Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I remember panicking a little bit when I noticed the sensor rumbling about in my camera. Currently, I liken the effect to a chocolate in a box: it goes thud a bit when you move it around, but there's nothing really wrong with it when not in use and there's lots right with it when put to use.

11-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frederick Quote
NORMAL !

Why wont Pentax place a sticker on the camera,warning new users ?
I believe they do warn about this very early in the manual. Perhaps they don't put a sticker on the camera because they think that their users are smart enough to RTFM.

Anyway, as others have said, the rattling noise is the sensor bouncing around in it's track when the camera is unpowered, and the noise you here what the camera is running is the image stabilization, which can not be turned off, only disabled.
11-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Its the daemon inside that programs your SD card with the picture he sees out the window. Be gentle with him.
11-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #19
Inactive Account

There was one in mine, When it happened I truly thought I had turned it off. As I have gotten used to the camera, It is second nature now to check.

11-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think there is "weight" inside which will rotate when you rotate the camera. My K-7 does that; when you use the camera in vertical position, the LCD display is also in vertical position. There is an electronic level.
11-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Just picked up my K5 this afternoon. And as with my other Pentaxes I can feel 'it' moving, specifically when switching to portrait mode. I'm quite deaf so I hardly hear it.

It has never worried me, by the way.
11-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Every new Pentax user freaks out when he/she finds stuff moves around in their new DSLR. I myself was not an exception with K10D when I first got it.

Its OK.

11-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #23
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Every new Pentax user freaks out when he/she finds stuff moves around in their new DSLR. I myself was not an exception with K10D when I first got it.

Its OK.
Just think how many more queries from new K10 owners there would have been if the anti-dust on power up had been set to on as the factory default.
11-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #24

Original Poster
THANK YOU EVERYONE! You have assuaged my fears... I can now, without reservation, proudly consider myself still within the ranks of the Pentax ilk.

I have just returned from a morning shooting session here on the Oregon Coast (see photo) and eagerly went through my shots to see if I could notice any ill effects of the "Pentax Thud, Rattle and Clunk.

Happily, I can report that indeed I am foolish and should have checked the forum more thoroughly, perhaps searching for this issue in other cameras (I just searched specifically for the K5).

I did however check the manual after discovering the "problem" and all it says about the SR, is that, "The camera may generate some operating noise when shaken"... it is actually more like operating racket in my opinion, noisier even than my Kx... and it really did not become noticeable until after several days of shooting. I am wondering if maybe I had to break it in and loosen it up a little before it actually started moving around as much as it is designed to... it really does sound like a loose part rattling around inside, hell I could even entertain a baby with it. If I had checked the K5 out at camera shop, I would have been skeptical when the salesperson told me that it was, "normal".

SO, I am glad I have you lot out there to tell me in great numbers, that there is nothing to be concerned about.

I do agree with one of the replies that it could be helpful, to those of us that never read manuals that is, if there was a sticker on the camera when you got it out of the box, that in bold lettering said, "DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY, YOUR CAMERA IS NOT BROKEN".

Thanks Again for all the replies. And, I promise in the future to search the posts more diligently before posting in a panic, normally I am not like that, but when you just spent 1600 bucks... well you know.

Happy Shootin' n Rattlin' All!
Attached Images

11-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by oddshot Quote
Ok... just found a couple posts about K7's with loose parts, but I am having a hard time believing the sounds I am hearing are normal, especially since it hasn't noticeable until today and then there is the awful grinding sound when in live view. My Kx does make a slight sound, but nothing like the K5 which actually goes 'clunk'. I would think, as with the sound of the shutter release, that if anything, the K5 should be quieter in all respects.

I was going to attach a video taken with my Kx, but I don't have a program to make it small enough to upload, perhaps later.

For now am prepared to be stupid here and learn from you more experienced Pentaxians that these sounds are normal, and if so, GREAT! I don't have to send the camera back and can keep enjoying taking pictures.

Thanks again for any input! And please forgive this newbie if all of you have cameras with loose innards that go CLUNK!
That grinding sound is the sr system in action. Sounds like your k-5 is perfectly normal!
11-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Just picked up my K5 this afternoon. And as with my other Pentaxes I can feel 'it' moving, specifically when switching to portrait mode. I'm quite deaf so I hardly hear it.

It has never worried me, by the way.
HAHA

I'm reminded of a old mechanic's joke where a women's car was making some pretty nasty engine sounds. And when the mechanic asked what she had done to address the issue prior to her visit. She said "I turned on the radio"
11-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #27

and it really did not become noticeable until after several days of shooting.
Wouldn't the rattling noise only occur when the camera is not on? When the camera is on, the SR is powered up, even if it is deactivated. This will stop the sensor from moving when the camera is on. Of course then you get the slight noise of the SR when it is powered up...

This may explain why the noise only became noticeable after a few days: For the first few days you rarely had the camera turned off!!!!
11-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
HAHA

I'm reminded of a old mechanic's joke where a women's car was making some pretty nasty engine sounds. And when the mechanic asked what she had done to address the issue prior to her visit. She said "I turned on the radio"
This is like I am asked once to check a girls windshield vipers to find out if it's so noisy as she described. they were, when running them dry.
11-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I first got my K7, others had posted about the "loose parts" inside, and mine didn't make any noise at all, but as I used it, the noise did start, I guess the parts had to get settled into place. If you didn't notice the noise at first, and now it's there, it's probably completely normal as others have mentioned.
11-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone else out there had any parts come loose suddenly? Perhaps in a K7 if not a K5? (same body right?)
It might be a strap post nut that has come loose and rattling inside.

From https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/120616-neck-strap-...-my-k-7-a.html: