it seems that the focusing is more accurate and faster and I don't need af adjustment for those da and FA lenses though still need it for the sigma lens.

03-06-2012, 04:00 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Sorry I mean from 1.12 to 1.13 for k5
03-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
After upgrading to firmware 1.13 for the K-5, I decided to turn AF Fine Adjustment OFF (Menu C, 26, 1 ~ "AF fine adjustment disabled. Lenses will focus according to factory default tolerances.") just to see how the interaction between my K-5 any my Pentax branded AF lenses might be affected.

To my complete surprise, ALL AF lenses were spot on... no AF adjustment needed.

If your are struggling with AF adjustment issues, try it. Just might work for you, too.

Cheers...
03-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
After upgrading to firmware 1.13 for the K-5, I decided to turn AF Fine Adjustment OFF (Menu C, 26, 1 ~ "AF fine adjustment disabled. Lenses will focus according to factory default tolerances.") just to see how the interaction between my K-5 any my Pentax branded AF lenses might be affected.

To my complete surprise, ALL AF lenses were spot on... no AF adjustment needed.

If your are struggling with AF adjustment issues, try it. Just might work for you, too.

Cheers...
It is pretty much the same for me as well since the upgraded firmware; all my Pentax AF lenses are spot on and hence require no adjustment. And the MF lenses (k-mount or m42) all except two require -10 setting (FF issue) and of course only one setting for all MF lenses. The two MF lenses probably require more than -10 (may be -12 or -15) adjustment; too bad.
03-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #26
Veteran Member

All lenses I've used since getting the k-5 were spot on too. The only time I ever had trouble was with the tungsten issues which has since been fixed. I think some people are just really unlucky with their lenses.
03-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
It is pretty much the same for me as well since the upgraded firmware; all my Pentax AF lenses are spot on and hence require no adjustment. And the MF lenses (k-mount or m42) all except two require -10 setting (FF issue) and of course only one setting for all MF lenses. The two MF lenses probably require more than -10 (may be -12 or -15) adjustment; too bad.
How does a manual lens need an auto focus adj?
03-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Markbrumbaugh Quote
How does a manual lens need an auto focus adj?
The 'focus OK indicator' hexagon in the viewfinder is still active even with manual lenses, and the beep (for those who enable the beep).

Hence sometimes people may discern FF/BF/whatever even when shooting manual.
03-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Maybe you should read something like this:
LensRentals.com - “This Lens Is Soft” and Other Facts

or this summary article
Variation Facts and Fallacies: Digital Photography Review
Well, I had version 1.13 firmware when I got it, and had problems with the fine adjustment control on or off. With the K-5 I returned, I could only get reasonable focus at +10 for a DA 70, a DA35 macro, an FA 50 macro and an FA 43. With an FA 20-35, a DA 21 and a Sigma 24mm, I needed more adjustment than a +10 would do. My testing technique wasn't perfect, but it squared with the real world results I was getting. So I sent it back, and a new one is on the way. I am pretty sure this wasn't bad luck with lenses, but rather bad luck with a body that was maladjusted. Some of the lenses in question had been fine on both my k100d and K20d, or needed at most a 2-3 adjustment. The FA 20-35 in particular has always sparkled on my other bodies, and was quite lacking on this one. Fingers crossed for the next!
03-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The 'focus OK indicator' hexagon in the viewfinder is still active even with manual lenses, and the beep (for those who enable the beep).

Hence sometimes people may discern FF/BF/whatever even when shooting manual.
OK, thanks. Would CIF also work then?