Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 04:32 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
More than 90% of the time I shoot Av (and use the front wheel to control ISO, that's so much cooler than having to switch film in my LX where I also used the equivalent of Av most of the time ), but when I want to ensure fast enough shutter speed I always end up using Tav instead of Hyper-program. Since HyperProgram is supposed to be such a cool Pentax feature (and more so now that it's working better) - can you enlighten me about what I'm missing by using Tav instead...?
I would not use HyP instead of TAv in this case, but i might use "normal" P-mode instead. Then it might be possible to configure program-line and auto-ISO to make the camera automatically select the shutter speed you want to use.

For fast shutter speed if would set up P-mode with sport program-line for the camera to select fast shutter speeds. If then combining it with auto-ISO set to "fast" the camera will select shutter speed of 1/1000s or faster (and with program-shift you control aperture). If using "normal" auto-ISO the camera will select shutter speed of 1/500 - 1/1000s, and if using "slow" auto-ISO the camera will select shutter speed of 1/250 - 1/500s.

11-19-2010, 05:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
rparmar: you don't know, and that's the way it's meant to be: you set auto iso, and turned the av dial, you also set the limits for acceptable iso, so what's the problem?
No problem except my lack of understanding, which I hopefully made clear.

So, is there a mode that lets you go from Av control to Tv control while keeping the ISO constant? That would be a lot more useful, IMO. But even still I would likely stick with Av or M.
11-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
So, is there a mode that lets you go from Av control to Tv control while keeping the ISO constant?
HyperProgram!! :-)
11-19-2010, 06:34 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Hmm. I still don't get what the purpose of Hyperprogram is, though
Very simple actually. You switch to Av and Tv without turning the mode dial. I started to use that on the K-7 because turning the dial was a PITA for me with the lock. But as Edvinas described, it was broken for HyperTv. It was related to the ISO range and with the huge range available on the K-5 it was impossible to not notice it.

TAv is also nice but you need to be careful when using it in daylight because the camera may not be able to lower the ISO enough and you get overexposure. I have this problem from time to time when I'm using it indoor and forget to switch back to Av/P when going outside.

And I think HyperProgram is really a neat idea. Combined with the green button you get the automation when you just need that but you can switch instantly to control (Av/Tv) when the situation requires it. HyperManual is also another very nice feature. That's where Pentax (should) shine: ergonomics. And it was a shame that the HyperP was broken for so long.

11-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Very simple actually. You switch to Av and Tv without turning the mode dial. I started to use that on the K-7 because turning the dial was a PITA for me with the lock.
Thanks for the explanation!

I guess it's just that after all those years shooting Av - and with my photography preferences (not so much action) - I still see very limited value in Tv mode

QuoteQuote:
TAv is also nice but you need to be careful when using it in daylight because the camera may not be able to lower the ISO enough and you get overexposure. I have this problem from time to time when I'm using it indoor and forget to switch back to Av/P when going outside.
Sure, but I typically only use it in limited light (if there's enough light that I might end up with 1/4000 sec. I always stay with Av mode anyway).

(Anyway - I try to remember to switch the camera to Av and ISO 100 every time I turn it off - it's not fun to discover that you've just ruined some wonderful daylight shots by using ISO 1600 on the K10D )

QuoteQuote:
HyperManual is also another very nice feature.
HyperManual is cool - more to my taste. But I understand that HyperProgram is useful to other photographers, especially those that like to use program mode most of the time, but would like to be able to immediately override the automation whenever they need to.
11-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Holy cow!

This means that I have been missing on a lot of features ever since I got my K20D, then the K7.
I've never used anything but: M, Av, TAv, and Tv modes!!

For my purposes, which is 90% of the time, I "shoot" wildlife and some landscape.
The remainder of the time, I use M for portrait.

To be honest, I haven't a clue on anything P or HyperP or HyperM!
Maybe I should buy a point and shoot?

JP
11-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
To be honest, I haven't a clue on anything P or HyperP or HyperM!
Maybe I should buy a point and shoot?
The thing is that you can configure your Pentax in a lot of ways that suit you. Hyper modes are cool but they of course won't give you great pictures magically.

There is one feature I plan to start using on my K-5 it's the User modes. I never used that on my previous bodies. But I read how some people make good use of it. Sometimes you have to see how a feature is used before deeming it useful for yourself.

11-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Very simple actually. You switch to Av and Tv without turning the mode dial. I started to use that on the K-7 because turning the dial was a PITA for me with the lock. But as Edvinas described, it was broken for HyperTv. It was related to the ISO range and with the huge range available on the K-5 it was impossible to not notice it.

And I think HyperProgram is really a neat idea. Combined with the green button you get the automation when you just need that but you can switch instantly to control (Av/Tv) when the situation requires it. HyperManual is also another very nice feature. That's where Pentax (should) shine: ergonomics. And it was a shame that the HyperP was broken for so long.

This post gives me hypertension
11-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
No problem except my lack of understanding, which I hopefully made clear.

So, is there a mode that lets you go from Av control to Tv control while keeping the ISO constant? That would be a lot more useful, IMO. But even still I would likely stick with Av or M.
mmm, the question was not directed at you, it was part of the argument/"speech". rethorical question, if you will .

as somebody already answered, just use hyper program (so program + control wheels + green button), but disable auto-iso.
11-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The thing is that you can configure your Pentax in a lot of ways that suit you. Hyper modes are cool but they of course won't give you great pictures magically.

There is one feature I plan to start using on my K-5 it's the User modes. I never used that on my previous bodies. But I read how some people make good use of it. Sometimes you have to see how a feature is used before deeming it useful for yourself.
I agree with you for the User mode. This is very handy.

Now, for the Hyper-things, I guess the only way to find out what it is capable of doing is just go and try it for myself.

JP
11-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
HyperProgram!! :-)
All is clear now! This HyperProgram mode interacts with your ISO control setting. What people have been trying to say from the beginning of the thread is that this interaction is now orthogonal. The bug was that HyperProgram was ignoring the ISO setting and doing it's own thing.

Have I got it right finally?
11-21-2010, 02:30 AM   #27
Pentaxian

IIRC, waaaaay back when i tried it, it would work properly when adjusting aperture (so it would adjust Tv then ISO), but when adjusting Tv it wouldn't adjust ISO - or something like that. It didn't do things consistently anyway, so became useless.
11-26-2010, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #28
Forum Member

Well, that's good to hear that the HyperProgram is fixed in K-5