Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exploring the K-5: part 3

This is the official discussion thread for part three of our "Exploring the K-5" series, which focuses on uses of the RAW button and new AF-related menu options.

Exploring the K 5039s Features Part III - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-06-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These are great, and very helpful.

Maybe a little typo :

"6.
On the K-5, the RAW button can now be used for more than just toggling RAW mode. Because of the addition of the only-the-fly RAW conversion"

Don't you mean, on the fly ?

Maybe also, in the new articles, link to the previous ones.
Super job, btw. The K5 gets more and more appealing

Last edited by Jonson PL; 11-06-2010 at 03:03 AM.
11-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
On the K-5, the RAW button can now be used for more than just toggling RAW mode. Because of the addition of the only-the-fly RAW conversion"

If you are in JPEG mode, you can instantly store the last shot still in the Buffer memory as a RAW file. For a JPEG shooter, its useful as an "Oops" backup if you realised upon review that the last shot was badly done, no chance for a re-take, and you need to have it as a RAW file to do further PP.

Many users use RAW exclusively, of course, but its good that Pentax increasingly pays attention to Out of Camera JPEG users as well. Shooting in RAW is not always an option.

Last edited by kittykat46; 11-06-2010 at 08:40 AM.
11-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is the official discussion thread for part three of our "Exploring the K-5" series, which focuses on uses of the RAW button and new AF-related menu options.

Exploring the K 5039s Features Part III - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
Hi Adam,

I'm enjoying this series, as you go into considerably more depth about important working features that are only mentioned, if even that, in the spec sheets and reviews elsewhere. Insights to the practical benefits of these features to shooters are usually only discovered after we've had the camera in our hands for quite a while, and had time to play with them. Some features never get used because many people don't know they exist or understand how to use them to help their shooting workflow.

I think it would be a good idea to link to the other parts of the series within each article itself. It took me quite a while to find the others under the "Professional Review" heading.

. . . but then, maybe it's just that I'm a little dense. . .

Scott

11-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
You could just scroll down a bit- they're all on the homepage right now

Eventually, though, they will likely be linked to form more places, as you're suggesting, i.e. once the actual review is up.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
These are great, and very helpful.

Maybe a little typo :

"6.

Yup- thanks for the catch! Fixed

Adam

11-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Adam,

I'm enjoying this series, as you go into considerably more depth about important working features that are only mentioned, if even that, in the spec sheets and reviews elsewhere. Insights to the practical benefits of these features to shooters are usually only discovered after we've had the camera in our hands for quite a while, and had time to play with them. Some features never get used because many people don't know they exist or understand how to use them to help their shooting workflow.

I think it would be a good idea to link to the other parts of the series within each article itself. It took me quite a while to find the others under the "Professional Review" heading.

. . . but then, maybe it's just that I'm a little dense. . .

Scott
Thanks, now I found the overview also :
Professional DSLR reviews coming17 - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

And Part IV is already up too

11-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Hi Adam, just another typo:

QuoteQuote:
8. Redesigned Mode Button The exposure mode button has grown! As a result of user feedback on the K-7, it's taller than that of its prefecessor, and therefore easier to grip!

Also, thanks for the info on exposure bracketing. I was particularly intrigued by the idea of doing 2 exposures. I'm assuming you could do one normal and one -1 or more? Considering the shadows performance and DR of this camera, it seems like a good idea to take an under-exposed image just in case.

Is it possible to set the camera to always take 2 exposures (bracketing)? Or do you have to press a button between each shot to activate it?

11-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
There's a custom functions which makes the camera automatically shoot the two photos, as opposed to having to press the shutter release button twice! You can configure the ev separation to be whatever you want!
11-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #10

Adam, one thing I'm curious about.

When shooting long exposures in Bulb Mode, does the K5 display a timer (counter) on the LCD screen to let you know how many seconds have passed? While I've seen this on many Canikons, my K10D doesn't do this and I really would love to have that feature. I'm tired of counting :-)

I guess I'll find out soon enough - my K5 should arrive this week.
11-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bats Quote
Adam, one thing I'm curious about.

When shooting long exposures in Bulb Mode, does the K5 display a timer (counter) on the LCD screen to let you know how many seconds have passed? While I've seen this on many Canikons, my K10D doesn't do this and I really would love to have that feature. I'm tired of counting :-)

I guess I'll find out soon enough - my K5 should arrive this week.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but I haven't checked! Won't get a change to shoot with it until Wednesday.

Adam