Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
[Auto-ISO] so, is the K5 and Kr brave enough to use max iso?

My K20D....it seems pretty nervous to use expanded mode iso6400, uses iso3200 once a while and iso1600 sometimes. Seems to purposely wish to underexpose images.

how are the new models?

10-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Col
Veteran Member

On the K5 you can have different "flavours" of auto ISO. Described as Slow,Normal & Fast. In fast mode the camera will look to bump up ISO quickly rather than drop shutter speed as a first resort. Though I still feel the camera is looking to the 1/focal length guideline.
10-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Really? That's a feature I've always wanted and has been on my K-x firmware wishlist thread since the beginning. Does the K-r have it? It's most important with cameras that don't have two dials and don't have TAv.

there should be a slower one than 1 / fl, although normal is probably 1 / (FL * 1.5) which is technically the real guideline.

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-24-2010 at 12:22 PM.
10-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Really? That's a feature I've always wanted and has been on my K-x firmware wishlist thread since the beginning. Does the K-r have it? It's most important with cameras that don't have two dials and don't have TAv.

there should be a slower one than 1 / fl, although normal is probably 1 / (FL * 1.5) which is technically the real guideline.
Really but no the K-r doesn't appear to have it not according to its manual, which in online now... http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-r.pdf

10-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
On the K5 you can have different "flavours" of auto ISO. Described as Slow,Normal & Fast. In fast mode the camera will look to bump up ISO quickly rather than drop shutter speed as a first resort. Though I still feel the camera is looking to the 1/focal length guideline.
Where exactly is this feature. I have not heard of this. Very useful.
10-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Where exactly is this feature. I have not heard of this. Very useful.
It is under the shooting menu, page 3: "ISO AUTO setting".
10-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slow, Normal, or Fast

The K-7 got that, too!

Tord

10-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The only thing I don't like about auto-ISO is that it only tries to prevent camera shake. Once I put on a DA21 it drops shutter speed too slow for subject movement I'd like to set a minimum shutter speed somehow while in Av mode and with auto-ISO, but that doesn't seem possible. I think I need TAv mode....
10-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
My K20D....it seems pretty nervous to use expanded mode iso6400, uses iso3200 once a while and iso1600 sometimes. Seems to purposely wish to underexpose images.

how are the new models?
They are worlds apart in terms of ISO performance, however, they still seem to underexpose as sensitivities go up.

Which isn't a problem if you're a hands-on type of shooter(dial in a little extra), though if you should be fine up to ISO25600 with camera metering alone.
10-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The only thing I don't like about auto-ISO is that it only tries to prevent camera shake. Once I put on a DA21 it drops shutter speed too slow for subject movement I'd like to set a minimum shutter speed somehow while in Av mode and with auto-ISO, but that doesn't seem possible. I think I need TAv mode....
On K-7 and K-5 you can use P-mode and use program-line "sport" to make the camera choose fast shutter speed. P-mode with different program-lines combined with auto-ISO parameters it will give quite many options for preferred shutter speeds of the camera.

With "sport" program-line and "fast" auto-ISO parameter the camera will choose shutter speed of 1/1000s or faster (when possible). If changing to "normal" auto-ISO parameter the camera will try to keep shutter speed between 1/500 - 1/1000s, and with "slow" parameter the shutter speed will be 1/250 - 1/500s.
10-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
It is under the shooting menu, page 3: "ISO AUTO setting".
On the K-7 you also reach it from the info screen by OK on the ISO setting, I would guess that is still true for the K-5. (Still waiting for mine)
10-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got to quit reading posts about features like this. Between this kind of thing and looking at the high ISO pictures, my wallet is doomed.
10-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
TAv would be best, but if you're trying to freeze action as a priority (over depth of field), you should be using Tv mode.
10-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The default Program settings confused and annoyed me at first. By default, it would go maximum possible aperture before touching ISO, and then max ISO before touching shutter speed.

It was annoying that the "normal" program line kept trying to force an f/4 or wider aperture on a well lit, partly cloudy landscape, and instead kept raising the shutter speed. Good thing I read the manual and found out how to change it (and good thing there's hyper program).

I was definitely confused at first, coming from the K-x, but now I'm loving the sheer flexibility and customizability of the K-5.