Few days ago I shot my first photos with new K-5. This one was underexposed:

So, I try +4.5EV in Aperture3:

06-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #48

Amazing!
Just amazing.
06-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #49

Photos: Albums
K7 Too

This is impressive. I wanted to see if I could do something similar with my k7 so I found a photo I'd taken on Manual while set up for the Key West Sunset. I turned the camera and took a couple pictures before realizing I was on M. I think the WB was on Daylight, not sure, but I know the other settings were:

Shutter Speed: 1/160
Aperture: f8
ISO: 100
Lens: DA 16-50 @ 50mm (75 equiv)

I always shoot in RAW+ so the second is an untouched jpeg, and the first is after pushing its' RAW counterpart four stops in ACR, and another in post.

I think that's all I did. I was going to try to reduce the noise, but don't have a good program for that yet, and don't know how to use CS5 well enough yet. I'm sure some of you could do much better than I did recovering an arguably unusable photo, but after seeing above I just wanted to give it a try. The nicest thing about Pentax is that after a couple shots I hit the green button and got much better results.

I know this isn't in the same league as the k5, but I really like the k7.

Bill

Attached Images

06-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #50
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Not bad. There isn't as much Wrong with the K7 as some would have you believe. I know when I was using mine, I ignored what people were saying about it and just enjoyed the camera. Then again, I've done that with every camera (and lens) I've owned. I traded up the K5 because I'm shallow that way. I like to have the latest.

06-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #51

Photos: Albums
Jeff,
Well said, and thanks.

I would love to have a k5, but I absolutely love my k7. I know the high ISO isn't as good as the k5 or k-x (which I also have), but there is nothing wrong with my k7. I don't have to use any focus corrections, there's no hot pixels, the two flashes I have work perfectly (952AF/PEN and Metz 58 AF-2), I've never cleaned the sensor, only charged the batteries (I have a grip) about 8 times and I have no SDM issues with the DA and DA* lenses I have. I have over 10,000 shutter actuations and feel like it's barely broken in. I feel like I won the lottery every time I pick it up. I wish it could make me a better photographer though... I've had it since November '09 though, and feel a twinge of CBA coming on. There should be a pill for that...

Bill
06-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Not bad. There isn't as much Wrong with the K7 as some would have you believe. I know when I was using mine, I ignored what people were saying about it and just enjoyed the camera. Then again, I've done that with every camera (and lens) I've owned. I traded up the K5 because I'm shallow that way. I like to have the latest.

nothing wrong with having something new.

06-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
There should be a pill for that...

Bill

No there isn't !
But my sweet looking 30 year old nice has developed extraordinary exorcism skills for this ailment.
For a fee she might be interested to cure you, all expenses paid including first class air travel of course.

Greetings