Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-5 Dust Removal Mechanism

Hi, just switched from 4/3 system. I am most interested in the dust removal mechanism of Pentax K-5, if I was not mis-remembering, Pentax hired a sensor vibrating mechanism in K-XX/XXX era, how about it now when we talk about K-5, has Pentax upgraded the Dust Removal using ultrasonic wave technology, similar as the one that has been proved useful by Olympus?

11-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes- the DR system in the K-5 and K-7 is nearly inaudible, and even more effective than the original one used in the K10 and 20. It sounds to me like the K-5's is even quieter than the K-7's, so it must have seen further improvements.

In any case, I hadn't seen a single piece of just on my K-7's sensor after a year of use, so I'd say overall that the system is quite effective

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes- the DR system in the K-5 and K-7 is nearly inaudible, and even more effective than the original one used in the K10 and 20. It sounds to me like the K-5's is even quieter than the K-7's, so it must have seen further improvements.

In any case, I hadn't seen a single piece of just on my K-7's sensor after a year of use, so I'd say overall that the system is quite effective
That`s great! It seems that K-5 is my next confirmed deal. Thanks!
11-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Forum Member

The K-5 dust features are really cool. I have disabled the startup dust removal because I don't think this is necessary for my use.

After changing lenses I sometimes shoot a "Dust Alert" image to see how things are going. The other day it clearly showed a dust particle on the sensor so I did a manual "Dust Removal" function. (FYI: I placed the camera against my ear to try to hear the ultrasonic cleaner, but I couldn't hear anything during the dust removal.) Afterwards I did another "Dust Alert" image, and the sensor was perfectly clean. So at least for this dust speck the ultrasonic system worked very well!

The "Dust Alert" feature is very convenient because it saves me from having to: 1) stop down the aperture, 2) change to manual focus, and 3) zoom the image to scan for dust spots.

- Phil

11-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've also found the K-5's removal system to be even quieter than the K-7's, which was pretty quiet already. I would occasionally get dust on the K-7 sensor, but not very often, and I do a lot of lens switches. Generally it would come loose with a manually-initiated dust removal step, which runs it for longer than the on-startup one. I've never had to clean its sensor the old-fashioned way, with swabs and such.

For reference, the K-x seems to still do the old sensor-shake cleaning like the K20D did. I'm not sure about the K-r. I never had to manually clean my K20D's sensor, either, and it was usually pretty dust-resistant (though not quite as good at the K-7's), so it's not like the other system is ineffective.
11-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Forum Member

A good Dust-Removal System is good to hear, as Nikon's Dust removal wasn't the best