Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobby_navy Quote
I'm not a writer. If i wanted to be a writer i wouldn't have spent 1500 on a camera intended for taking photos not writing . I would've spent it on a computer, or the latest Microsoft office. This is a free forum. You did not spend any money so there for you don't have to try to get your moneys worth by reading every forum post. If you do not like what i have to say or how i say it then please do not read it. Now as far as my photos are concerned you are more than welcomed to provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism here.
What was offered IS constructive criticism. No need to get upset. Your second post was easy to read, your first was not and like many, I stopped reading after the first line. Not only does the proper punctuation make posts easier to read, it also helps the reader understand clearly what it is you are saying.

11-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Constructive criticism: I would never ever read a post like the OP
11-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very well said, imtheguy! When I first attempted to read the OP, it seemed like a 13 year old was writing it I think it's awesome that you want to share your experience with us, but please consider the audience you are trying to reach. Taking a little more time and effort when asking a question or providing feedback will reap greater rewards. Writing a stream of consciousness, no punctuation post is going to result in no one reading/understanding/sharing your thoughts.

Anyway, I think the poor guy has had enough Welcome to the best camera forum I've ever read. The knowledge you will gain here is truly unmatched anywhere else on the 'net.
11-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Wow ... tough crowd. The original post is probably one the finest examples of the "sentagraph" I've seen on any forum anywhere

Oh, and to the OP: grats on your K-5; I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

11-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

To the OP

Bobby... first welcome to the forum... secondly in case you are not aware to cut out all this negativity about your first post...

you can go back and edit.

Cheers

Neil
11-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Have you tried Nik's Color Efex Pro? It has a Film Grain filter that gives one a great deal of control and produces what I consider to be very nice looking grain.

Rob
Even better is Silver FX pro. Although only B&W is is one of my fav's up there with Color FX pro

Cheers
Roger
11-18-2010, 03:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i have to point something out to the op: when i first started frequenting internet "communications" channels (at that time a technical irc channel, populated by very capable and helpful people), i was bashed for not using spaces after punctuation (in the first 5 minutes or so). i was,you see,writing much in this way,nice space saving,eh? i felt angry and abused. some guy explained to me in private why it actually matters, i felt even more angry. i went back and tried to read what i had written. i started to calm down and thanked the guy. people here are just trying to help, trust me, they are right: it does matter, they are not "just being mean"

welcome, and have fun

11-18-2010, 04:57 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been looking at the difference between the K7 and the K5 relative to noise and ISO setting....the more I see of professional reviewers and controlled tests...Im now convinced that he K5 is only 1 to 1.5 stops better than the K7 in controlling the levels of noise in Raw

anything over 6400 on the K7 and 12800 on the K5 im really not interested in due to unacceptable noise in both for my tastes
Eg

ISO 100 in a K7 is the equal to ISO 200 on a K5..or perhaps a tad better etc etc ....Dr is better as is IQ...but not so much as I would have thought ...please check out this site and let me know what you think.

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

other than the better AF...Im not so sure now I want to sell my K7 just for the little improvements that the K5 has over it...I really want the new sigma 70-200 OS lens..so I might pass on the K5 and spend the loot on a sharper lens ?

until my local shop has one for me to Test with my own lenses Im gonna hold off...so Ive withdrawn my K7 from the marketplace
11-18-2010, 05:04 AM   #24

It is clear you very really excited by the new camera, and thanks for sharing your experiences. I quite enjoyed reading how you had to keep going up and up the hill of ISO. I wondered whether you would ever find enough noise.

Thanks also for the James Joyce stream-of-camera consciousness style of writing (He wrote a book with fewer full stops than most books, called Ulysses). Don't forget to take a breath, take your time and enjoy participating on this excellent forum (there are very knowledgeable people here, and some have a wicked sense of humor I might add.) And please give yourself the time add some lovely spaces in your text.

Thanks for the link to Flickr, the boots shot is intriguing to look at, and that's always a good sign! Am envious of your K5!

QuoteOriginally posted by bobby_navy Quote
just got my new k-5 couldnt wait to take some pix so just dropped in the battery tossed on my pentax smc 50mm f1.4 A lens and started snapping away i was going for a old grainy black and white look so i had to up the iso im a previous k-7 owner normally to get this look all i had to do was up the iso to 800 but on the k-5 i was shock to find out i couldnt use iso 800 because it was way too sharp so i upped it to 1600 what still too sharp so i was like lets go for break and shoot iso 12800 and to my utter disbelief there just wanst enough noise so i had to use the extended iso mode and shoot at iso 25600 to get the grain i needed now granted the room was brightly lit to get those shadows i need but this pic is still beautiful at such a high iso no additional noise reduction was used and post processing done in photoshop were just color filters added for contrast and a slight change in exposure because of the high iso it was a lil bright to get the contrasts i wanted.... now i did have a few issues that werent major first was the autofocus sometimes the camera wont comunicate with the lens at all and it thinks its a m lens so it wont autofocus at all and then it asks you to imput the focal lenght and at other times the screw drive dosent seem to line up properly and will just free spin when it trys to autofocus but a quick remount of the lens usually fixes that now the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that it wont autofucus with my fa 80-320mm idk if the lens broke wich i doubt because it did work with my k-7 perfectly but manual focus works ok although it is really hard to focus it hand held at the long end lol good thing its not a lens i use often. hmmm im new to these forums and i dont like the 1.5 mb restrictions here so ill just post a link to my flicker and you can view the full sized photos there real working boots | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
military working boots | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
11-18-2010, 06:53 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote

Thanks also for the James Joyce stream-of-camera consciousness style of writing (He wrote a book with fewer full stops than most books, called Ulysses). Don't forget to take a breath, take your time and enjoy participating on this excellent forum (there are very knowledgeable people here, and some have a wicked sense of humor I might add.) And please give yourself the time add some lovely spaces in your text.

!
I was thinking more ee cummings myself.
11-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #26

Funny, I was thinking Faulkner! Too much capitalization for ee cummings
11-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:

Thanks also for the James Joyce stream-of-camera consciousness style of writing (He wrote a book with fewer full stops than most books, called Ulysses).
22 pages between periods.
11-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DJEZRAJ Quote
Even better is Silver FX pro. Although only B&W is is one of my fav's up there with Color FX pro

Cheers
Roger
Yeah, I use the entire Nik Suite (excluding HDR Efex Pro,) and they are all very good, although Topaz DeNoise 5 now surpasses Dfine at NR. I was suggesting Color Efex Pro, because you can add digital grain to color or B&W. Silver Efex Pro is a superb B&W converter.

Rob