Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #16

anyone could suggest where to buy a decent protector in the UK? thx

11-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I just took the ACMAXX ones of my K7 and now use them on my K5. I think they are very good,because they protect both lcd screens.
11-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
A note of caution, care must be taken when putting it on. The 3M adhesive is very strong and you cannot reposition it without cracking the screen, so you need to get it aligned correctly when putting it on.
What's the point of a screen protector that you can't take off without ruining your camera???
11-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #19

I am using GGS LCD Screen Protector for the K7 on my K5 since the screen is the same size on both cameras. GGS is made of glass and is pretty strong and scratch-resistant. Also very clear so does not make the LCD screen looks bad.

This is the protector I am using now:
http://www.linkdelight.com/vmchk/O7U-GGS-LCD-Screen-Protector-Rigid-Glass-fo...ax-K-7-K7.html

11-22-2010, 04:00 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
Quote Originally posted by creampuff Quote A note of caution, care must be taken when putting it on. The 3M adhesive is very strong and you cannot reposition it without cracking the screen, so you need to get it aligned correctly when putting it on.

What's the point of a screen protector that you can't take off without ruining your camera???

I think that the damage that creampuff refers to is to the GGS screen, not the LCD screen.

The GGS protector is rigid, and any flexing during removal operations is likely to fracture it. The adhesive tape should only make contact with the LCD surround, not the LCD screen itself.

EDIT: Added image

dave

Last edited by dave kitson; 11-22-2010 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Added image.
11-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #21

thanks for the clarification
11-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
I think that the damage that creampuff refers to is to the GGS screen, not the LCD screen.

The GGS protector is rigid, and any flexing during removal operations is likely to fracture it. The adhesive tape should only make contact with the LCD surround, not the LCD screen itself.

EDIT: Added image

dave
Dave,

Thanks for your user comments, while according to the information provided by local seller, there IS a risk that the GGS protector breaks off and the fragments possibly damage the screen if you force it off using your finger nail, this possible incident is simply thanks to its rigitity and the stickiness of the 3M adhesive. Comparing to it, mormal PET protectors-might not be as rigid, but much more flexible and replacable.

The suggested instruction of removing a GGS protector is using a hard thin PVC slice, insert it into any point at the edge of the protector, then move the slice gently along the edge of the screen, since there is actually no adhesive at the center of the protector, it will be thus removed.

Last edited by zuiko; 11-24-2010 at 07:16 PM.
11-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

+1 for the ACMAXX protector - have one for the K7 and just ordered the same one for the K5. IMO, they are the best by far. Currently none are listed on ebay. Picked it up here: ACMAXX LCD Protector - Pentax K-7
12-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for your recommendation of the GGS Screen Protector, Aaronious. I ordered mine from Link Delight ($6.50 and free shipping). It only took 10 days to arrive from China. It went on easily and looks fine.

Bob
12-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #25

Anyone come up with a Zag for the K5?

I have used the Invisible Shield from Zagg on my past two cameras with great success. It is really a great product. I just checked their website, and they don't list a protector for the K7/5. Anyone know of an equivalent size screen from another camera to substitute?

Cheers,
N
12-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #26
Inactive Account

i do not use one, on my nintendo Ds there is one but i've never made any scratch on one of my camera screens..
03-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Any news regarding protection? How are all those LCD without protection? Scrathes?

Thread is old, but it is a perfect time to see some feedback.
03-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biphers Quote
I have used the Invisible Shield from Zagg on my past two cameras with great success. It is really a great product. I just checked their website, and they don't list a protector for the K7/5. Anyone know of an equivalent size screen from another camera to substitute?

Cheers,
N
Amazon.com: SGP PENTAX K-5 Screen Protector Series [Crystal Clear]: Cell Phones & Accessories

The maker/brand is Steinheil. I am using them on both my DSLR's. They make sizes specific to Pentax, but I think that any 3.0" diagonal camera lcd protector will work. I have used the rigid type on other cameras, but wasn't crazy about them for some reason.
03-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #29
Pentaxian

"El cheapo" screen, but handy

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
... So an LCD protector is the first thing I put on before using the camera.
Bonjour,

Ditto ... I'm using a stick-on protector that has a "rule of thirds" grid printed on it. Helps me to think again about my composition, etc. The protector film degrades the LCD view quality, but I only use the LCD for a quick double check of the photo before I download it to the laptop for PP, etc.

Salut, J Frog

PS - The used K-7 that I purchased and later sold had one "large-ish" scratch and many very small micro ones as well ... it wasn't a big deal for me at the time of purchase, but shows how an unprotected screencan receive a lot of "wear and tear" over time ...

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-08-2012 at 12:11 AM.
03-08-2012, 02:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Another vote for the ACMAXX it is amazing and quite cheap.