Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hints and Favorites

Let's start a thread of the joys of owning a K5.

I just upgraded from my trusty (if the light was good) K10 to my almost magical (no light required) K5.

So if you have a hint or tip on how to get the most out of our K5s list it here.
or
Just want to share your favorite feature.

I'll start with a hint......Shoot Raw. The K5 can be endlessly customized but so far I haven't found a substitute for a nice RAW file and Lightroom.

12-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The fact that I don't have to worry about noise at high ISOs is what makes the K-5 shine in my eyes. Previously, with the K-7, I worried as soon as the ISO went above 100!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-02-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Now with the K-5's 100% viewinder framing takes much less effort-especially with the DA12-24 (which always seems to capture much more "unvisible parts")-as with the K200d first I had to "look around"by moving the camera slightly to see what else would be captured outside the visible area and then also think forward how would I crop it later.

..and this is not the only one

Andras
12-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
Closed Account

Big step from K10 to K5, I agree, and all seems very familiar so far...
One question though: AF fine tuning. What is a good procedure to follow? I have noticed that focusing can be a touch tricky - with AF or not, with the matt screen - and that is the reason I installed a focusing screen on my K10. We can now calibrate the lens(es), no?

12-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #5
Closed Account

Next big feature to use, every time or as required (?): expanded dynamic range. Has anyone any thoughts on how to set this up?
1-with highlight correction ON I only show from ISO 160-51200, and on OFF ISO 80-51200. Would that mean that when ON, at ISO 160 2 more stops are available, 80 and 100?
2-any thoughts on the differences between low, medium, high settings for shadow correction?
12-02-2010, 06:21 AM   #6
Closed Account

I meant, a split focusing screen from Katz eyes...
12-02-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
Closed Account

I assigned auto bracketing to the RAW/fx button. Great stuff, and you can change the EV values right there too.

12-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
I assigned auto bracketing to the RAW/fx button. Great stuff, and you can change the EV values right there too.
I've done the exact same. Great feature and comes in very handy.
12-03-2010, 03:42 AM   #9

When filming (which actually works pretty well), don't use auto white balance. Then, just before you start your capture and you're satisfied with the aparture and exposure, press the AE-lock (star) button. This will prevent the camera from flickering in exposure and white balance if the scene changes (a car that drives by or someone with dark/bright clothes comes in frame is often sufficient for the image to change. Which doesn't look pretty when shooting something useful).

I've experienced that the exposure changes slightly when you manually shift focus even though the AE-lock is activated. Would be great with full control over exposure in movie mode. But in the end it is a camera for still images, not a movie making machine.
12-03-2010, 04:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dhenricson Quote
I've experienced that the exposure changes slightly when you manually shift focus even though the AE-lock is activated. Would be great with full control over exposure in movie mode. But in the end it is a camera for still images, not a movie making machine.
I've seen the same thing, but in my case it was the lens slightly moving the aperture blades when I changed focus...

I've tried with three FA50, and only one had non-moving aperture blades when focusing.

So look at your aperture while playing with the focus ring to see if you'll have exposure problems while focusing...
12-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trig Quote
I've done the exact same. Great feature and comes in very handy.
Yes its a brilliant feature... this camera just keeps adding good value brownie points every I find a feature like this

cheers

Neil