Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #46

K-5 Hot Pixels in Video mode

Hi guys, here another bad experience too !

I bought a k-5 with cute and shouting purple hot pixels in video mode, re-forced by some setups I don't control witch ! Something strange too I couldn't fix, the aperture for video recording. It didn't work !
So I had too change it by a new one.... and ... wow !! surprise, new different hot pixels on my new k-5 !!!
It's my first Pentax ... but I still like it after all for all its features, but... don't know what to do.
I'm in contact with technical service that is asking to mother Pentax, what is happening to me .. (my pentax).
A friendly technician confessed to me that sometimes Pentax shutoff some things and give solution directly through a new firmware.
In this case he recommended to me to bring it back if the answer is arriving too late for being allowed to devolution. So I'm waiting for some information about what to do with my second k-5.
If someone has any idea, you're welcome.
I'll let you know more about my story, maybe that can help some !

11-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #47

Photos: Albums
I have heard pixel mapping doesn't work in video mode, because video mode sub-samples the sensor (it doesn't read every pixel). Unfortunate!
11-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
obviously not the best solution, but wouldn't you be able to pixel map it out yourself in post?
11-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #49
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
I guess the stars in the sky, and even the reflection in water are OK. Am not sure about the stars on the beach though...
"We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.
But the stars we could reach
were just starfishs on the beach"

11-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #50

Erasing dead pixels in post doesn't seem to me to be the best solution, ... as I use intensively video.
Would I have to post-process all my footage to use it in my edits ?!
Could you figure, to make a 3 minute advert or short, that can easily reach 100 different shots, maybe rescaled or moved separately, so you can't post-process the all edit in on time, although supposing that each pixels would appear in the same place.
I'll try to find out a solution from start.. the new firmware or ask for my K-5 replacement.
Thanx for your suggestions!
11-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I could now check this with a K-5 myself.

Develops 1 mid gray hot pixel in video after about 5-10 minutes, visible against dark background and visible in LV when ambient light is low.
Not noticeable in normal footage!
The update to 1.01.00.05 doesn't change it.

However, I know that this happens with many (all?) dSLRs. Including K-7 (hot pixels in video there are red).

So, it may be good to check if not all K-5 are equal. I attach an extracted frame after 10 minutes, lens cap shot, rescaled to 50% size, original brightness. The hot pixel is half way from the center to the upper right corner.

Last edited by falconeye; 06-23-2012 at 03:10 AM.
12-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #52

Solution to Hot Pixel in Video !!!

Here is a video I did with one of the 6 K-5 I had to get back...

But I've found workaround to the Video HotPixels issue ... so here I give you the trick, translated by google from Spanish.

This is the post where I was discussing the problem with other users, I hope it could help !

From Pentaxeros.com ¡¡Tu comunidad Pentax en español!! :
[Translation from Spanish]
----------------------

Well, I wanted to share this "discovery" with those who suffer this problem and hope to relieve headaches (mine sure) ...
I don't know if this method was described somewhere, but after searching everywhere I have not seen anything like explaining and solving this problem. but I'm really excited about this method and hope that it'll be fixed with a Pentax firmware.
After many tests, I found a / (the ?) solution, I smiled back and finally this allowed me to stay with my K-5 (which has not just one, but several hot pixels).

THE TRICK (not sloppy or messy):

1 • ... is, to NOT DIRECTLY BOOT with VIDEO MODE and shoot VIDEO!

2 • I mean, if you start up in VIDEO MODE choose a PHOTO MODE nearby on the dial, USER or Automatic (just for ease)
and ... VERY IMPORTANT! PRESS [LV] - Live View, to turn the LCD on. (No need to take pictures or anything else ..)

3 • Finally, with the dial, set up back to VIDEO MODE ... that's it !!! ... and record as long as you want, freely .. even in very low light ... the result is PERFECT! (In my case it is)

I think this activate the internal map of dead pixels (or hotpixels) as PHOTO, but in VIDEO MODE, really what the K-5 is supposed to do automatically in VIDEO. I guess Pentax will solve it by a firmware as it will be done soon by Nikon.

Why are there spots in the video I shoot with the D7000?

I hope this method can be useful to others and enables them to record videos with the K-5 without hot pixels.

I'm interested to know about your tests.

12-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #53
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Answering the OP/Query .... I recently did a number of long shutter night photography shots, both in RAW and in-camera HDR mode. I discovered my replacement camera has some hot-green pixels.

This is not something I'd normally care about as Lightroom usually excises them and wipes them clean ... however, that's when they're 1 pixel large.

It seems this camera has some hot pixels connected to each other. And since those spots are greater than one pixel large, Lightroom is interpreting them as part of the photo and no longer excising them!

...looks like I'm going to have to let this camera take some NR frames to negate the hot pix. I think there's a way to configure Lightroom to use that frame to subtract the noise (if that hasn't been stated in the thread already).
12-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadpixelx Quote
Here is a video I did with one of the 6 K-5 I had to get back...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0rAKnTHM1k

But I've found workaround to the Video HotPixels issue ... so here I give you the trick, translated by google from Spanish.

This is the post where I was discussing the problem with other users, I hope it could help !

From Pentaxeros.com ¡¡Tu comunidad Pentax en español!! :
[Translation from Spanish]
----------------------

Well, I wanted to share this "discovery" with those who suffer this problem and hope to relieve headaches (mine sure) ...
I don't know if this method was described somewhere, but after searching everywhere I have not seen anything like explaining and solving this problem. but I'm really excited about this method and hope that it'll be fixed with a Pentax firmware.
After many tests, I found a / (the ?) solution, I smiled back and finally this allowed me to stay with my K-5 (which has not just one, but several hot pixels).

THE TRICK (not sloppy or messy):

1 • ... is, to NOT DIRECTLY BOOT with VIDEO MODE and shoot VIDEO!

2 • I mean, if you start up in VIDEO MODE choose a PHOTO MODE nearby on the dial, USER or Automatic (just for ease)
and ... VERY IMPORTANT! PRESS [LV] - Live View, to turn the LCD on. (No need to take pictures or anything else ..)

3 • Finally, with the dial, set up back to VIDEO MODE ... that's it !!! ... and record as long as you want, freely .. even in very low light ... the result is PERFECT! (In my case it is)

I think this activate the internal map of dead pixels (or hotpixels) as PHOTO, but in VIDEO MODE, really what the K-5 is supposed to do automatically in VIDEO. I guess Pentax will solve it by a firmware as it will be done soon by Nikon.

Why are there spots in the video I shoot with the D7000?

I hope this method can be useful to others and enables them to record videos with the K-5 without hot pixels.

I'm interested to know about your tests.
Works for me, thank you.
12-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Nice movie quote!
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I believe the appropriate quote is:

"My God, it's full of stars!"
Let me guess ..... LA County Jail ??