Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This kind of detail recovery is par for the course for the K-5.
More reason than ever to shoot RAW.

11-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

normally I would do an ETTR, but with such DR and noise control, I would be confident to do ETTL.
11-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #18
Forum Member

good to salvage a photo..
11-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Good doggie!

11-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #20
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
W-O-W. And I'm surprised it only needed 3 stop adjustment to bring it back (well, I guess the light fill is another stop or maybe more in just the lower third of the histogram).

Not only is that dynamic range impressive, it reminds me of what I'm missing. Can't wait to get a new sensor that isn't putting out a shower of hot pixels like my heavily used old K10D does now. I basically have to shoot RAW to get rid of them all.
11-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Long exposure, and low iso, and Low noise

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service dng file
11-07-2010, 02:16 AM   #22
Inactive Account

amazing dynamic range. finally, a significant upgrade..

11-07-2010, 03:23 AM   #23
Col
Veteran Member

Please stop this.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

This is pushed 3 stops and has had the fill light boosted to about 75% in ACR... Go ahead and click the fixed picture to pixel peep if you wish.. There Is a slight amount of NR applied in ACR but normally something like this would be unserviceable.

Pretty impressive... To me anyway.

Are we planning a "I've made the worse exposure" competition? Can't recall so many members being so pleased to have cocked up a shot. But I think you'll better stop soon before R high or K Rockwll start reporting metering issues
11-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Are we planning a "I've made the worse exposure" competition? Can't recall so many members being so pleased to have cocked up a shot. But I think you'll better stop soon before R high or K Rockwll start reporting metering issues

The K-5 exposes accurately.

Accidentally taking the shot before the external flash is ready is a common enough boo-boo....this actually has a practical use.
11-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
W-O-W. And I'm surprised it only needed 3 stop adjustment to bring it back (well, I guess the light fill is another stop or maybe more in just the lower third of the histogram).

Not only is that dynamic range impressive, it reminds me of what I'm missing. Can't wait to get a new sensor that isn't putting out a shower of hot pixels like my heavily used old K10D does now. I basically have to shoot RAW to get rid of them all.
I did try pushing it 4 stops with much less if any (don't remember at the moment) fill light, the results were about the same. I kind of liked the effect the fill light provided however so that is what I went with..

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote

Accidentally taking the shot before the external flash is ready is a common enough boo-boo....this actually has a practical use.
The metering error is entirely mine, shot in M mode, seconds earlier he was in bright sunlight and that's what the photo is actually exposed for. I know the RH and KR comment was a joke but personally, I've never given a rats fat butt what either one thinks.

As to an 'I've made the worse exposure competition' why not... Except it should be I've Saved the worse exposure contest. You've seen my entry to date...

11-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #26
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I did try pushing it 4 stops with much less if any (don't remember at the moment) fill light, the results were about the same. I kind of liked the effect the fill light provided however so that is what I went with..

The metering error is entirely mine, shot in M mode, seconds earlier he was in bright sunlight and that's what the photo is actually exposed for. I know the RH and KR comment was a joke but personally, I've never given a rats fat butt what either one thinks.

As to an 'I've made the worse exposure competition' why not... Except it should be I've Saved the worse exposure contest. You've seen my entry to date...

I'm entirely with you. But you know RHKR won't let the facts get in the way of feeding their own blogs and self importance (no matter how light-hearted the source). Still I'm in a reverse position ATM I own a K-5 and Lightroom 3 just don't have a PC to run it on for another 2 weeks, so can't make any miraculous recoveries as yet!

yours, quickly running out of SD cards
11-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm entirely with you. But you know RHKR won't let the facts get in the way of feeding their own blogs and self importance (no matter how light-hearted the source).

what sad people.
11-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #28
Forum Member

Very nice. Plenty of detail in that image, especially considering how much light you had to add in post-processing.
11-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote

I have to agree,happens to me sometimes.With a piece of tool like the K5 life has changed immensely.Question,when the word gets out will Pentax be able to cope with the demand ?
11-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frederick Quote
I have to agree,happens to me sometimes.With a piece of tool like the K5 life has changed immensely.Question,when the word gets out will Pentax be able to cope with the demand ?
Yeah, it won't make that much difference to demand; Canikons will still use Canikons because they are bigger and 'better!'