Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I'm joking, of course.
It's all good. Just never turn your back..there always seems to be the wave that gets you. I did have issues with my 16-45 a couple of years back with hazing on the front element with salt from spray in the air, but it did eventually polish up. I think you having the option to wash a lens is probably a good one.
Don't turn your back is right! You can stand in a safe spot and watch how far the waves are coming up on the jetty all you want. But as soon as you go out to the spot you decided was good and turn your back, you get housed by a big wave. Yippee.

11-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Don't turn your back is right! You can stand in a safe spot and watch how far the waves are coming up on the jetty all you want. But as soon as you go out to the spot you decided was good and turn your back, you get housed by a big wave. Yippee.
Yippee indeed. The only time I've been goosed worse with a camera is while taking pictures snorkelling on a reef when a big set came in. Not fun, and trying to keep the housing off the rocks was not a happy deal.

But I digress.

Buy Pentax! The weathersealing works!
11-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Wow, they both look like crap
was it the kenrockwell watermark?
11-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Yippee indeed. The only time I've been goosed worse with a camera is while taking pictures snorkelling on a reef when a big set came in. Not fun, and trying to keep the housing off the rocks was not a happy deal.

But I digress.

Buy Pentax! The weathersealing works!

Hi, Clarkey, I know you had some experience with the 7D which I agree is a fine camera. How would you rate the WR feature of that camera? I know last time I was at a wedding party, when a rain shower just hit us unexpectedly fast everyone (including those with 5Ds) scrambled for covers except me (with my K10D and my DA* lens). I suspect that the 7D has better WR seals than the 5Ds.

11-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #35
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Hi, Clarkey, I know you had some experience with the 7D which I agree is a fine camera. How would you rate the WR feature of that camera? I know last time I was at a wedding party, when a rain shower just hit us unexpectedly fast everyone (including those with 5Ds) scrambled for covers except me (with my K10D and my DA* lens). I suspect that the 7D has better WR seals than the 5Ds.
Even with a K-5 and WR lens, I would still be scrambling for cover. Even if a little bit of moisture gets in and messes things up, Pentax still wouldn't cover it under warranty. No company would. They just try to make it as WR as possible and call it resistant so when one drop of water kills your camera, they still don't have to take the blame.

BTW 7D's seals are better than 5D's, but no match for the 1 series.
11-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Even with a K-5 and WR lens, I would still be scrambling for cover. Even if a little bit of moisture gets in and messes things up, Pentax still wouldn't cover it under warranty. No company would. They just try to make it as WR as possible and call it resistant so when one drop of water kills your camera, they still don't have to take the blame.

BTW 7D's seals are better than 5D's, but no match for the 1 series.
Sorry, I asked... I know you're a big fanboy and owned the 7D. But I can tell you that I took my k10D to the test... soaked in rain (August down pour).... would you do that with your 7D? I just wiped it with a clean tower and good for the rest of the wedding.
11-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I think the K-5 retains more detail than that at 25,600. Although, I don't know if those were unprocessed RAWs that Ken was shooting, or if they were in camera jpegs, that have NR all over them.
It's against his religion to shoot raw, I think. He doesn't do it anyway.

In this particular case he even admits to not setting the same sharpening settings in all cameras, making the results even less useful.

11-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
I would think the canon 5d would be ideal for landscape not just for its extra resolution but because its wider angle of view. 20mm is 20mm and not 30mm like with a cropped aps-c sensor...
Boy using the Sigma 10-20 on my K20 sure gives me plenty of wide angle, can't see why you want more than that! I shoot only landscapes and this K5 is starting to sound like a possible upgrade from the K20.
11-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjtn Quote
I shoot with a Canon 5D MKII and have been considering the Pentax K5 since it came out. I take only landscape photographs, always at base ISO and print up to 16x24".
If I was shooting purley landscapes the 5D MkII with a 17mm or 24mm TS lens would be a superb combo thats hard to beat.

All depends on what your main priorities are.
1. Lighter weight with the Pentax
2. More weight with better IQ from the above combo
11-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #40
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Sorry, I asked... I know you're a big fanboy and owned the 7D. But I can tell you that I took my k10D to the test... soaked in rain (August down pour).... would you do that with your 7D? I just wiped it with a clean tower and good for the rest of the wedding.
No I wouldn't soak it in rain. I know that if it got accidently rained on though it would be fine. I'm also not a fanboy.

I'm also not sure why you said sorry. I never said you did the wrong thing, I was just stating what I would do. I know these cameras are all pretty WR, but electronics and water just aren't real great friends. And like I said, no manufacturer is gunna cover any kind of water damage under warranty.
11-09-2010, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the requirements for landscape are:

dynamic range which can be solved with HDR.
resolution which can be solved with stiching
width which can also be solved with stiching.

K-5 would trade dynamic range and sealing for resolution and width (due to the crop factor)
11-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Does anyone else think that a 12-24 WR would be a killer tool for a serious landscape photographer?
YES!!!! I love the current 12-24. It'd be perfect with WR.
11-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #43

Original Poster
Pentax k5 image quality

HDR and stitching aren't much good with moving scenes. That rules out pretty much any beach photographs or photos with lots of water moving. Clouds can pose a problem too, especially since my shutter speeds are usually over a few seconds.

I'm going to have to think about the k5. I really don't expect to see an image quality difference between it and the 5D MKII. It may even look better if it doesn't band every time you try to lift the shadows.
11-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
No I wouldn't soak it in rain. I know that if it got accidently rained on though it would be fine. I'm also not a fanboy.

I'm also not sure why you said sorry. I never said you did the wrong thing, I was just stating what I would do. I know these cameras are all pretty WR, but electronics and water just aren't real great friends. And like I said, no manufacturer is gunna cover any kind of water damage under warranty.
I stood under a waterfall at Milford Sound NZ with my K-7 and 50-135, not the slightest worry about the weather sealing. I just wiped the water off when I got back into the boat cabin. It's all still going strong 6 months later. Can the Canons do that? any of them? I like tough cameras!
11-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #45
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Can the Canons do that? any of them? I like tough cameras!
Well, yes, they can. 1-series and probably the 7D. I know the 1-series will but I am not sure I have heard of anyone soaking a 7D under a waterfall. Not sure why you would want to to be honest though. Just keep the camera out of the water?