Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Ok After almost 10,000 Shutter count and about 3 weeks the K5 is holding up well.
Things I like:
AF speed
ISO/noise (Esp at/above 3200 till 12800)
Auto WB
Jpg Quality
DR is AMAZING!

Things I dislike:
no 1/250 xsync

Things I HATE:
Progressive Buffer (Higher ISO, smaller the Buffer) at 12800 I get 5-6framesn (In both jpg or RAW)
No Voice-memo (The damn thing has a mic, hell my Point and shoots can do this, Come ON!)

Things I expect to see fixed in soon to be released firmware update:
Buffer

Proof the Camera is better than the lens: My 16-50 AF speed/lock-on sux on it compared to any other lens old or new

Good Battery Life. Huge Files, Buffer Sucks! (OOPS Did I already say that)

DXO has it (the sensor) tied for 6th place really with only the D3s really beating it in the 35mm-ish size arena, Amazing
It's not that the buffer gets smaller. It's because the RAW file gets bigger, I think. The ISO 80 RAW is around 20MB, ISO 12800 RAW is like 30MB+.

04-13-2011, 05:18 AM   #62
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have regularly run off 1000+ shots in about 4 hrs at Hot Rod shows here in Qld, Australia with my K200D when I had it. Show opens to public at 8am and by 11 am some of the cars are starting to go especially on a really hot day so in order to get them all you have to be patient, dodge the crowds, grab as many different angles as available and move on to the next as quickly as possible.
My pet hate is a piece of a car in a DVD slideshow of an event I have been to and you have no idea what the whole car looked like, which is why I take so many.
Add in some Moto X and wild bird shots and I took just over 19000 shots in 15mths before I sold it and took a break so I can understand how easy it is to run up huge numbers at an event of any kind when doing it as a journo.
Looking forward to starting again with my KR at a Hot Rod show in about 3 weeks then the 50th Anniversary of Single Seater Racing in Queensland a fortnight later. Gonna be some classics at that!
04-13-2011, 05:56 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Cool report on your experience. Was the hiccup a 'freeze' or similar glitch?
I am curious too. Have you had camera freezing problems shooting at AF-C.
My first K-5 used to freeze a lot. My second has frozen once so far and I have had it for a month. I shoot kids playing most weekends. Usually 2 games and about 800 pics a game is common...I am only a hobby photographer but I find the K5 incredible but then I 'graduated' from a K2000 [which I still use for its compact size].
04-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its like a PC Crash, Whole system freezes up, must take out battery to reset. Nothing really lost other than some time but I have experenced this with every camera I have had in long-term service at one point in time or another. Its nothing serious, now some trools may b*tch and Complain about it if it happens more than once but serisously, Im using these bodies to the extreme. Heck I have seen Nikon D3's freeze for a sec or 2 and require a battery removial. Its something that happens to all electronic equipment at sometime or another.

04-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #65
Veteran Member

I have this same problem with my Garmin GPS navigator. It frequently will lock up, and require a removal of the battery, and a complete re-boot to get it's brain back together. It will just lock up, especially when I need it the most, and require that I stop my car, shut off the Garmin, take out the battery, wait a short time, re-insert the battery and then tell it again where I want to go. It's disgusting and really, I don't know why I own the thing. It's a good thing that Detroit didn't design their cars the same way.........
04-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Things I HATE:
Progressive Buffer (Higher ISO, smaller the Buffer) at 12800 I get 5-6framesn (In both jpg or RAW)
No Voice-memo (The damn thing has a mic, hell my Point and shoots can do this, Come ON!)
Is this pre or post 1.03 FW?
I just checked with my own K-5 and got 22 frames in RAW @ ISO12800
Something definitely not right with that imo.

Edit: 21 frames at 51200
04-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #67
Veteran Member

My microwave of all things locks up (the software, not the door) and requires a power off/on to come back to normal. Shame there's no USB port to flash an update in the firmware. My K-x on the other hand has never locked up.

04-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Is this pre or post 1.03 FW?
I just checked with my own K-5 and got 22 frames in RAW @ ISO12800
Something definitely not right with that imo.

Edit: 21 frames at 51200
look at the original post date....... 1.03 wasn't even out yet
However its now up to sim specs as your findings with all the latest firmware (I upgrade usually a week or so after it has come out BTW)
09-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now up to over 60K... Oddly have been having more freezes and only when the camera is in AF-C with 5-point auto selected and it freezes when it sticks on the right focus point. Really odd, has happened to me 3 times now in the last month (granted I have added about 12k in that time to it but just odd to repeat itsself so exactly)
Also just got a second k5 and put the K7 on back up duty with over 101K on it
09-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #70
Veteran Member

60k clicks in less than a year! That's really something.

Mine hasn't reached 5k yet... I guess I need at least 5 years to reach 60k clicks ...
09-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #71
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm up to about 7K shots in 4 1/2 months.....not any record, but it is hell of a lot of Squirrels! I line this fence top with birdseed and sunflower seed every morning and evening.....and fill the feeders. The fence is covered with birds and Squirrels throughout the day. Fun to watch them!

[IMG] [/IMG]
Regards!