Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #31
Forum Member

Благодаря за ревюто!
Хубаво ще е да направите тест на АФ с репортажни настройки със външна светкавица и без светкавица и изключен АФ-асистент светлина.
Тогава ревчто ще бъде по-пълно.
Салют!

11-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #32
Forum Member

Извинявам се,но преводача не е точен!
Имах предвид да се направи тест с изключена АФ-помощна светлина.
11-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thanks for the comments, Falk! Going into the review, I had tested AF.C indoors by just moving the camera around, and was disappointed to see that it didn't react nearly as fast as I wanted it to. However, outside, even with the poor lens it was tested with, it didn't seem to hunt. As we mentioned in the review, it was tested at spot and 11-point (5 point was pretty much useless), by both of us, and it was never off by enough to the point where you start tapping your foot. If it made a mistake initially, it quickly would recover and you'd still be able to take your shot as intended, when intended.

How we haven't tried moving back and forth between subjects, as you're hinting at, but that would be a great idea for a user test, I'd say!
Adam, I'm sure there will be ample opportunity to discuss K-5's AF.C when more users report their experience. It's a bit OT here in your thread. Let's just say that AF.C works great if one happens to follow a number of guidelines. What you obviously managed to do. Hunting isn't the problem with AF.C. E.g., 11point can be disappointing with a pavement pattern in front of your tracked subject
11-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #34

Photos: Albums
Thanks Adam!

The recommended settings section was definitely my favourite. I skipped over the accessories sections, as they seemed irrelevant to me. I was there to learn about the K-5!

I like the suggestion by someone else to continue to add user tips and hints on a regular basis. I think this is where you can cut a niche for yourself, compared to other review sites.

Oh, and there's a typo here:

QuoteQuote:
The K-5 has two control wheels allowing for shutter speed and aperture to be controlled with each their wheel.

11-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #35
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks- fixed!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-22-2010, 04:20 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Very interesting article and some excellent info although, like others, seeing the word "review" I expected something a little more objective - I see it more as an excellent "user guide" than a review. I'm very interested in the K5 but unfortunately don't feel I can really make my buying decision based on this info - worthwhile article all the same !!

Simon
11-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #37

One very minor issue with the review

Nice review. Very informative.

The issue I want to raise is that most of the raw files available for download are PEF's. DNG's would have been more convenient for those of us who use Lightroom. Converting them is easy with Digital Camera Utility, but it is an extra step.

Jeff

11-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #38
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JesseDavis Quote
-finally, nary a mention of cameras from other manufacturers. I know this is a pentax-centric site, but any review should be helping people decide between brands. It's a shame because I think the K-5 could easily have come out the winner either on performance or value, depending on what other bodies it could have been pitted against.
... And how many complaints would have been produced by readers if Adam included comparisons to machines he's only read about with nary a touch or any time with it/them by those folks who'd realized that had been included? Perhaps places that make a living at reviews and have gear sent to them for evaluation by marketing departments can do that comparison, but I appreciate that Adam didn't try to compare his 1st hand experience to 2nd or 3rd hands accounts he'd read or heard. [!]

Great work Adam.
11-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
... And how many complaints would have been produced by if Adam included comparisons to machines he's only read about with nary a touch or any time with it/them by those folks who'd realized that had been included? Perhaps places that make a living at reviews can do that comparison, but I appreciate that Adam didn't try to compare his 1st hand experience to 2nd or 3rd hands accounts he'd read or heard. [!]

Great work Adam.
I'll bet if people want to send Adam and the team their 60D kits and their D700 kits (or whatever the latest CaNikons are), then Adam would be happy to put these cameras through the paces against the K5.

11-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #40

Looking back on my post of a day or so ago it seems a little pissy. Sorry for that. I should explain that when I saw the piece released my heart soared to dizzying heights, as I am literally starving for news of this body, and trying to decide how long I can stand to wait for it. The crash after reading probably contributed to my tone.

The other reason that I took serious issue with how it was presented is because this is, though I've only lurked of late, one of my favourite corners of the net, and I would like to see it prosper. For the reasons I laid out I worry that content like this will not serve the pentaxians well enough (they know most of it through rabid info-mining) while at the same time turning off people who come to this through a search for 'review' on google. It would be a shame if content like this which is so labouriously and lovingly crafted were to actually detriment the reputation of PF.

The people it really does serve, though, are those who have just heard of this crazy idea called pentax, and for them it really really does lay out the whole system in an exciting and accessible way, were it but titled differently.

The side by sides did put me 2% closer to convincing the wife though. Just need a K10 ISO 1600 sample there too to put the last nail in the coffin

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
....i didn't watch the videos, but criticizing their use indicates a fundamental lack of knowledge of how the internet operates... youtube is the second biggest search engine, this forum needs to have content up there, and you need to have the proper links to the videos for search engine purposes.
That is a very good point, . Hadn't considered that.

Fundamentally yours,

Last edited by JesseDavis; 11-22-2010 at 10:03 AM.
11-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by simonkit Quote
I see it more as an excellent "user guide" than a review.
I think that is an apt description of the part of the review I found most useful.
11-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Why does this thread keep showing up in my New Subscribed Threads panel? I've clicked on the last post fifteen times, but it reappears as an updated thread every single time with no new posts.
11-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #43
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Why does this thread keep showing up in my New Subscribed Threads panel? I've clicked on the last post fifteen times, but it reappears as an updated thread every single time with no new posts.
I think the downtime might have screwed up the read markers

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks!!! The review is EXCELLENT!!!!!!

It really helped me make the decision to purchase the K-5!

Thanks again!
11-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Nice review!

A suggestion for next review is to add more setting in "recommended settings" section.
A feature that is not mentioned often is "memory" settings. I'm not sure, but I think it is unique for Pentax and very useful.

I myself use it for disable memory on ISO, WB and Exp Comp, so my camera return back to auto-ISO, auto-WB and zero Exp Comp when turned off. Before discovering memory setting it was not unusual that I used less than optimal ISO and WB because I forgot to reset them between shootings.