Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #211
Rin
Forum Member

being able to calibrate the Built-in electronic level metering so that it is correctly aligned and doesnt render the auto correction useless. I wonder how many users have a problem with an incorrectly calibrated electronic level camera anyway.

12-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #212
Inactive Account

pour moi c'est la même chose, je suis très déçu qu'il n'y ai pas de réglages manuels
01-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #213
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well not everything is solved yet, so maybe one thing to add on the list.

I always shoot in RAW. Most of the files that I use I develop in Elements, so no problem. But sometimes I just take a bunch (like a hundred or so) and develope them into Jpg in the camera, mostly 6 megapixel size. Put them in an online folder for someone else to look at and make a choice out of them. And here comes the problem:

When you shoot RAW+Jpg both files will get the same name with a different extention. When you shoot RAW and develop the file later in-camera to Jpg the Jpg will get a different number. Wich makes it harder to match them together.

So my wish:
Give incamera jpg developed files from RAW the same number that matches with the original RAW (or give that possibillity, because you can make more different jpg-files (like black/white and colour)).
01-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #214
Veteran Member

deleted .... brain fart sorry :0

02-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #215
Forum Member

better M-series lens support

Firmware v1.02 makes some improvements to how M series lenses are handled, but I would like to see it further improved.
I haven't been able to find any obvious 'solution' so I have some concepts i would like to propose for discussion:

Currently M-series lenses shoot fully dilated, regardless of the aperture bezel setting in all modes except 'X', 'B', and 'M', and unfortunately none of those modes allow 'Program' mode easy (selective automatic or locked) control of the 'other' variables, ie: ISO & shutterspeed.

The basic intent of this discussion is to modify the behavior of an existing mode, probably Av mode or Program mode for a more intuitive way to operate M-series lenses.
Note: if lens aperture data is found then camera functions with normal existing behaviors. If aperture data is not found then special case 'K/M-series' functional differences could engage if selected in advanced options.

Desirable qualities of said 'mode':
-'Optical Preview' with viewfinder exposure metering bar graph. (same as v1.02 'P' and 'M' mode)
-Turning the lens aperture bezel causes shutterspeed and/or ISO setting to automatically adjust to achieve correct exposure.
-The ability to directly adjust ISO and shutterspeed via front/rear dials similar to Program mode; where setting one allows the other to unlock and automatically adapt. Priority is given to the aperture bezel, whereby turning it allows *both* shutterspeed and ISO to automatically adapt unless one of them has been set manually, in which case it may be considered locked.
-Both shutterspeed and ISO cannot be locked at the same time
- Green button:
default action: "P shift" (existing function and menu option)
optional action: "Tv shift" (existing function and menu option)
optional action: "ISO shift" (new function and new menu option - could selectively replace Av shift)
Similar to Program mode, this also allows certain user bias in setting desirable shutterspeed or ISO ranges.

What I have described above seems more appropriate to a modified Program mode, but Av mode would also benefit from a more intuitive use of fully manual aperture lenses. (and not just shoot fully dilated with no other option)... it is 'Aperture priority' mode after all, and an M-series lens is an 'Aperture priority' device IMO, yet selecting Av mode completely negates the apertures aside form full dilation. This is counter-intuitive.

I understand that this presents some interesting challenges for metering exposure, given that the camera has no simple way to interrogate any aperture data from the lens. But I also believe some simple coding could easily add special cases for older lenses.
Such modifications would also benefit A-series lenses when set outside their 'A' aperture setting.

The simplest options I see to allow exposure metering are similar to, but with some additional behaviors to the existing 'green button' function:
If shutterspeed is set manually, and considered to be 'locked' then 'green button causes ISO to auto-adapt.
If ISO is set manually, and considered to be 'locked' then 'green button' causes shutterspeed to auto-adapt.
If neither shutterspeed nor ISO are locked then 'green button' causes both to automatically adapt according to Program bias.

The following seems a little less attractive, but because I find that mashing the green button a lot is undesirable, I suspect I would prefer the following as an advanced option:
An always stopped down/optical preview mode. Where the aperture is always set according to the aperture bezel, possibly darkening the user view. Behaviour would be opposite to normal behaviour and actions such as shutter half press or AF button held would un-stop the view momentarily, so the unstopped (bright) view could be viewed selectively for easier focusing etc but otherwise the view would normally be stopped down/optical preview style.

Possibly even less desirable is an on-power-up query, similar to the existing 'input lens focal length' query, where the user could be asked to input min/max/steps aperture data.
However in the 'always stopped down' mode I describe above the camera effectively never needs to actually know what apertures are available or being set, so perhaps an on-power-up aperture query is moot. Or perhaps the on-power-up focal lenght query could be expanded (via advanced settings) to list supported pentax lenses AND their aperture ranges, so the user simply selects their specific lens. So instead of displaying '50' the unlocked 'input focal length' menu would display '50mm f1.2' , '50mm f2' etc
Obviously something more extensible would be needed for unsupported lenses, so perhaps a separate menu/query could appear after the 'input focal length' menu for those of us with the time and inclination to enter several fields of data. This could be associated with a specific User mode for example.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot S3 IS  Photo 
02-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #216
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I cannot see how they could make a P mode with PK-M lenses, as the aperture is fixed...

The only modes you really can have are those where aperture is set, so Av, TAv, M, B, X...
The other could be a little degraded:
- Sv would be the same as Av with a set ISO (only speed moving)...
- Tv would be the same as TAv (only ISO moving)...

But you're right, those lenses could be better supported.

I've already made a simple proposal towards this: make the camera stop-down on half-press...
This not only enables Av and TAv mode with PK-m lenses, but also P-TTL with m42 and PK-m lenses!!!
Focusing could be made before the half-press anyway, so it won't really be impacted...

You won't have Aperture control by the camera (no P or Sv), but hey, it's PK-m!!!
And no need to enter anything on start up, or have complex things added to the firmware...

And besides, this would keep the handling coherent between m42 and PK-m lenses...

This is really a simple tiny change in the firmware: stop-down the lens on half-press in case the body does not sense the A contact...
Everything else would stay the same (on the exception that P-TTL could be enabled again).
02-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #217

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
I cannot see how they could make a P mode with PK-M lenses, as the aperture is fixed...
just mounted my smc pentax-m 1:2 50mm on my pz-1p to check, and in A mode, if i turn the collar, the camera will set a shutter speed accordingly for correct exposure, so i can see where BETLOG is going with this. interestingly enough i was playing with this very lens on my K-5 today and the best way i could get proper exposure was to press the green button after setting the aperture--that would stop down the lens and obtain a correct shutter speed--but the ISO is fixed.

interestingly enough, this felt like my film days using hyper-manual i don't see it as a big burden to manually set the ISO, as heck, whatever film you loaded in the camera, you were stuck with until you shot up the last frame so it's not too big a deal to set ISO whilst in M mode.

-raph

02-09-2011, 02:40 AM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raphtze Quote
just mounted my smc pentax-m 1:2 50mm on my pz-1p to check, and in A mode, if i turn the collar, the camera will set a shutter speed accordingly for correct exposure, so i can see where BETLOG is going with this. -raph
That's because film cameras all had a stop-down coupler that could receive the current aperture difference from the lens. The body did not know what aperture was used, just that it was (for example) 2-1/2 stops down from the wide open value...

This coupler was removed since the last film bodies (low-end MZ and the *ist, I think), so our DSLRs cannot know what aperture is actually selected on the lens...

But even so, I don't think there was a Tv mode (thus a P mode also) available with PK-m lenses, as the camera had no way to know the smallest aperture available on the lens...

So, apart from a complex (and hard to implement) solution involving manually entering max aperture, then the body mapping the aperture lever effect on exposure, and recording the results under a custom name, which frankly I don't see Pentax doing, there is no way for the body to control aperture on PK-m lenses (and even those old film camera had not this feature).

Like I said, my proposal is the simplest and easiest solution about this, and maybe the only one that has a chance to be included in future releases due to its small footprint on firmwares.

Last edited by dlacouture; 02-09-2011 at 02:46 AM.
02-09-2011, 03:07 AM   #219

That's because film cameras all had a stop-down coupler that could receive the current aperture difference from the lens. The body did not know what aperture was used, just that it was (for example) 2-1/2 stops down from the wide open value...
ah yesss i remember this now..... thought more about your idea of the 1/2 press on the shutter to get correct exposure and that's a lot tastier than hitting the green button. <crazy mode>i think maybe pentax should turn their software "open" and let the hackers go crazy (sorta like how kinect for xbox 360 was hacked and now all sortsa cool things are being used with it) and then such a hack like the one you describe would probably be possible it would certainly be a wild wild decision for pentax, but it would generate insane publicity....</crazy mode>

-raph
02-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #220
Forum Member

I've already made a simple proposal towards this: make the camera stop-down on half-press...
please link that up?
just mounted my smc pentax-m 1:2 50mm on my pz-1p to check, and in A mode, if i turn the collar, the camera will set a shutter speed accordingly for correct exposure
Exactly, I am interested in emulating the behavior I know from an ME Super; which is the same as what you describe above.
We turn the bezel, and shutterspeed auto-adjusts.
However v1.02 does this:
We turn the bezel, and it is totally ignored.
...except in modes: X, B, and M, where neither ISO nor shutterspeed can be set to auto-adjust, or Av (etc) mode; where only ISO can auto-adjust despite shutterspeed seeming to be a more useful variable.
Of course, selectively allowing both shutterspeed *and* ISO to auto-adjust would be better IMO.

pentax should turn their software "open"
As long as firmware can 'damage' the camera, and the firmware components are not user replaceable, and not pentax-retail-able... they will resist, I expect.

Last edited by BETLOG; 02-09-2011 at 06:12 AM.
02-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #221
Veteran Member

So far I have owned a K-5 for a week. I have owned the K-7 for 20 months an 20,000 photos. Anyhow I am still occassionally "fat fingering" the liveview button when I am really tryin gto move the focus point. The way the K-5 ok button now works with the quick push to get the focus point to move to the center point and a longer push to change modes is a great idea. Now using the same thinking with the Liveview button why not have a quick push do nothing while a longer push gets you into liveview. It should be a very simple FW update.
02-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BETLOG Quote
please link that up?
Thread is there...

I've been e-mailing Pentax twice with this proposal, each time through the japanese, American and French websites at the same time...
For it to really be noticed, we should do a collective mail "attack", but I guess we are not that many manual lenses users...

Exactly, I am interested in emulating the behavior I know from an ME Super; which is the same as what you describe above.
We turn the bezel, and shutterspeed auto-adjusts.
However v1.02 does this:
We turn the bezel, and it is totally ignored.
That's because they removed the aperture coupler, and this cannot be fixed by firmware...

...except in modes: X, B, and M, where neither ISO nor shutterspeed can be set to auto-adjust, or Av (etc) mode; where only ISO can auto-adjust despite shutterspeed seeming to be a more useful variable.
Of course, selectively allowing both shutterspeed *and* ISO to auto-adjust would be better IMO.
I don't understand... In Av mode, you either set an ISO value and the camera will adjust shutter speed accordingly, or enable Auto-iso and then the camera will adjust both following the simple following rule: it will choose the lowest ISO that can give a 1/100 shutter speed (which is quite dumb as the camera knows the lens' focal length).
02-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #223
Forum Member

I don't understand
You have a point; i'd forgotten that the chosen shutterspeed can vary a little.
I guess my point is that the aperture bezel is ignored in Av mode and that this is completely counterintuitive.
02-10-2011, 05:19 AM   #224

ProPhoto RGB color space for DNG and PEF files
02-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #225
Forum Member

User definable limits for Image Stabilization.
I get the feeling it really doesn't help for anything slower than about 1/3sec