Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Note to Pentax, You Broke the 4 Way Switch on the K5

It's like Deja Vu all over again.

Again, Pentax didn't get it right with the 4 way controller. Set it to focus point selection and happily take pictures. Need to change a setting under the rocker switch?
Hold the OK button for a full second (the camera beeps) and then you can access the settings.
But the darned thing doesn't default back when you press the OK button to close out your settings.
You have to press the OK button to close, and then press it again (for a full second) to get back to focus point selection.
Granted, it's nowhere near as broken as it was with the K7, but hopefully they'll find a way to do a firmware adjust to fix it.

10-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good suggestion Wheatfield. And the earlier it's mentioned to Pentax, the more likely something will be done about it.
10-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I frequently switch between the two modes - AF point selection and 4-Way control selections.
Yes, a full second press on the OK button kind of gets in the way.
10-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I frequently switch between the two modes - AF point selection and 4-Way control selections.
Yes, a full second press on the OK button kind of gets in the way.
Agreed. I'm not crazy about the full second press to toggle either.

10-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's probably closer to 3/4 second. It's still broken.
10-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

sounds yuk! don't like holding a button down for a lengthy (1 sec will seem like a long time when you're in a hurry!) time. Probably means you have to watch the screen too to see when it activates.
10-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Is there no option in the Custom screens to adjust it?

- Jason

10-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
sounds yuk! don't like holding a button down for a lengthy (1 sec will seem like a long time when you're in a hurry!) time. Probably means you have to watch the screen too to see when it activates.
There is a beep as well.
10-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
There is a beep as well.
oops... missed that part, however that introduces another problem... unwanted noise at times...
10-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
oops... missed that part, however that introduces another problem... unwanted noise at times...
They put a volume control on it, so you can turn the beep way down. Mine is set so that it is just barely audible when my eye is at the viewfinder.
So far, the camera seems really well thought out. This is the only annoyance I've found so far.
10-25-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
Is there no option in the Custom screens to adjust it?

- Jason
Not that I've found. They added an option with the K7 as part of (or possibly all of) the first firmware revision.
Hopefully they'll fix this fairly quickly as well.
10-26-2010, 01:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Hold the OK button for a full second (the camera beeps) and then you can access the settings.
My K5 has not arrived yet so I can not test it but can't one not work around it by flipping the AF focusing area to center focus when you want to acces the settings? Only risk is that you might forget to set it back.
10-26-2010, 03:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's like Deja Vu all over again.

Again, Pentax didn't get it right with the 4 way controller. Set it to focus point selection and happily take pictures. Need to change a setting under the rocker switch?
But the darned thing doesn't default back when you press the OK button to close out your settings.
You have to press the OK button to close, and then press it again (for a full second) to get back to focus point selection.
Granted, it's nowhere near as broken as it was with the K7, but hopefully they'll find a way to do a firmware adjust to fix it.
not bad for such a great $1600 value, huh?
10-26-2010, 05:02 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hat tip to you beta testers--I'm hoping you will have found all the bugs and gotten them resolved before I buy ;~)
10-26-2010, 05:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh. I had not thought of that problem when I read the manual. This is very bad. Hopefully they'll adresse this with a firmware update, so we can choose whether a single "Ok" press returns to center AF *or* activates the 4-way pad functions. Personally, I have no use for "return to center AF"...