Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #1

Thinking about Jumping Camps

Hey guys,
I am a Canon users. I used to have Canon XSi that I just recently sold. I used the Canon 24-105 f/4L and 70-200 f/4L IS with that camera. I was thinking about getting the Refurbished Canon 7D, which can be had for about $1100, but now I am thinking maybe Pentax K-5 might be a better option. I am not a professional or anything like that, I just shot family pictures and take pictures when I go on vacations.

First would you recommend K-5 and if yes, what lens would you pair it with. Most of the time on a Canon body I used 24-105 because of its range of motion.

I have already read what this camera is capable of but jumping camps is hard.

11-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thinking of jumping camps?

Come into the light.................. come into the light...........

welcome to the forum.
11-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Jumping camps is hard when you already own two L lenses. Bodies come and go but lenses are on a much slower release cycle.

Short answer: if you really like your existing zooms including the quality, size & weight, speed (f4) and the focal length range, then I’d advise you to buy that refurbished 7D and stay in the Canon camp.

The Pentax lens range is all about high quality compact primes, and zooms with focal length ranges that suit APS-C cameras. As a result the lenses are smaller and lighter. Weather resistant lenses (and cameras) are also at a lower price point than Canon or Nikon. If this appeals to you then Pentax might be for you.

Pentax do not try and mirror the lens offerings of Canon and Nikon, they offer something very different. If you are just after a "like for like" swap of your canon lenses then I'm afraid you are wasting your time. If you want "a change" then you've come to the right place

Last edited by twitch; 11-17-2010 at 05:40 PM.
11-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #4

QuoteQuote:
I am not a professional or anything like that, I just shot family pictures and take pictures when I go on vacations.

First would you recommend K-5 and if yes, what lens would you pair it with. Most of the time on a Canon body I used 24-105 because of its range of motion.
Same boat as far as what I do with my camera. I have a few lenses, an 18-55, a 50-200, a 24, and a 50 are all part of my core set. I probably use the 50-200 the least but only because I have a newborn and most of my shots are indoors.

That said, speaking without the context of switching from a different manufacturer, if I had to trade it all in for one lens, I would probably go with the SMC Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF]

Here's my most amature opinion as to why: it's versatile in range without having to change over lenses all of the time. You can sit and think about the how it's less sharp than a prime all you want, and if that's what your doing you probably should get a prime. I'm just saying if I was only allowed to pick one lens, and only one, I would want one with the largest range and thus suitable for most occasions.

Last time I was out hiking I switched between my 18-55 and 50-200 maybe 8 times within an hour period. Also family, I would guess, probably doesn't want to sit around and wait for you to change over your lens either; if you're not taking candids that is.

11-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #5

in terms of lens - the new 18-135mm might suit - seen afew test shots on the forums here with it and looks to be an excelent performer, and is weather sealed too

alternatively the

16-50mm & 60-250mm would give you nice comprehensive range
11-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be very surprised if the upcoming 18-135 could compete with the Canon 24-105 f/4L. I don't think we're talking apples to apples there.
11-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thashef Quote
Hey guys,
I am a Canon users. I used to have Canon XSi that I just recently sold. I used the Canon 24-105 f/4L and 70-200 f/4L IS with that camera. I was thinking about getting the Refurbished Canon 7D, which can be had for about $1100, but now I am thinking maybe Pentax K-5 might be a better option. I am not a professional or anything like that, I just shot family pictures and take pictures when I go on vacations.

I have already read what this camera is capable of but jumping camps is hard.
I can recommend the K-5 in general, as it is a great camera. However, I'd like to know more about why you're interested in switching to Pentax. You've already got some good Canon lenses that would fit well with the Canon 7D or even the cheaper Canon 60D. Are there any Pentax lenses that you are interested in?

11-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #8

maybe not but more convienent and the results do look good and if you want the premium quality then go for 2 lenses instead
11-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice to see a thread like this where the OP is thinking about jumping TO Pentax vs AWAY from Pentax.
11-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Nice to see a thread like this where the OP is thinking about jumping TO Pentax vs AWAY from Pentax.
The K-5 has caused this, I've seen a few postings around like this one. The irony is that it's a manufacturers lens lineup that should be the key factor in switching, but it always seems to be the bodies people hear of that makes them want to jump ship.
11-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #11

Original Poster
I guess if I had to say why I am thinking about switching the only reason I can think of is that Canon 7D is good, but it seems like Pentax beats out Canon 7D from what I have read, I could be wrong. Also Canon lenses are really expensive and if I really wanted to get any other lenses for Canon I always have to think about L series lens. Once you get spoiled by it then its hard to switch to regular Canon lenses.

The camera I really want is the 5DM2, but I can't afford it so thats pretty much of out of question. I could sell the 24-105 and 70-200 and recoup all the money I spent on it, so from that perspective switching is not that hard, the bigger question is going to be am I going to like Pentax or not.

I would say 18-250 sounds like a good option, but not sure how its going to compare to my Canon lenses.
11-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
Raylon

With those two lenses, I would be hard pressed to come to Pentax...The 7D and K-5 will produce, real-world wise, very similar pictures. Also going through CLP you can save quite a bit over the K-5.

In reality why do you want to switch to Pentax? Normally it's for the small ergonomics or lenses. What do you want?
11-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Too big for casual use.
11-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
Too big for casual use.
That's your opinion. I would gladly carry that around.
11-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
What are nuts Don't do it man!!! You will regret it as I did!!! In the end I returned to Canon. Heres a pic to make you change your mind. Pentax will NEVER match this set up, NEVER!!!
So what are you doing here? There are other photo forums you know!