Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 professional review: initial comments

If you missed the homepage post, I'd like to remind everyone that the K-5 professional review is set to be posted on the 21st (next Sunday)

It's probably obvious that I'll be one of the people working on the review. What I wanted to share with you are initial remarks about the first (exciting) test I've started doing: the high-ISO NR test. I took a series of test shots, under controlled conditions, varying the NR level at every ISO from 100 to 51200 in 1-ISO stop intervals, also including ISO 80.

The focus of this test is to show how well the in-camera NR system works. Is any detail lost when the setting is set to 'high'? Is the difference between 'off' and 'high' significant? Is auto mode recommended? You'll have to wait until the actual review to see the specifics and conclusions, but so far, I must say that the results have been quite favorable!

(Disclaimer: these are my personal thoughts, not yet fully backed through tests)
It seems that with NR set to auto, I could hardly tell a difference between the photos shot from ISO 80 to 3200 when viewed in a "fit-to-screen" window on my PC. That's quite remarkable, I'd say!

At ISO 51200, having NR off seemed like the best way to go, as while there was a bit more noise, the increase in detail/sharpness was must more significant compared to the "NR High" shots.

----

Here's the overall structure of the review:

Overview
Introduction
General remarks
What's new since the K-7 (comprehensive list)
What's exciting (event if previous bodies featured it)
What's in the box
Photos of external controls and useful features
Brief discussion of movie mode

Beginner walkthrough:
Getting started
Screenshots
Recommended settings

In-depth tests under controlled conditions

AF speed
AF accuracy
K-5 vs K-7 high-ISO IQ
K-5 vs K-7 AF performance
Noise-reduction: auto, low, high, off
Slow SS noise-reduction: on, off

Sample "everyday" photos
Dynamic range examples
Expanded dynamic range examples
In-camera HDR examples
General high-iso photos
Full-size RAW downloads

Conclusion
Final remarks

Stay tuned, and I hope you're as excited as I am about this!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2010, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adam:

Wow! I am impressed with the set up for the testing.

Regarding the AF tests: will you for sure conduct a series of tests for moving subjects toward/away from the camera and under poor lighting conditions as well?

We already know that the K5 will produce excellent results at high ISO, with properly exposed shots but it could be a whole different matter when it comes to producing decent "AF" shots under light conditions I've just mentioned.

One suggestion: there has been some concerns with the K5/flash use. Will you also consider exploring this as well?

Thanks for the update!

Cheers.

JP
11-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
One suggestion: there has been some concerns with the K5/flash use. Will you also consider exploring this as well?
We'll certainly include it. I'm not sure how easy it would be to test, however, as what little work I've done with flash so far has been quite successful.

For the sake of consistency, the actual AF tests won't focus on moving subjects, as we'll want to get controlled results with a AF response time accurate down to fractions of a second. However, we'll certainly do an informal analysis of this!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I am also curious about in body image stability efficiency (if possible also icw level correction).
- The K-7 and K-5 control vibration in 3 dimensions: Horizontal, Vertical and Rotation
- The K-x, K-r only Horizontal and Vertical

High ISO performance in Low-light conditions with tri-pod is IMHO not typical usage. If I take my camera to a party / bar and want to make a candid picture without flash then it is going to be hand-hold and shutter time / vibration reduction is impacting same fading iso noise.
- But guess it is difficult to test (accurately on short term)

For me, besides WR, dual dail, this might be a main reason to upgrade (in the far future - so no hurry, just technical interest).

11-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We'll certainly include it. I'm not sure how easy it would be to test, however, as what little work I've done with flash so far has been quite successful.

For the sake of consistency, the actual AF tests won't focus on moving subjects, as we'll want to get controlled results with a AF response time accurate down to fractions of a second. However, we'll certainly do an informal analysis of this!
Thanks for the reply, Adam.

Of course, we are not expecting a full fledged scientific test on the use of flash and the K5. However, I am wondering if there is a way to find out if this is an isolated issue only for a few camera bodies or is it a needed firmware fix.
I suppose time will tell as more and more people are acquiring, and using the K5 will certainly become second nature to many.
Surely, if a real problem exists, we soon will be aware of it via this forum.

As for the AF testing, I have no doubt that you will carry some "real"tests on that but I am just wondering how one would assess AF-C without anything moving in front of the camera.
A static subject is not really the best subject for AF-C tests, especially if one uses focus priority option.
But that's just me thinking that way, I'll look forward to reading your reviews when they become available.

Cheers!

JP
11-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #6

I just hope that the outcome is overwelming as that I have to order the K5 and lenses. I will be willing to trade my daughter for one
11-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It would be nice if you could do some sort of controlled moving subject AF test, as difficult as that may sound. AF-C performance needs to be quantizable in some way before it can get better...I don't expect Canikon high end AF lock of a football player running in and out of other players, but there has to be something that can be done to do controlled testing...

11-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I stop looking at all test , the camera look good and is the nest Pentax that exist now in APS-C. I will enjoy my camera when you are still debating if this is ok or not . That camera is very good with everything i saw up to now

Bye for now,
11-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Seeing that there's such a large interest for moving subject AFC, we'll include a test for that. I've got a "patented" way of measuring AF speed, too

Adam

11-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Adam,

Are you going to give us fellow Jpeg shooters your deep dark setting secrets?

Thanks as always,
Ray
11-13-2010, 05:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Adam,

Are you going to give us fellow Jpeg shooters your deep dark setting secrets?

Thanks as always,
Ray
In case you have forgotten, just a reference back to a post from another thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1245111-post6.html
11-13-2010, 05:26 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Clark Quote
I will be willing to trade my daughter for one
If she's a teenager, no deal!

Cheers...
11-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
i would like to see some of this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/122316-k5-video-recording-questions.html
11-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I hope the "everyday photos" is the largest part of the review since I believe that is what interests most people
11-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
Hmmm, let me guess....

Adam, you have some insider information on the release date of the new Firmware?