Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 05:53 AM   #16

Thanks Adam. My non-photographer son commented that the shots with the K5 are sharper than with the K20D - that to me says a lot.
There is one thing that you haven't mentioned - the problem with flash and overexposure: See here. I hope Pentax will sort it out soon.
Cheers.

10-31-2010, 06:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Adam, I look forward to your professional reviews. As far as image quality is concerned, K-x has already set a benchmark for Pentax cameras and it's well accepted fact that k-x has better quality than k-7. Hence IMO, k-5/k-r should be better compared against k-x than k-7 in IQ department.

Yusuf

The only accepted fact regarding this is that the Kx has better high-ISO quality than the K7. That's it.
10-31-2010, 06:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As a side note, we will be doing a professional review of both the K-5 and the K-r later down the road- hopefully as soon as possible, as time permits. My best guess of when the K-5 review will be up is the week of November 22. I'll also be posting some basic comparison shots and sample photos later today.
Looking forward.

Thank you.
10-31-2010, 06:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Adam, I look forward to your professional reviews. As far as image quality is concerned, K-x has already set a benchmark for Pentax cameras and it's well accepted fact that k-x has better quality than k-7. Hence IMO, k-5/k-r should be better compared against k-x than k-7 in IQ department.

Yusuf
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
The only accepted fact regarding this is that the Kx has better high-ISO quality than the K7. That's it.
I agree. It is most certainly not an "accepted fact" that the Kx has better IQ than the K7. I shot with both for 6 months and while I fully agree that the Kx was superior for high ISO shooting, the K7 had superior IQ at low ISO, not to mention it was the better overall body.

I bought the K5 to replace both the K7 and Kx, as I wanted the best of both worlds; high-ISO shooting of the Kx with the features and build quality of the K7.

10-31-2010, 07:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Is there manual selection with 5 AF points?
Is it real to put 5 AF POINTS mode for manual selection?
I just fooled around with it, and I believe the 5 point option is only for autofocus.
10-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Naim Khan Quote
Thanks Adam. My non-photographer son commented that the shots with the K5 are sharper than with the K20D - that to me says a lot.
There is one thing that you haven't mentioned - the problem with flash and overexposure: See here. I hope Pentax will sort it out soon.
Cheers.
Good to know that the images are sharper. That is one of the reasons that I am looking to upgrade from my k20. My husband always complains that he thinks my images could be sharper.

Adam, nice mini review. I can't wait for the full review and pictures.
10-31-2010, 08:47 AM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yeah, the 5-point option won't' have any effect in SEL mode, as only one point will be used. However, maybe it limits the selectable points- haven't tested that yet!

The sharpness stems from the lower noise at all isos, and the small resolution boost. This boost is minor, but it's there, and we'll have some test shots up for that by the end of the day, I think.

10-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #23
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Good to know that the images are sharper. That is one of the reasons that I am looking to upgrade from my k20. My husband always complains that he thinks my images could be sharper.

Adam, nice mini review. I can't wait for the full review and pictures.
K-5 has sharpness like K10D/K200D/K-x with weak AA filter. Better than K20D/K-7 IMO.
10-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Agreed. In almost every other way, the K-7 beats the the K-x handily. That said, the K-x is an excellent entry level camera, possibly at the top of its class in its day. (And with products cycles getting ever shorter, a camera's day is measured in only a few months.)

Rob
11-01-2010, 02:36 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Good news, Adam.

I've read the K-5 AF points are spaced farther apart than those of the K-7. Is that true? Is there any chance to see a comparison of the different layouts?
11-01-2010, 02:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I am looking forward to a credible side by side comparison of thew K-5 and the K-7 with lots of photos, of course. Especially looking forward to see how the K-5 handles iso 100-800.

Jason
11-01-2010, 05:08 AM   #27

Photos: Gallery
Can't wait to see the photo comparison and your more detailed review. I was already impressed from the K-5 specs but now hearing all the news from initial testing is getting me excited to try out the K-5.
11-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
We'll have the comparison up either Wednesday night and Saturday night, depending on how long it takes. Stay tuned!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'm now following up my remarks with this article: Pentax K 5 Features worth noting I - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

I'll be posting a new discussion thread shortly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-06-2010, 02:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great info, thanks.

30 JPGs, on average, sounds good