Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K5 Sensor cleaning

My K5 makes this cleaning sound when I turn it on and also when it awakes from sleep. So far so good.
But I cannot turn it off. When I remove the check for the start action it is still doing it.
Also, when I want to do sensor cleaning manually through the menu, it does not work at all.
I have firmware 1.01.

Anyone?

Last edited by blende8; 11-20-2010 at 12:38 PM.
11-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, just get the wizz sound on power up no matter whether the option is ticked and nothing happens manually selecting dust removal (nice graphic hadn't seen that one before). v1.01
11-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was wrong.
What you hear is not the sensor cleaning.
It is the aperture lever getting into place. Not sure why this is so.
You can see this, when you look into the camera without lens and turn it on.

I have been told that the sensor cleaning is absolutely silent.
11-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Col
Veteran Member

Learn a new Pentax fact each day... I always had anti dust set on start up (unless I was doing a long shoot and didn't want the dust bunnies to move) So I had assumed the start up whirr was the anti dust.

Still It would be nice to have a few menu options which you could play with which had no effect, to keep me entertained on rainy afternoons.

11-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I was wrong.
What you hear is not the sensor cleaning.
It is the aperture lever getting into place. Not sure why this is so.
You can see this, when you look into the camera without lens and turn it on.

I have been told that the sensor cleaning is absolutely silent.
That's the aperture lever setup since the K-7.
Its normal.
11-21-2010, 03:43 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Is this scratching noise caused by the aperture lever really normal i would be really pacified when it is so ?
11-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have been told that it is normal and already so in the K7.
What I still don't know is what it is doing.

11-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote
Is this scratching noise caused by the aperture lever really normal i would be really pacified when it is so ?
I have been told that it is normal and already so in the K7.
I don't really know enough about the electronically-controlled Aperture lever on the K-5/ K-7 to say much about it.

I can only add that my K-7 has been turned on/off many hundreds of times, and the brief "scratching" sound at startup isn't a camera malfunction.
11-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It seems the scratching noise from the aperture motor remained the same between K-7 and K-5.

However, the ultrasonic "Dust Removal" wasn't entirely inaudible for the K-7. In the K-5, at least for my ears it is with the lens mounted.

Nevertheless, with open bajonett when you power up the K-5, you first hear the scratching aperture motor followed a fraction of a second later, by a faint high pitch noise of the ultrasonic dust removal. With your ear near the mount opening.
11-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
However, the ultrasonic "Dust Removal" wasn't entirely inaudible for the K-7. In the K-5, at least for my ears it is with the lens mounted.
For me, it was the opposite. You could hear my K-7's DR mechanism, which sounded like a hand screeching across a clean pane of glass or a nail going across a chalkboard; this was still barely audible, but was discernible from the first sound. In the case with my rental K-5, the DR mechanism was even less audible.

- Jason
11-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

AFAIK, it's a motor.

Normally, if you mount a lens, the aperture lever is turned by the force of mounting the lens. So, the lens is aperture open as soon as it is mounted and closed when off.

If you make a shot, the lever is released and the aperture spring closes the lens until the predetermined stop. After the shot, the lever is brought back into mounted position by the same mechanics which rewinds the shutter curtains and lowers the mirror.

This spring/block/rewind mechanics can only move the block position (change the f-stop) if the lever is disengaged, i.e., if the block has no pressure from the lever and aperture spring. I.e., the aperture must be fully open to change the f-stop (in A position).

With the K-7/5, the body-side lever isn't a spring/block mechanics anymore. It's a motor which is powerful enough to push the lever against the aperture spring force and precise enough to push it exactly into the desired position. A side effect is that a manual aperture ring (non A position) seems to have no effect anymore.

This change became necessary to allow a change of f-stop during LV and especially, during video recording.

Actually, I'm not sure how many brands allow a fully automatic aperture control during video with legacy lenses.

The noise at the beginning doesn't close down the lens. So, it's not from moving the aperture lever by any significant distance. The noise from moving the aperture lever for stopping down is similiar but not as loud. But if you look very careful upon start-up with no lens, you'll see that the scratch noise is from the lever vibrating by ~1/4 mm for as long as the noise lasts. So, it may try to probe for some start position or to calibrate some motor parameter.

---------- Post added 11-21-10 at 06:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
For me, it was the opposite. You could hear my K-7's DR mechanism, which sounded like a hand screeching across a clean pane of glass or a nail going across a chalkboard; this was still barely audible, but was discernible from the first sound. In the case with my rental K-5, the DR mechanism was even less audible.
Jason, what I said. Double negation and English language
11-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Falk for the explanation!
It's interesting, when you look into the DA16-50 at 16mm, when you turn the camera on, you can see that the aperture is closing for a moment.