Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #1

K5 DXO marks creating a buzz on Sony forum

I don't know if this is worth a post, or if it should be in news/rumors or elsewhere, but I thought it was fun. I'm currently Pentaxless (in digital, anyway), using an old Minolta 7D and occasionally popping into the Sony forum, Dyxum.com. This thread just popped up:

Amazing K-5 DxO results - Dyxum forums - Page 1

They're pretty good folks over there; a couple dual-system Pentax/Sony users post often. One may even be a moderator. Anyway, a highlight below of one post:

"I'm thinking five things, all good.

i. Nikon FF are pretty scared by this.
ii. Canon are totally scared by this.
iii. I can't wait to see the A580 scores
iv. The A77 should be a cracking camera
v. A FF sensor with this technology would be crazy good."

11-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Always good to have a different perspective. There is no doubt this camera is the next step in APS-C evolution. Of course it might easily be leapfrogged by another brand once they refresh their line-up. Some of the full-frame offerings especially are looking a little long in the tooth!
11-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using that sony sensor technology does not work with canon as they don't wanna lose one brand integration (inside and out) however nikon does and why D7k has it. That being said it appears in a few threads about the same sensor, the pentax algorithm or whatever they have in the firmware/hardware really does better than the other brand and i wont be surprise if the DxO mark for d7k stay below K-5. just my 2 cts

...buaobao
11-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #4

Camera is sure causing a lot of talk, wonder how glad pentax is?haha.

11-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unkabin Quote
v. A FF sensor with this technology would be crazy good."
Yep, my money is on the 'D800', 'D4' and 'D4X' all using this technology in a FF package.

FWIW, my colleagues over on the Canon forums really couldn't care less .
11-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
ha! I suppose not. Sony shooters are obviously excited/envious, hoping that Sony can do as well with their own sensor!
11-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Yep, my money is on the 'D800', 'D4' and 'D4X' all using this technology in a FF package.
True, but how much better IQ will you get for the added size/weight/expense? Are the trade-offs of FF becoming too great to justify, given the huge jump in APS-C IQ? I think that many people will now conclude that they are.

QuoteQuote:
To be expected. Canon puts out good products, and switching systems is a pain and an expense. Plus, when you have been conditioned to believe that your system is the best, it's hard to accept the fact that it may not be. 7D owners will not like the feeling of inferiority and will demand that Canon raise their standards, which I expect them to do.

Rob

11-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
True, but how much better IQ will you get for the added size/weight/expense? Are the trade-offs of FF becoming too great to justify, given the huge jump in APS-C IQ? I think that many people will now conclude that they are.
People need to stop obsessing with this "sensor / IQ" tunnel vision, it's starting to get rediculous. The semi-pros and pros who run expensive camera systems have a lot more to think about than just the sensor inside the camera. Just because Sony have produced a Jesus-Sensor for APS-C doesn't mean that FF is suddenly defunct and Canikon FF owners are gonna panic, sell up and buy a K-5 based system.

7D owners will not like the feeling of inferiority and will demand that Canon raise their standards, which I expect them to do.
As a 7D and Pentax owner, I somewhat resent that. My 7D takes photographs of outstanding quality and will always do so regardless. I feel absolutely no inferiority because there are certain aspects of the Pentax system that fall far short for me personally. However, I am delighted that Pentax have got their finger out and produced a superb body because they are definitely back in the game - I am considering replacing my K20D with a K-5.
11-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
As a 7D and Pentax owner, I somewhat resent that. My 7D takes photographs of outstanding quality and will always do so regardless. I feel absolutely no inferiority because there are certain aspects of the Pentax system that fall far short for me personally. However, I am delighted that Pentax have got their finger out and produced a superb body because they are definitely back in the game - I am considering replacing my K20D with a K-5.
No offense intended. I'm glad that you are a secure individual, but I can assure you that there are many who are not and who are unhappy when they perceive that someone else has something better than they, even if what they have is very good. There are psychological studies showing that people tend to feel poor mainly in relation to others having more. If they are unaware of having less, they are more likely to feel satisfied. I think that we have all seen or felt these dynamics in our own lives.

Rob
11-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where are these new, better full frame sensors going to come from, if the rumor is true that Sony is going to stop making full frame sensors?

Anyway, while I do expect their to be improvements in full frame sensors, at a certain point it is purely academic. How high iso, how big dynamic range is necessary to get an excellent image?
11-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Sony is designing a new24 MPIP sensor. Nikon and Sony will use it and ... a third DSLR maker (no name)
11-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
Zav
Pentaxian

To be expected. Canon puts out good products, and switching systems is a pain and an expense. Plus, when you have been conditioned to believe that your system is the best, it's hard to accept the fact that it may not be. 7D owners will not like the feeling of inferiority and will demand that Canon raise their standards, which I expect them to do.

Rob
I kind of disagree there. I am not a Canon shooter but I tried some of their cameras (from the 550D to the 1Dmkiii): Canon delivers REGULARLY good products. On the other hand, Sony have let their APS-c amateur-expert users (ie the k-5/7D/d300 users segment) orphans for faaaaaar too long! No wonder they have great expectations.
11-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Sony is designing a new24 MPIP sensor. Nikon and Sony will use it and ... a third DSLR maker (no name)
11-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
Its been ages since you last posted and all you give us are three smilies?

Busy selling K-5s, I hope.
11-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Don't bother posting resources on that claim.