Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upgrade K20 to K5 ?

Ok when the K5 first came out I expressed some negative views as my heart and mind was set on a full frame Pentax offering. However I am facing a large slice of humble pie as this camera seems to be a much bigger upgrade option than I first thought. As a landscape photographer the K5's DR and IQ would more than likely provide plenty of PP and printing headroom. And of course for less money than comparable FF systems.
So was wanting to hear from any K20 owners who have upgraded to the K5. Impressions, examples, major differences between the two etc etc.
I would still like a full frame but that's not likely to happen in the near future, due to financial restrictions, so the K5 could be a very good interim fix.

11-15-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Like you I was waiting for an FF to appear. An event I now consider unlikely and with the advent of the K-5 now probably irrelevant. My K-5 is due via Vanbars tomorrow and the K20D will revert to a backup camera. My main reasons for the purchase ($1595) were ISO and AF plus a number of other lesser improvements. Post K-7 I intended to buy another K20D and leave it at that. However, the sample images, particularly high ISO, of the K-5 led me to drag out the credit card and pre-order a the beast.

A FF body would be nice to give me original FOV for the three FA limited lens but now it's come down to a case of so what? I can't imagine needing to produce printed product, that would benefit from a FF format, beyond that of the K-5. In any case at age 70 after 55 years of photography I think the K-5 will be a nice time to jump off the catchup bandwagon.

That of course doesn't preclude future LBA events

I hope this ramble helps,

David
11-15-2010, 03:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, I've been the whole road from K10 to K5, including K20, K7 and Kx...

You're in for a big change, going from K20 to K5. Everything is better, right down to metering and AF.

Only gripe I have is with the ergonomics. K20 was better in my hand, controls were placed in a more logical way for my mind.
To please those dumb reviewers that were unable to read the manual, Pentax had to add the ISO button on the K7, but then removed the Fn button, taking the now unused Ok button instead.
This means that you couldn't at first center your focus point by pressing OK, and "Fn menu" and AF point selection are kind of hard to differentiate.
It was changed on the K5, and now you can do a short press to center the focus point, or a long one to switch to Fn menu mode.
11-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is more than an incremental upgrade. The K-5 sensor blows every other sensor Pentax has used out of the water. I find the ergonomics OK although the smaller distances between buttons will mean that it will be a tougher chore to get the fingers on the right buttons with winter mittens on. Try it once and there is no looking back.

Jack

11-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #5

I went from K20D to K5, and to me, the K5 is worth every penny. The AF is much better, the low light is better, the high ISO is better. Everything is better. I am very very impressed with this camera. I take a lot of hockey shots of my kids teams, and I went from a 25% keeper rate, to 75%+ keeper rate. The photo's are now in focus-combination of being able to use higher ISO and much better AF-C. So now I can actually choose from the best shots and set ups, as opposed to choosing from the ones that are actually in focus. I am LOVING IT! Just my opinion! :-)
11-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
So now I can actually choose from the best shots and set ups, as opposed to choosing from the ones that are actually in focus. I am LOVING IT! Just my opinion! :-)
Stop it. Stop it. Stop it!!

My K20D is still perfectly adequate for "cow portraiture" (or other slow-moving mammals in bright sunlight)...
11-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #7

I've had the K5 for three days now and have my K20D right next to it......The K5 is simply amazing. Ultra quiet....I was like.."wow" when I first press the shutter...still can't believe it's so quiet!. The high ISO is impressive....I used to be just a daylight shooter....but man....this just opened another door for me. I wanted to shoot indoor sports at night, but with the K20D it was a little difficult. I can't wait to try the K5 there!
I'm an aerial photographer and I'm sure the K5 but be a great tool for this!
It's a giant leap...from the K20D to the K5. I paid premium price but I don't regret it. It's so worth it.

cheers

11-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
I used to be just a daylight shooter....but man....this just opened another door for me
... Yesss !
Suppose to be the playing field of the big 2 (C N) but oh! boy. Imagine this shooter (w/o tripod) is always present at the dinner time but since the K-5 , he always comes back past curfew hours.
My K-20D still do my controlled lighting shots and seldomly leaves the the house and for me the availability of those quicky things wrapped in K-5 gives you the confident to expose those beautiful subjects, sceneries from dusk till dawn.

...buaobao
11-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #9

I have upgraded from K20 to K5 and can vouch for everything that people above have said. I have had the camera for 2 weeks and still can't get over the fact that it is so quiet - someone said (and I agree) that it is like 'butter'!
Below is a shot of my son, I took last evening. with ISO of 1250, there is absolutely no noise that one can see. Also I have not used any noise reduction.

I suggest, GO FOR IT.
Cheers
11-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Maybe...

it appears ALOT of detail is lost mainly on the red channel compared to the K20D - due to RAW noise reduction? - take a look at IR and compare the 2 and you will easily see. especially 1600 vs 1600 on both cameras.

Kinda sad about that, maybe they will fix. I mean isn't RAW supposed to but completely non-processed?
11-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seeing as how it is so easy to blow the red channel in the K20 with the Samsung sensor, this is probably just an indication of a better balanced Exmor sensor in the K-5. And all my histograms indicate this is the case., I doubt much detail in the reds has been lost, though. Will try a few tests to be sure.
11-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, it all sounds very convincing. Now should I sell my K20 or keep it as a backup.....
Mmmm need some new lenses so selling might be the way I have to go. Should be ablt to sell it for enough to buy a DA 15mm LTD. Will try to get my grubby little hands on a K5 when I get up to the city next.
11-16-2010, 03:14 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having had the K-5 for eight hours, including four hours battery charge, all I can say is yes to all of the above. The K-5 is another level of photographic technology above the K20D.

David