Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Spot metering

The spot metering is working with all AF points or only with the central one?
10x.

11-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MariusCTM Quote
The spot metering is working with all AF points or only with the central one?
10x.
Center only if I'm not mistaken. Actually, the entire meter is always active with all parts reading. What really happens is your setting (spot CW or matrix) determines How it's used for your exposure. At least that's what I see when I look at the metering segments in PhotoMe.

11-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There is a setting in the Custom menu called "Link AE to AF Point" - I've always turned it on (it's been there on the K-7 and I think the K20D and probably before then), believing that it would set all metering to match the focus spot.

However, looking more closely at the K-7 manual (and I assume the K-5 behaves the same way), this setting is only for multi-segment metering.

As for spot metering:

"With spot metering, brightness is measured only within a limited area at the center of the screen..."

So, center only, unless they changed things for the K-5.
11-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
The metering is explained on pgs 117-118 of the K-5 manual

I suppose if you're using spot metering and spot auto focus you could assume they are linked for all practical purposes. They both use a limited area in the center of the screen.

One minor complaint for me is the memo at the bottom of pg 117 that says multi-segment metering basically only works for Pentax lenses and that for other lenses the camera will default to center-weighted metering even if MS metering is selected. To bad for me as I own several Sigma lenses so I guess with them I'm SOL.

11-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Forum Member

Spot Metering is Center Focus spot only. Center Weighted Metering is all Focus Points.
11-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The spot meter is about the size of the focusing screen bracket, but often off-centre so better test its exact position for accurate exposure.
11-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geezer52 Quote
One minor complaint for me is the memo at the bottom of pg 117 that says multi-segment metering basically only works for Pentax lenses and that for other lenses the camera will default to center-weighted metering even if MS metering is selected. To bad for me as I own several Sigma lenses so I guess with them I'm SOL.
Pentax only support their own lenses so they are only mentioned in the manual, but other brand lenses with the same level of functionality will will use MS meter too.

All lenses used with A-setting on aperture ring or lenses missing aperture ring should work with MS metering. (But with 3rd party lenses there are a risk that they are not 100% compatible which might disable some features on the camera)

11-25-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The Custom menu called "Link AE to AF Point" has a peculiar effect nonetheless, as it forces the Matrix metering to behave nearly as a movable spot meter.
If you enable it, and set your focus point on a small, bright light source, it will meter for it. This is a spot metering behavior, as not even CW will do that...

Anyway, who knows how matrix metering works???