Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 09:55 AM - 2 Likes   #91
Loyal Site Supporter

Was someone saying something? I'm having trouble hearing anything over the awesomeness of my K5.

11-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Was someone saying something? I'm having trouble hearing anything over the awesomeness of my K5.
HAHAHAHAHAHA rep
11-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
So, should I sell my MF gear yet? (Seriously?).
11-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #94
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So all in all...Pentax wins this round? This is some great news!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Whatever the score means, it's good to see so many Pentax users feeling good about the brand again and getting their mojo back.

This should help muffle the 'Pentax is doomed' refrain around here. At least for a few weeks.
I think the vast silent majority never lost any 'mojo', just the noisy minority that have to pick over every single detail!
It is however good to see Pentax punching above its weight yet again and being verified by an independant source....
I've my order in , just trying to juggle selling the K20D and my Single in November campaign.
11-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Whatever the score means, it's good to see so many Pentax users feeling good about the brand again and getting their mojo back.

This should help muffle the 'Pentax is doomed' refrain around here. At least for a few weeks.
+1. Pentax deserves something to crow about besides our Limiteds - downtrodden no more! (I don't think the D7000 is going to surpass the k-5 in ratings or general pro reviews at this point. I think the aps-c hill has been won by Pentax until sometime in 2011.)

11-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So all in all...Pentax wins this round? This is some great news!
Well, DxO has yet to analyze the D7000.

11-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #98
Veteran Member

I will admit that I was about to leave the brand for video. But the K-5's AMAZING performance has me prepping my credit card for $1600 of pain. I have a rental K-5 arriving today; with today's news, I'm just about ready to find that truck and swipe my package.

- Jason
11-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #99

Maybe we'll see a thorough K-5 review from one of the usual professional outlets now....

(not that I need one, I'm loving mine!)
11-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm interested in the results for the D7000 as well, but my eyes are squarely on the K-5. Reading in other forums, most early adopters seem to be disappointed or underwhelmed by the D7000. And there's the hot pixel issue that seems to be making some waves now too.
11-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #101

I almost did the same Jason, but I decided that the K-5's video would be good quality aside from the lack of framerate/manual options. I'm planning on using all my Pentax optics with a novoflex K adapter and an AF100 for my main video source, despite the loss of auto follow focus etc.

Last edited by Singulariter; 11-05-2010 at 10:45 AM.
11-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #102
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Look at the DR scores, the K-5 is better than or equal to the 5dMkII and the D700 at every ISO, and beats them to dust at low ISO.
It doesn't surprise me that it beats the snot-bubbles out of the 5D2. That thing is NOT good in terms of DR at all and shows massive banding in high-ISO shadows.

The D700, on the other hand reminds me of what I thought when I saw the D90 score when it was first released. The D90 DR is shown as better than the D700 (12.5 vs. 12.2), yet I know from owning BOTH that the D90 DR is NOT better than the D700. In fact, it's significantly poorer in regard to highlight DR. The D700 had a 1+EV advantage in the highlights (if you compare them by the moment a color channel clips) and the 14-bit highlights transitioned much more smoothly than the 12-bit D90 highlights. The D90 was no slouch, but it was not the ETTR miracle-worker that the D700 was.

I wonder if DXO even takes into account color information or just luminance when measuring DR...I really need to read up on their SOP for DR testing. If I look at the Fuji S5 score of 13.5EV, I really start to think they are not concerned with the status of ALL the channels and are only looking at luminance...cuz the S5 is terrible about clipping individual channels (though retaining luminance data, see terrible color cast of pulled S5 photos!)

Also, looking at the under-exposed, yet recoverable K-5 shots that I've seen, I tend to think a lot of that DR may be in the shadows...which is fine...it just means that you will need to err on the side of under-exposing, if that works out to be the case.

Last edited by AngryCorgi; 11-05-2010 at 11:10 AM.
11-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
QuoteQuote:
I'm done looking, so whoever wants to jump on their website next, feel free

Looks good, and as expected after using the K5 for a couple weeks now.
Dgaies .... are you telling us that you're done testing and actually going out there taking pics?

I meant I was done viewing the DXO website and whoever wants to jump on (to the DXO website) should feel free. I was making a reference to people asking other to get off the DXO website because it was clogged up and people were having trouble loading it this morning
11-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #104
Veteran Member

I dont thing we need to bash on others cameras, we should just be happy with what the K-5 can do now because you know a better camera will come... This is the reality
11-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I dont thing we need to bash on others cameras, we should just be happy with what the K-5 can do now because you know a better camera will come... This is the reality
Agreed. I'm sure the D800/5DMkIII/etc will trump the K5 once they are released, just like 18 months from now the K3 will exceed the capabilities of the K5.

That's just how it goes