Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #1

K-5 to K-7 LCD screen comparison... still IPS?

Hello,

Would anyone happen to know (via comparison between the two bodies) whether the K-5 still has an IPS LCD screen? This was one spec that was listed on the K-7 spec sheet, but seemed absent on the K-5 official specs... I am assuming that since most of the bodies are identical, it would be the same, but perhaps they took it out as a cost-cutting measure.

Could someone compare/contrast the two screens please?

Thanks!

11-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #2

Original Poster
Nobody? I thought a number of people had seen both in person at any number of recent trade shows???
11-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What do you mean with IPS ?
The only difference is that on K-5's you see less reflections or the light reflections are darker...
11-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
The only difference is that on K-5's you see less reflections or the light reflections are darker...
IPS = In Plane Switching. It's a technology for LCDs that gives good visibility from much wider angles than other technologies like TN (used in consumer LCD monitors). The image retains brightness, contrast, and color much better with IPS.

I have not seen the specs for Pentax LCDs but I suspect that IPS (or something similar) would be common for decent cameras of any kind.

11-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's the same exact screen as far as I know, and is now used on all of Pentax's current bodies: the K-5, K-r, and 645D.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's the same exact screen as far as I know, and is now used on all of Pentax's current bodies: the K-5, K-r, and 645D.
Just odd to me that it wouldn't be publicized as such. It's a big deal (to me) to have relatively accurate colour at all viewing angles. Not knowing that has made me hesitate on the purchase. I was hoping that the shatterproof glass from the 645d and the limited edition K7 would have been standard too; any idea if this made it to the K5 as well but not specified as such?
11-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
To explain thigmo's concern ... I turn you to a comparison of two screens showing the same image in top-of-the-line machines, one display using TN, the other IPS. On the left is one of the only (and best) laptop currently available with an IPS display in the 8740w (I was one of the 1st to receive this this year), on the right one of the best TN displays that can be had in the Alienware M17x-R.

HP 8740w Review! - Full Metal Jacket!

Referring to just the 1st image in the 2nd post of the thread that I link to above, You can clearly see why thigmo wants to make sure the K-5 also has IPS. TN display technology used in most every laptop today has absolutely horrendous viewing angles; they might look fine straight on, but they have terrible contrast & color fall-off, then color inversion at extreme angles.