11-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5's improved live view

In this article, we take a look at what's new in the K-5's live view system:

Exploring the K 5's Features Part V - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for writing these articles, Adam, as there is not a local store I can go in to see a K-5.
11-08-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a nice coverage of the feature list.

However, how about writing beyond the obvious? After all, it's all in the downloadable user's guide.

Like that the Golden ratio rule grid is in fact a rule of Thirds grid (1.618 is not 1.500)?

Or that face detection at work, as shown by it's OEM's video?

Or your own quick video of contrast AF at work, maybe with a speed measure obtained from a phone's sound recording? Or at least a link to PF content like https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/120408-video-k-5s-...ml#post1246221?

Or about the quality of LV zoom? Along the lines I did for the K-7 and posted here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1240008-post14.html

Last edited by falconeye; 11-08-2010 at 05:20 AM.
11-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
If you'd like to contribute further information, you're more then welcome to. These article are intended for people relatively new to the Pentax system.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
These article are intended for people relatively new to the Pentax system.
Sorry, I didn't realize the intention of the article. Now I read:
QuoteQuote:
Until the reviews are up, we will be posting brief homepage articles
I think that's fair enough.

Waiting for the reviews though.
11-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Forum Member

Thank you for providing this article, it's quite informing to me!
11-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nezih Quote
Thank you for providing this article, it's quite informing to me!

Same here... I just made another comment in a different thread. Until the other day I had never used Live View on any of my Pentax cameras... just old school stubborness, but gave it a go to see what face recognition is about... found it very good and beyond what I expected.

11-23-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Same here... I just made another comment in a different thread. Until the other day I had never used Live View on any of my Pentax cameras... just old school stubborness, but gave it a go to see what face recognition is about... found it very good and beyond what I expected.
One often overlooked use of Live View is it can provide Autofocus in low-light levels below the shut-down point of the Viewfinder-based AF module, which would be about 0 EV in the K-5.
Live View makes full use of the K-5's excellent High-ISO capability to lock in Contrast Detect focus in low-light.
Combine that with the K-5's much improved LV AF speed, and it becomes very usable in dim light, where the only available option previously would have been Manual Focus.
11-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
One often overlooked use of Live View is it can provide Autofocus in low-light levels below the shut-down point of the Viewfinder-based AF module, which would be about 0 EV in the K-5.
Live View makes full use of the K-5's excellent High-ISO capability to lock in Contrast Detect focus in low-light.
Combine that with the K-5's much improved LV AF speed, and it becomes very usable in dim light, where the only available option previously would have been Manual Focus.
My experience has been that the live view af is very good, but that the safox af is still more accurate if the AF assit light is fired to help it out.

Adam

11-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
Forum Member

Quite informing, thanks Adam