Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Markbrumbaugh Quote
Would CIF also work then?
Yes, CIF works with manual lenses, due to this ability of the camera to detect something coming into focus even with manual lenses.

Page 134 of the K-5 manual set out how to set it up.

03-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #32
Forum Member

Too cool. I think I remembered that, I may have to give that a try.
03-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Update - got the replacement, and it is fantastic! Not only is the focus much better (spot on with 43mm, +3 with FA 20-35) but the images look way, way better. Plus the shutter count is much less, too. Score!

I had been feeling like there wasn't much of an upgrade from the k20, but I think I have to conclude I just had a subpar K5.
03-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #34

I quite new but can adjust the camera for the moment.

But alot of times the focus is just horrible.... I just eyeball the photos and alot of times the focus it completly off. I cant see why and I have tested with different dof and aperture.
The lense is a DA35 2.4 with a K5.
I can understand that 2.4 is a bit on the heroic side but when I get FF and BF shots at aperture 8 outside in daylight I dont know why it doesnt work properly.

I have adjusted the lens to -9... seems like alot for a new camera and a new lense!

03-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Are you sure of your focus point? I.E. that the camera is focusing on exactly what you want it to?

What version firmware is it at?
03-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
Are you sure of your focus point? I.E. that the camera is focusing on exactly what you want it to?

What version firmware is it at?
yup ! I think Im thinking what your thinking
03-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
yup ! I think Im thinking what your thinking
I use the one center point focus. And firmware 1.13... Some rare times the picture is good and alot of times its off by far!

03-21-2012, 02:39 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by allantois Quote
So far I have tested five lenses for FF or BF on the k-5:

FA 50 f1.4
FA 35 f2.0
FA 20 f2.8
Sigma 70 f2.8 macro
Sigma 15mm F2.8 fisheye

Every one is spot on with no fine adjustment necessary. They all had some BF or FF on the K100d.

Nice.

Allan
What exactly have you tested? How did oyu test it? That your image is in focus? The effect of different aperture setting on image sharpness...

The need for fine adjustment does not tell anything about the lens, but much more about the camera being in adjustment or not. At the same time there is a software tool for "rough" adjustment, so each fine adjustment is related to the setting or the rough adjustment and thus not comparable. Lenses basically need +/-3 steps relative to each other, but the camera can be off by much more. My lenses vary between +5 and +8 on a K5 after QS tuning of the rough focus adjustment. Before that the adjustment was 10 and off the screen.... Actually the whole system was off, but tuning at different places all focus aids work now for me.
Center focus point if off by a focus square up and left in my K5... I WANT LIVE VIEW FOUCS IN THE VIEWFINDER
03-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wompa Quote
I use the one center point focus. And firmware 1.13... Some rare times the picture is good and alot of times its off by far!

The focus sensors are much bigger then the AF points - they stretch out in 4 directions like a continuous 3x3 line grid; so for instance the center focus area is a tall and wide (but skinny armed) + as big as the spot metering circle. Be sure what edge or point of contrast it decided to lock on.

Last edited by jmg257; 03-21-2012 at 09:22 AM.
03-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wompa Quote
Stop seeing the square as your autofocus point and use
the semicircle instead. If you try and focus on the eye...
since the autofocus area is so large it may latch onto the nose or ear or even miss altogether. This is why most think they have problems. Basicly... be less critical... instead of trying to focus on the eye, just focus on the face. If critical focus is important, use manual.
Watch your problems fade away
03-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Stop seeing the square as your autofocus point and use
the semicircle instead. If you try and focus on the eye...
since the autofocus area is so large it may latch onto the nose or ear or even miss altogether. This is why most think they have problems. Basicly... be less critical... instead of trying to focus on the eye, just focus on the face. If critical focus is important, use manual.
Watch your problems fade away
Manual is not at all better than AF, but assuming that the camera is aligned, you have much more control.
03-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Manual is not at all better than AF, but assuming that the camera is aligned, you have much more control.
I think you have totaly missread and the point
03-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by supertrac Quote
How is the K-5's start up sound? does it scare dogs still like K-7?
Mine is crazy quiet, so much so that I wonder if DR is working when compared to the K-7.

My focus confirmation light is noticeably front focusing with manual lenses. Changing the global AF adjustment didn't seem to make a difference, have you guys seen that at all?
03-31-2012, 03:19 AM   #44
Veteran Member

When using manual focus it's important to set the dioptre on the viewfinder to your eye, then when the camera is in focus so is the view in the viewfinder. Even using your other eye can be different. But that's probably my old age.

Chris
03-31-2012, 05:20 AM   #45

I have made some adjustments on my K5 with a MF lens (-3 apply all). But my AF lens needs something like +5. Now, apply all overrules apply one, so how can I adjust the AF lens?