Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by peerSr Quote
not working for me neither ..
Keep trying you will get it with persistence.

10-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, you folks got me dedicated to this now.

First, if you push the card in very slowly, you will feel it click exactly at the point it no longer slides out easily. Something is catching on the small notch on the top edge of the card.

I am trying to get a clear macro shot inside the slot to post here for us to decide what is catching and what to do if anything. So far, shots not quite up to PF standards but I have all night to srew around with this. Good use for old set of macro rails I picked up recently.

Picture coming....
10-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #33
Inactive Account

hi all,

I am having problems removing SanDisk 8 GB SD card from my k-5. I found similar thread on dpreview with k-7. Seems like this was not solved.

The same with another 2GB Sandisk SD. It is annoying, my K20D has a very good card slot.

When pushing card in, there is no problem, it goes in smoothly. But when pulling the card out, I have to wiggle it a bit from side to side to get it out.

grrrrrrrr

Anybody experiencing similar difficulties? Is it broken or is it a special K-5 feature?
When you want to remove the card from the K5 (or the K7) you press the card in with your fingernail until you feel the release click. At that point release the card. Have someone on the other side of the room to catch the card as it propels across. Be careful not to perform this procedure in a bathroom or you may be fishing your card out of the toilet.

The problem is with the lack of clearance between the card and the door, you are increasing the friction between the card and the slot, making it more difficult to lift out of there. Been an issue since day one on the K7 and apparently is still an issue on the K5.

10-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a storm in a tea cup issue imo. The fit is snug when new but will progressively be easier with use. Never had a problem when I had the K-7 and now with the K-5 it hasn't been an issue. Maybe I'm used to it.

10-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, I dont think so - pushing is really very smooth, easy.
I think we're in agreement--pulling is harder because it requires grip.
10-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I am not sure, but I've read somewhere that this is part of the SD card spec.

The card shall not spring out entirely if pressed then released. The "jump stop" may be intended even if not implemented by all. At least, my notebook SD slot does behave exactly the same. SD cards have a tiny notch to pull out the rest of the card. Problem with K-7/5 is the door which prevents to support the thumb nail from the back.

So, the let spring approach works best. Except in cases the card springs into the gully hole
10-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
When you want to remove the card from the K5 (or the K7) you press the card in with your fingernail until you feel the release click. At that point release the card.
Yeap!! You are right!! Its working!! Thank you - you saved me!

Really - the trick is to release the card immediately after the release click! It doesnt jump out, but its already easy to pull it out.

GREAT!!

Last edited by peerSr; 10-29-2010 at 04:21 PM.
10-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Ok, you folks got me dedicated to this now.

First, if you push the card in very slowly, you will feel it click exactly at the point it no longer slides out easily. Something is catching on the small notch on the top edge of the card.

I am trying to get a clear macro shot inside the slot to post here for us to decide what is catching and what to do if anything. So far, shots not quite up to PF standards but I have all night to srew around with this. Good use for old set of macro rails I picked up recently.

Picture coming....
Ok, because most of the inside area of the slot is made of very reflective metal I cannot get a clear shot of the problem....but I can see what it is and can describe it.

The top edge of the slot has a piece of spring metal about 3/8" long that extrudes slightly into the area occupied by the card. there is a bump in the spring metal pointing into the card area that fits into the notch on edge of the card. The end of the strip towards the opening is not attached to anything.

Here is what causes the problem: Because the FRONT corner of the SD card is cut at a 45 Deg angle, it is able to slide on the metal "bump" and push the spring up. But when pulling it out, the card edge touching the bump is a 90 degree angle thus is much harder to force the spring metal strip to recess and allow the card to slide out.

My risky cure THAT I AM NOT RECOMMENDING FOR ANYBODY ELSE is to pull the metal strip down far enough to flatten the bump with some mini hemostats just a tiny bit so the card notch can withdraw easier. As things are, I don't believe my copy will ever be acceptable on its own.
10-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I don't have a K7 or (I wish) K5, but here's a trick I have used in the past on sticky memory cards:

I put a piece of transparent (Scotch-type) tape on the label side of the card, extending well past the rear (non-contact) end of the card, then fold over the "tail" of the tape onto itself (sticky-to-sticky) so there's no adhesive left exposed. What you're left with is a tab of tape that protrudes from the rear of the card, sticking out of the slot when the card is in. After pressing the card to eject, you can grab onto the tab and pull it out.

Whether this works will depend on whether the tape is thin enough not to interfere with the slot mechanism, and small enough to tuck inside the memory card door. You'll have to try this yourself.

Try this at your own risk. It has worked for me on other devices, but I can't guarantee any success here.
10-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several cards are a little difficult to get out of my K7 but one counterfeit card with 2 labels on it was really bad. My advise take the labels off
10-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think this is not as bad as it seems to be.
First, I DID complain about this SD card "issue" with the K7 but you know what? It is now much easier to remove ... after a few months of using the K7.
I suppose this will be the same for the K5.
No big deal and it's not causing harm to the camera either.

JP
11-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Has anybody sanded a few micromills off their cards to good effect?
11-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I think this is not as bad as it seems to be.
It's not going to stop me from getting a K-5 but I'm certifiably challenged in terms of fine motor skills so it's a pretty major pita for me.
11-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
Never had a card stick in my k7 or k5. There is a knack to ejecting these cards. You press down with your finger nail and then quickly remove your nail to allow the spring to eject the card. Some cards will come right out of the camera and most will just pop up enough to remove easily. If you just allow the card to eject against finger pressure then it will sit low in the slot and be difficult to remove due to the card door being a tight fit.
Thanks, that does work for my Sandisk 16Gb Extreme.
11-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
It's not going to stop me from getting a K-5 but I'm certifiably challenged in terms of fine motor skills so it's a pretty major pita for me.
Yes, there are options; using fingernails at a 45 deg angle, sanding down one edge or (my solution for the brave) bending the metal strip inside the slot so it does not grab the notch as hard.

But I would have been happiest if it just worked like the k20d. I hope they saved lots of money on the change because it sure was not an ergonomic improvement anymore than the semi-random lockups.

On the happy side, I just finished shooting a series this afternoon of the K-5 vs K20d with the A*400 to see how much of the new crisis (soft shots?) is real, or settings, or operator, or nothing, at least for my cameras.