Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 04:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Tether my K-7, K-5 and 645D...please

If you feel PENTAX is missing a trick in not having the ability to tether their latest cameras to allow rapid review of captured images and possible remote computer control, add your reply to this thread.

This will show a record of the prospective demand for this ability in the new cameras.

Come on PENTAX. Come up with the goods and fight for the market share!!

10-29-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah, when it comes time to replace my K200D if there is still no Pentax with tethering then it is off to Canikon-ville.

And, yes, I have owned Spotmatics, ME-Super, MX, and now K200D and all the glass for them so it is not a decision taken lightly.

True tethering is what I need for product shots. (Jewellery)

If Pentax want to be an 'Outdoors' brand fine, front up and those of us who need tethering can move on.

Had I been aware of the benefits of tethering prior to buying my first digital it would not have been a Pentax.
Stuck with it now and curse it often. Oh well.
10-29-2010, 04:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

This is starting to be like the full frame thread...

There are hundreds of threads already that "record the prospective demand."

If Pentax wants to do it, they'll do it. If not, they won't.

Simple as that. There are other things that are more worthy of your time to fight for.
10-29-2010, 05:04 AM   #4

Original Poster
No its not! This is just about tethering not FF.

If you don't want it please don't post a reply.

I want to also use it for studio based product shooting as well as shooting humans.

10-29-2010, 05:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What he said is we already have multiple thread talking about tethering , one started yesterday about same subject

But the good news is Pentax is adding tethering on the 645D in firmnware(official on Pentax japan website). See the other post from yesterday

See the news here
http://www.pentax.jp/english/imaging/digital/medium/645d/feature_6.html

Last edited by bobmaxja; 10-29-2010 at 05:18 AM.
10-29-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

645D is not enough, we want tethering on K-5 !
10-29-2010, 05:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

There should be a rule that says not to start a new thread if we already have one that discusses the same topic. That would save me a ton of heartache.

In the similar threads section, I see 5 other threads in the Pentax DSLR Discussion forum that all discuss tethering. And all of them were started this year; most of them since May.

10-29-2010, 06:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
There should be a rule that says not to start a new thread if we already have one that discusses the same topic. That would save me a ton of heartache.
You must be joking... the forum will die out... 99 out of 100 newly started threads have been asked before at least a gazillion times...

As far as tethering goes, it's actually very useful, but not to the point of "can't live without"....
10-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
Raylon

Haha, yea no new threads if already have one started. Please merge all the iso comparison shot threads. They could all easily be in one.

On the subject of tethering. Moved from k200 to 7D, and started using tethering. Never had thought about usin it but canons softwars just does so much and easy to use i have started using it a lot. Awesome stuff. Being able to not even have to touch the camera and instantly view the pictures is simply amazing.
10-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This is starting to be like the full frame thread...

There are hundreds of threads already that "record the prospective demand."

If Pentax wants to do it, they'll do it. If not, they won't.

Simple as that. There are other things that are more worthy of your time to fight for.
While I completely understand duplicate threads can be frustrating and clutter the joint up, if there are so many threads about the need for tethering would that not indicate it is far from the trivial feature you claim it to be? Were it something of little value or use, then few, if any, would be clamoring for it.

It is not a non-essential ability for a DSLR...it may not be essential for YOU but then again why should any of us who need it care if your needs are met, you obviously could give a darn less about the needs of your fellow Pentax shooters. Thanks for that thoughtful consideration. The more users Hoya alienates (engineers) away from the brand the the more expensive the gear will get and the less likely the brand will grow. But, hey as long as your needs are met even though the users who need this ability bought into the system before it was engineered OUT of the product line with no announcement of that fact have, essentially, been betrayed.

Something to consider given that the K-7 dropped tethering. As I recall it was determined there was a hardware issue, perhaps with the USB sub-system itself, that made tethering impossible. So a lot of us, once we learned it was no longer part of the camera, did not move to the K-7. Now we wait and will not give up a camera which, even in it's somewhat limited form, supports at least a sort of tethering. But at some point most will give up waiting, no matter how much we like the glass, and move on. If Hoya would state they will enable tethering on the K-5 many waiting probably would buy now, even with the high price in the US. That means leaving the matter up in the air is losing Hoya even more money every day from getting the higher price of the body today vs. the lower price in a year...that is on top of users who just give up and go over to Canon, who does a nice job of Liveview with tethering.

And the counter argument to "yeah but the glass costs more and there is in body IS..." guess what, for what those who need tethering use the camera for much of the time, we are using a tripod anyway so stabilization is a superfluous feature. See it can be discussed from both sides of the fence which is why we all need to be understanding and supportive of the needs of each other.

Last edited by brecklundin; 10-29-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added comment about waiting upgraders
10-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #11

Original Poster
For the photography I aspire to do with my PENTAX system I would love to be able to shoot tethered. For me it is a requirement which will facilitate the professional development of my business's products.

(I need it)
10-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gostwick Quote
If you feel PENTAX is missing a trick in not having the ability to tether their latest cameras to allow rapid review of captured images and possible remote computer control, add your reply to this thread.

This will show a record of the prospective demand for this ability in the new cameras.

Come on PENTAX. Come up with the goods and fight for the market share!!
I intend to speak with my wallet.

I believe that always sends a far clearer message than trying to drum up support and making feigned threats in a forum that marketers only see though, and rightly ignore for their porosity.

So you too can ignore this as a vote for your agenda, just as they do.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-29-2010 at 09:58 AM.
10-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
While I completely understand duplicate threads can be frustrating and clutter the joint up, if there are so many threads about the need for tethering would that not indicate it is far from the trivial feature you claim it to be? Were it something of little value or use, then few, if any, would be clamoring for it.

It is not a non-essential ability for a DSLR...it may not be essential for YOU but then again why should any of us who need it care if your needs are met, you obviously could give a darn less about the needs of your fellow Pentax shooters. Thanks for that thoughtful consideration. The more users Hoya alienates (engineers) away from the brand the the more expensive the gear will get and the less likely the brand will grow. But, hey as long as your needs are met even though the users who need this ability bought into the system before it was engineered OUT of the product line with no announcement of that fact have, essentially, been betrayed.

Something to consider given that the K-7 dropped tethering. As I recall it was determined there was a hardware issue, perhaps with the USB sub-system itself, that made tethering impossible. So a lot of us, once we learned it was no longer part of the camera, did not move to the K-7. Now we wait and will not give up a camera which, even in it's somewhat limited form, supports at least a sort of tethering. But at some point most will give up waiting, no matter how much we like the glass, and move on. If Hoya would state they will enable tethering on the K-5 many waiting probably would buy now, even with the high price in the US. That means leaving the matter up in the air is losing Hoya even more money every day from getting the higher price of the body today vs. the lower price in a year...that is on top of users who just give up and go over to Canon, who does a nice job of Liveview with tethering.

And the counter argument to "yeah but the glass costs more and there is in body IS..." guess what, for what those who need tethering use the camera for much of the time, we are using a tripod anyway so stabilization is a superfluous feature. See it can be discussed from both sides of the fence which is why we all need to be understanding and supportive of the needs of each other.
I never said tethering is a worthless or unuseful feature. Don't put words in my mouth. My needs are perfectly suited by the Pentax system. If yours aren't, stop complaining about it and switch to a system that does. Life is too short to do otherwise.

I am simply stating that threads on this forum are highly unlikely to make Hoya change their mind about ANYTHING. If they don't think it's worthwhile to spend the R&D and engineering to implement Tethering (or full frame or faster AF or EVILs or anything) they won't do it. Plain and simple.

So stop complaining about things you don't like about Pentax. They've done plenty I don't like (price of 35 2.4 off the top of my head), but there's not much I can do that will change their mind.

Even if I start a thread that says "Let's convince Hoya to drop the price of the 35mm 2.4 by $50!" and then all of a sudden 50 other PF users started similar threads, and all of the threads went to 15 pages, the list price of the 35 2.4 would be.....$219.

If my need for a 35mm prime to be half a stop faster and $30 cheaper were that pressing to complain as vehemently and incessantly as PF users complain about FF and Tethering and all the other stuff, I'd switch back to Nikon and buy a 35 1.8 DX. Simple as that.
10-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

, I'd switch back to Nikon and buy a 35 1.8 DX. Simple as that.
Think we have got that now thanks.

If you don't have anything positive to contribute then find a thread where your views will be appreciated.
10-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #15
k54
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please include the Kx....