Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First Impressions Moving from K10D to K5

As a K10D owner, I have been looking forward to upgrading to the K-5. I bought one this week. Following are first impressions of using the K-5 after my first outing with it.

1. It took too long to charge the battery. After I attached the strap, lens and card, I had to wait before I could play with it.
2. In outdoor shooting with matrix metering, I found it slightly overexposes the high lights under some conditions (for example direct light hitting a white object in the picture). I suspect if I set the EV to -.50 or -.66 the issue will be resolved. I have since turned on the blinkies (exposure warning). The K-5 metering seems to give more consistent results than the K10D.
3. Shutter very quiet. The shutter will no longer be scaring animals when I take a picture!
4. Very little "hunting" for focus - seems to get it right the first time.
5. Changing the focus point is very easy - I found I was changing it from shot to shot. Seemed so much easier than with the K10D
6. ISO button makes it a lot easier to change the ISO, also I was not afraid to go over ISO 200
7. So far AWB seems to handle most outdoor shooting, so I won’t have to change it as much as I did with the K10D
8. I found setting the white balance a little tricky the first time since I had the auto focus point set to SEL so when I used the 4 way controller (for WB) it moved the focus point. Now that I know how it works, it should be easy, but a suggestion would be to add WB to the Control Panel.
9. I set the electronic level to display in the viewfinder - just have to learn to give it a quick glance before I press the trigger. I shoot in AV mode 90% of the time, but if I decide to use Manual mode I will want to shut off the level so the exposure meter is displayed.
10. The Control Panel is great! I wonder if there could be an option to let the user pick 2 or 3 things that could be added to the Control panel.
11. Seems a little lighter than the K10D, as well is a little smaller but still fits nicely in your hands. No issues using the buttons or getting a good hold on it
12. Overall I found the K-5 very easy to use and the total experience at lot more relaxing that using the K10D. I found I didn’t have to fiddle with settings from picture to picture or get frustrated trying to get focus lock.

11-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

great write up
11-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bobe416 Quote

8. I found setting the white balance a little tricky the first time since I had the auto focus point set to SEL so when I used the 4 way controller (for WB) it moved the focus point. Now that I know how it works, it should be easy, but a suggestion would be to add WB to the Control Panel.

10. The Control Panel is great! I wonder if there could be an option to let the user pick 2 or 3 things that could be added to the Control panel.
For K-5 suggestions, please see this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/121377-k-5-firmware-suggestions.html
11-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Bobe416, nice that you can share... since I have the K-7 and the K10D, I find the K-7 experience similar to yours, except of course, the AF speed and high iso IQ. I am convinced that k-5 is a lot more camera than the k-7, which makes me wanting to get the k-5 at some point in the future. May I ask if you get the k-5 locally or from other retailers within Canada?

11-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As a K10D owner, I have been looking forward to upgrading to the K-5. I bought one this week. Following are first impressions of using the K-5 after my first outing with it.

1. It took too long to charge the battery. After I attached the strap, lens and card, I had to wait before I could play with it.
You'll find this is reflected in the battery lasting forever. The K-7/K-5 has some of the best battery life I've ever seen in a dSLR.
11-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Bobe416, nice that you can share... since I have the K-7 and the K10D, I find the K-7 experience similar to yours, except of course, the AF speed and high iso IQ. I am convinced that k-5 is a lot more camera than the k-7, which makes me wanting to get the k-5 at some point in the future. May I ask if you get the k-5 locally or from other retailers within Canada?
Hi aleonx3, I got the K-5 from Henry's - they did a price match on a Vancouver store Dunne&Rundle
11-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have charged the battery 3 or 4 times so far and the shutter count is less than 3,500. I will soon sell my K-7 cheap and buy K-5.

11-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi aleonx3, I got the K-5 from Henry's - they did a price match on a Vancouver store Dunne&Rundle

That's really nice.. I thought Henry's are picky (and often reluctant) to price match with any retailers. So, Dunne & Rundle is a legit authorized Pentax retailer.
11-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

6. ISO button makes it a lot easier to change the ISO, also I was not afraid to go over ISO 200
You know, the K10 has an ISO-button too. It may say "OK" on it, but it works much the same. (Added in some firmware update, I don't remember which one.)
11-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

wow Dunn and Rundle have good pricing
BH photo is 1599 as is henrys
D&R are 1428.99 + 24.95 shipping

thanks for the tip as I am starting to look (for the same upgrade though I may settle for the KR and their price on that is pretty hot as well