Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #1

Weird K5 jpeg saving problem

Dear all,

I just received my K5 - pretty happy with it. Until today, when I went for a paragliding shootout.

Basically I've shot more that 800 pics - in the manner - shoot- review last- shoot again. During a break, I wanted to review all the shots - but surprise - there were actually saved only the first 499 shots - the other were lost (.

I've checked that - and indeed, the last shot wasn't saved - despite the fact that-
a. removed card, inserted card
b. removed battery, inserted battery
c. deleted some pics - took some shots - they were not saved as well
Unfortunately, I've left the spare card in the K7 and the show was almost over

There were 2 subfolders in the DCIM folder- one had the 499 shots, the other one was empty. Grand total space occupied ~ 5 gb.

The card is a Transcend 16 gb class 10, never happend something similar with the K7. Perhaps, if I'll have the time tomorrow I'll see if I can reproduce this behaviour...

Any ideeas?
Kind regards,
Tudor

ps: anyway, enjoy one of the saved pics ...;-)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you inadvertently take the images in the digital preview mode? That shows the image to you but does not save it. Other than that, I cannot think of anything else that would cause the problem.
11-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try any one of the PC utilities to look for and restore deleted pics from SD cards. Just to see if anything show besides what you manually deleted.

I have the same Transcend card but have not used it in the K-5. Think I might do before my next trip just in case you discovered some weird incompatibily, most likely not but can't hurt to shoot he cat a couple thousand times. What settings were you using? jpg, dng, pef? Drive mode?

Back to the empty folder, is it numbered such that it was created before or after the folder that has 499 pics? Would all the missing ones have been in the empty folder?

Paragliding while operating a K-5...you have talent! What an opportunity for unique shots.

---------- Post added 11-14-10 at 11:39 PM ----------

As promised, and for my own peace of mind, I used a K-5 and Trancend 16GB Class 10 card with a battery already weak. With two folders on the card, I let shoot continuosly until the camera did a normal shutdown from dead battery. turned it back on and it switched to the Body battery. No pics were missing of the 390 taken tonight. So at least it does not seem a systemic issue with the K-5 and the Transcend sdhc in question.

Last edited by imtheguy; 11-14-2010 at 01:57 PM.
11-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hello,

thanks for your kind responses. Unfortunately...I think I accidentaly switched to digital preview mode, or else I simply can't explain what happend.
I tried to reproduce the behaviour last night when I fired about 550 shots - unfortunately they were all there...:-)

Kind regards,
Tudor

11-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Forum Member

I don't think it could have been digital preview since you take a digital preview by rotating the on/off switch, NOT by pressing the shutter release.

It really sounds like a card problem. Too bad you didn't have a spare card. I always recommend to stop using the card as soon as you discover any inconsistency like this. If you stop before your images are overwritten you can often recover them all.

Did you have a camera crash or did anything unusual happen which could have lead to corrupted data on the card?

- Phil
11-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Phil,

well...just trying to get an explanation :-)...I certainly remember I've played with the preview knob. As far as I remember nothing unusual happend...1300m altitude, windy weather...

But, it's a weird coincidence that the counter stopped at 499 shots. Why didn't it stopped at 451 or 632 ...or even better...956(
Anyway, the whole thing is very fishy...

Thanks,
Tudor
11-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
I would like to see the bottom of this. If it's a bug it needs fixing.

11-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Someone else is having other problems with the same card:

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Repeatable results. Today with a low, maybe down to 1/4 according to the icon, clone battery and the Transcend 16GB Class 10 card with no Grip attached, it locked in the middle of tracking and burst shooting a critter walking towards me in AF-C mode. Knowing what it was and with no Grip, it was a matter of 5-10 seconds to recover, losing the last 3 frames. 5 minutes later it locked a second time under similar circumstances. Although I have seen reports of the lockup with original Pentax Li-90 it has not happened to me so I have one more lockup I need to see in order to properly write up a report for Pentax to ignore.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/122500-i-hung-my-k-5-a.html#post1266176