Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

new k-5 and issue with 360fgz

finally got the k-5 (thanks newegg) and mounted the da40 and my 360fgz flash. taking indoor pcitures i noticed that most shots were over-exposed when using the 360 fgz set at ttl and bouncing light of the ceiling. with my k20d, using same flash and ttl settings, pictures were about 1/3 stop under-exposed (my k20d shot with or without flash, indoors or outdoors a little under-exposed).

switching the 360fgz to auto mode seems to fix the problem. i would have thought that ttl would have given more accurate metering and flash intensity. would like to solicit any thoughts or see if any k-5 owners have had the same issue.

thanks.

11-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My experience with TTL and P-TTL with external flash is that the technology is in serious need of refinement. I use mine in Auto mode so I know what to expect.
The strange thing is that the built in flash gives very consistent and predictable results, but my 360 is all over the place for exposure.
11-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

A couple others, including me, have observed this same behavior with the K-5 and P-TTL bounce flash. Direct flash seems to work ok. See these threads for more discussion about this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/119630-my-2-days-old-k5-faulty.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/119808-k-5-flash.html

This is now clearly more than an isolated incident with several people independently reporting the same problem. I'm personally waiting for the upcoming firmware update to see if it fixes the bug.
11-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All would be fixed if the newer DSLRs implemented TTL technology. I still wish Pentax would go back to including that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There seems to be an escalation of the K5 flash "issue".
This being the third thread (at least) on the subject.

Sure comes at a handy time when I am trying to learn flash photography and hoping the K5 would be the ideal camera for that. Luckily enough, I still have my K7 which does not have such issue.

Does anyone have any answer from Pentax yet?

If this is a firmware fix, well, please Pentax do it soon.
If this is harware related .... I am postponing my acquisition of the K5 until it is fixed. It was ordered last week but I am not obliged to buy it.

Why not start a specific thread and send all of the "complaints" to Pentax? ... just a suggestion.

JP
11-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
Forum Member

What mode are you shooting in? I have only played with the flash a little on the K-5, but it seems like it tends to overexpose on TAv mode (picked a really high ISO based on ambient light). In Manual, with a more normal ISO, it exposed fine. Note, however, that this was with direct flash through a diffuser and small softbox.
11-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blockamon Quote
What mode are you shooting in? I have only played with the flash a little on the K-5, but it seems like it tends to overexpose on TAv mode (picked a really high ISO based on ambient light). In Manual, with a more normal ISO, it exposed fine. Note, however, that this was with direct flash through a diffuser and small softbox.
I tried Av, which is the mode I prefer for controlling the aperture, Bokeh, OOF areas, etc ...
Quite a bit of overexposure at wide open and getting increasingly darker as I stop down with the same settings.
I suppose I have to adjust accordingly?

JP

OOps! I thought this was meant for me ... sorry to the OP.

11-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm nervously awaiting the firmware update for this as well.....
It shouldn't be a hardware issue - there's no reason they can't get P-TTL as good as the K-7, which had accurate flash, both direct and bounced.
11-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have no issues at all with K-5 & Metz 48 in P-TTL, bouncing off the walls and ceiling.
11-10-2010, 06:01 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Has anyone contacted Pentax regarding this issue.Will others with K5 and the 360 run some test.These bugs are normal in early runs of new models,and bet will be fixed with other yet to be discovered bugs.
11-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #11

Hi,
I have just posted an update in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/119808-k-5-flash-2.html

Cheers
11-10-2010, 06:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I have no issues at all with K-5 & Metz 48 in P-TTL, bouncing off the walls and ceiling.
Same here with a Sigma 530 Super...
11-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
apologies for not finding the other flash issues. i also shoot in aperture control primarily. hoping for a fix in firmware no.2